U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often does your child gets a new toy?
Every day 0 0%
A few a week 2 4.35%
A few a month 10 21.74%
A few a year 11 23.91%
Only for birthdays and amjor holidays 20 43.48%
Never 0 0%
Not me, Santa brings them (Easter Bunny, etc) 0 0%
Other 3 6.52%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:47 AM

4,218 posts, read 7,865,258 times

Advertisements

... well, for older children it may mean electronics, gadgets, cars, islands...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 10:08 AM

650 posts, read 1,928,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
... well, for older children it may mean electronics, gadgets, cars, islands...
Oooo! I want an island! Where can I get me one of those?

My kids usually only get "toys" for the major events; birthdays, holidays, etc. My inlaws just got my son some Ninja Turtles as a gift for a job well done at his dance recital. I typically don't buy them things unless they are for school (just got DD a new coloring book of US and European maps for geography). They can feel free to save their money and spend it how they wish, however. They often buy their own toys, etc.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:08 AM

20 posts, read 47,751 times
My oldest only get on special occasions (holidays, graduation)

When they were babies or toddlers I would get more often. Nothing big and spectacular. If I was at the store and saw a good book or a sticker or puzzle the kid liked, I'd pick it up for him/her.

I also saved alot of the toys/books/puzzles from the bdays and dispersed them as I saw fit. Sometimes they got too much from relatives and friends for holidays and bdays

Old 05-05-2009, 01:01 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,190,271 times
My son has Aspergers and has a hard time at school. In order to help him behave better and make good decisions, I have an award program in place. Sometimes a good day can result in a sundae from McDonalds, or a Matchbox car, or a coloring book from the dollar bin...I could go on and on. Sometimes it's computer time or an On Demand movie. Small, inexpensive things.

He's amassed a large dinosaur collection ( all from a huge garage sale that grandma found) and now he's earning diecast cars from the Cars movie. I have a stash of them to dole out.

Bigger things are only for birthdays and Christmas.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:11 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,309,681 times
Our son gets $5.00 a week for an allowance and can buy what he wants (normally he wants some sort of anime cards or manga magazine). He has some electronics gadgets but only gets software or games for them on major holidays.

Most money he gets from relatives I take for 'dull stuff' like clothes. I do give him a bit if he gets a nice amount but right now some of it has to be for necessities as I am not working.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:47 PM

1,577 posts, read 3,269,912 times
Ours used to get em alot when they were little, but as they got aolder and money was more an issue as well, they don't get that many. Usually birthdays and Christmas are the big days to get stuff. Makes them appreciate things more.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:33 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,999,847 times
A few things a month, or every few months...

I count little things as toys, too...can be something as generic as a gumball machine goody or clothing for her dolls off eBay - but to her it's as wonderful as something shiny, costing a great deal more.

She is pushing to gather up her "baby toys" so that we can either have a yard sale (Toy Story on the brain) or donate them. We've given to charity before and she enjoys the idea of making someone else happy, too.

Big ticket purchases are saved for major events. Nana and Pop-Pop send inexpensive things for each holiday.

We set money aside from our home sale to buy a wooden jungle gym for the back yard...that'll be happening soon.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:13 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,795,873 times
If you count things like books, then probably every other week; toys come maybe every other month. I have a toddler, though, so his needs and interests are evolving pretty quickly. They're also only new in the sense that they're new to him (I'm a Goodwill and garage sale regular); otherwise new stuff (as in bought new from the store) or more expensive items come at birthdays or at Christmas, or when Grandma visits.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:51 AM

109 posts, read 62,036 times
babies - I choose them for my gilrs

Old 08-10-2015, 11:58 AM

1,938 posts, read 1,166,019 times
Birthdays and Christmas only growing up. Books are a different matter entirely. They're not toys and they were bought more frequently, though we used the library more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or