U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2009, 06:50 PM

985 posts, read 2,552,099 times

Advertisements

The political forum was getting a little testy. So I decided hey maybe the parenting section would be a nice break.
I have posted 3 times
The first time I made a little joke about attachment parenting
I was told my kids may be autisic..I also was directed to web sites for help. Only one person got my joke..
The second time I was told I was "judgemental" because I said divorce and re-marriage may affect kids.
The third time was about bi-racial kids (something I know a little about)
I was dismissed and told I should not contribute to the conversation.

I wanted to contribute to the breast feeding question, but even though I have 2 kids and breasts, I still got a little nervous that I would say the wrong thing.

So maybe my next stop.....The gardening forum....do you think its safe there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 07:07 PM

2,568 posts, read 5,844,037 times
It always depends on the way you make your remarks. I haven't read your other posts but this one looks like you are trying to pick a fight. JMHO.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:44 PM

20 posts, read 47,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
The political forum was getting a little testy. So I decided hey maybe the parenting section would be a nice break.
I have posted 3 times
I was told my kids may be autisic..I also was directed to web sites for help. Only one person got my joke..
The second time I was told I was "judgemental" because I said divorce and re-marriage may affect kids.

I wanted to contribute to the breast feeding question, but even though I have 2 kids and breasts, I still got a little nervous that I would say the wrong thing.

No. You are right. You have to watch what you say here. I read for a couple of weeks before deciding to post. A friend of mine told me about this thread for the Health section but didn't see anything interesting. \

I guess everyone knows it all and we should just shut down ALL forums

No really, I guess in general you have to watch what you say. Not in an eggshell kind of way but in the way that everyone is different and everyone has dfferent levels of tolerence and how and when they get offended and/or defensive.

I don't think you were trying to start a fight

Old 05-05-2009, 09:27 PM

24,477 posts, read 28,773,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
I have posted 3 times

I, too came to this forum because I couldn't stand the politics forum anymore! People here are almost as opinionated as over there, but more threads here seem to be people genuinely asking for advice, not just posting their political opinion and then the subsequent argument.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:19 AM

168 posts, read 257,749 times
HA HA ! You spend your time in the political forum and get your feelings hurt here? I am assuming you are joking. If not, I am sorry you got your toes stepped on. Parenting can be such a serious job, sometimes we don't see the humor. Try asking a serious question or sharing some real-life experiences. I have found this forum to be full of real people just trying to help each other do the best we can as parents.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:33 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,980,675 times
Welcome to the Parenting Forum I'm open to hear your opinions. Want to hear some of mine?

Old 05-06-2009, 11:46 AM

5,945 posts, read 12,733,695 times
Controversial topics will always get panties up in a bunch. It's probably best to just try not to take anything personally, and realize that we all have our own experiences and past to draw from to base our own originally formed opinions on.

This is an online forum, don't take things too seriously.

I like to come here for new ideas. Sometimes someone will mention something that sparks a new idea or offers some new inspiration. It's nice to be able to log-on whenever you have some time and see what notes are bouncing around on here. I just put a chicken in the slow-cooker, and am waiting on some water to boil for tea... times like this it's fun to muck around online and see what you see... it's often less depressing than watching the news and the interaction can be fun. You do have to watch how you word things, though. There's no body language or facial expressions to read, so noting the tone of everything you type is important. Tricky at times, too.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:10 PM

985 posts, read 2,552,099 times
Thanks for all your posts I did not get my feelings hurt at all...I am a jersey girl it takes alot to hurt my feelings!!! I just thought it was funny that I came here to take a break from all that goes on in the political forum.....oh well enough said. I have been a parent of a minor child since 1979, the year my son was born. My daughter in only 14 so I have 4 more years to go. I am 54 years old!! So I have some experience with raising kids. I have very strong opinions about some things....I hope there is room for me here I agree most of what I read are parents that just want to do the right thing for their kids.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:33 PM

3,191 posts, read 8,042,982 times
Just post your opinions and if others disagree, oh well. Ignore the hard nosed ones-the gospels of I know it all and My way is always right........ you will soon figure who they are

hope I'm not one !!! LOL heh heh

Old 05-06-2009, 12:57 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,638,476 times
If you are posting in a thread for the first time, try to sum up what your thoughts are on the topic, clearly and concisely, and give a few reasons why you feel that way. Offer some verifiable facts if you can that support your position. Ignore everything that has been said by previous posters.

Somebody will attack you personally anyway. Depending on how well you think they can handle themselves, you can ignore them or have fun rubbing their noses in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or