U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 03:22 PM

8,181 posts, read 16,193,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Nope, didn't make my kids do this. It's an antiquated practice that really isn't necessary. Saying thank you in some manner is compulsory -- writing an actual thank you note is not.
I noticed that you didn't quote my third line....hmmmmmm

All three bases of thank-you's were covered just one line down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 03:26 PM

275 posts, read 617,608 times
We always had to write thank you notes. Seeing as how some of our family was in another state, it only made sense to send them a card acknowledging the gift and saying thanks. *seriously, they couldn't come up from FL everytime a b-day or holiday happened*

My kids WILL write thank you notes. Their grandparents are in Michigan, Ohio and in Florida. It is impossible for them to thank them in person for things. A quick note means the world to a grandma or auntie. I always get thank you's from my nieces and nephews, or they know they will not be receiving anything from me the following year. Manners are HUGE in my family. Now, my kids and my nieces, nephews are all small, so a phone call or if in person, a thank you works just fine. But when my niece starts having graduations, proms, etc... she will be expected by EVERYONE to write a thank you note.

Means to world to us, but I guess it's not for everyone!

Old 05-05-2009, 03:32 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,158,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asonnier View Post
And a phone call and email don't count to me!
So your gifts aren't gifts then. A gift is something given with no strings attached, out of love. A personal phone call telling me thank you would be a lovely way of responding to a gift. Email is also just fine. They're all methods of appropriate communication. If a nice phone call or an email "don't count" to you, then you have weird issues with keeping up with the times.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
I noticed that you didn't quote my third line....hmmmmmm

All three bases of thank-you's were covered just one line down.
Calling the person on the phone, or telling them in person is not "sending a thank-you note" which is what I was quite obviously responding to. You specifically mentioned "the art of sending thank you notes" did you not?

Old 05-05-2009, 03:38 PM

3,191 posts, read 8,054,333 times
Keeping up with the times doesn't necessarily mean forgoing 'social graces'...that is one thing wrong with society these days, imo. The waning away of respect, morals and values, of appreciation and commonsense.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
Keeping up with the times doesn't necessarily mean forgoing 'social graces'...that is one thing wrong with society these days, imo. The waning away of respect, morals and values, of appreciation and commonsense.
Excuse me, nobody said to throw out saying thank you. I said it can be properly said in other ways than making your kid sit down and hand write a note.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:19 PM

24,483 posts, read 28,844,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Nope, didn't make my kids do this. It's an antiquated practice that really isn't necessary. Saying thank you in some manner is compulsory -- writing an actual thank you note is not.
then I hope you don't mind if people think your kids lack good manners.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:24 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,897,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbosgirl View Post
My mother expected me to not only work 50 hours a week pregnant and with two children and a household to write thank you cards????
Yes, thank you cards would have been the proper thing to do.
Your mother was right.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:30 PM

20 posts, read 47,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yes, thank you cards would have been the proper thing to do.
Your mother was right.

That just does't make sense. You're saying you want a written thank you from a child's parent rather than a personal VERBAL one from the child?

Makes no sense

Last edited by bobbosgirl; 05-05-2009 at 04:44 PM..

Old 05-05-2009, 04:36 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,259,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
then I hope you don't mind if people think your kids lack good manners.
That's pretty extreme to not consider a child to have good manners b/c they do not WRITE a thank you note. As stated by the poster, there are other ways of saying thank you...may not be the way YOU prefer, but it is still "thank you".

Has modern times (email & cell phones) taken away the personal touch? Probably. Does requiring a child to write a thank you note instill many things that a computer & phone cannot? Again, probably.

But to say a child lacks manners b/c they do not "write" a thank you note is a little absurd.

Not all children can write based on age or mental ability...so, to make it even more absurd, why isn't the appropriate age given of when a child should be able to hand write a thank you note?????

Is it ok that a child with severe cerebal palsy not WRITE a thank you note or is that ill-mannered?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting