U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:25 PM

326 posts, read 1,146,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
There is a huge range of beliefs.
Really old school of thought is that babies can start eating baby food as early as 2-4 months, be off the breast/formula and fully on table foods and whole milk by 9-12 months.
Next trend was for babies start on baby food by 6 months and switch to cow's milk and table food by 1 yr.
More current trend is to breastfeed exclusively until 12 months then slowly transition to the same foods you eat as an adult, with modifications of spices and consistency, leaving out the baby food and cow's milk entirely.

My oldest is 27 and at that time the advice from the ped was to start baby cereal between 2-4 months, sleep on the tummy and switch to whole milk at 1 yr.

However, with my 6 yr old (my 4th child) I was told to off on solids until at least 9 months, but preferably 12 especially since I was breastfeeding, to let him sleep only on his back and if we wanted to give cow's milk to give whole milk until he was 2 then switch to skim.

Big changes from 1st to 4th!

As you can see, it changes and my suggestions come from a balance of my own experience and consideration of more recent recommendations.
LOL... exactly that is what I have noticed that it keeps changing.

So I knew I would talk to my ped when I go for his next visit but that is also why I decieded to post about this so I could get some experience feed back from parents that have probably tried different methods and transitions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 10:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,772 times
The book by Ruth Yaron called Super Baby Foods will have EVERYTHING you need to know about feeding your baby! When to start, the basic schedule baby should be on w/ feedings and bottles/breast feeding, how to make your own homemade baby food(I made both of my childrens' baby foods...so easy and so cheap), what food to introduce each month, recipes, etc. I highly recomend it! All your questions will be answered!!
Super Baby Food (http://www.superbabyfood.com/index.html - broken link)

Old 05-07-2009, 11:35 PM

2,466 posts, read 4,201,231 times
I started my oldest and second child around 4 months on baby cereals. I started with rice cereal first. With my last three they were between 5 and 6 months. I also started them on baby cereal. After they had been eating cereal for about a month maybe less I started to introduce other foods mixed in with the baby cereals. I started my first two with mixing in fruit like applesauce, but later someone said I should start with vegis before fruit, so my last three I started mixing in vegis like peas and green beans in with the cereals first.

Once they ate that way for about a month, I stopped mixing the vegis with the cereal and I started mixing fruit in with the cereal. I waited about a week - ten days before I introduced a new vegi. or fruit. I mainly kept to green beans, peas, carrots and squash for the vegis and applesauce, pears and peaches for the fruit. Then after about a month of mixing fruit with cereal, I just went with straight cereal, straight vegis, and straight fruit. I would give them usually cereal with a little fruit in the morning, then vegis and fruit in both the afternoon and evening meals, sometimes I would give them a bit of cereal in the later evening if they were having trouble going to sleep and seemed really hungry and the bottle or breast alone wasn't satisfying them.

I started my last three on meats right around 9-10 months. The first two were around 8 months. That is when I introduced eggs and it was only the yolks and not the whites.

I did not give them corn in any form until after their stomach teeth came in. I also waited until they were around 18 months - 2 yo. I believe to give them honey. I think cream corn is probably okay, but whole corn is not really a good idea for babies under 1 yo nor is it a good idea to give them honey before 1yo. But I waited a little longer on the honey to be safe.

Just remember that whenever you decide to start your baby on solids, introduce foods one at a time and give them at least a week before trying a new one. This will help you tell if your child is allergic to a certain food or not.

Most babies newly being introduced to solids will still take quite a few bottles or breast feedings as most won't eat enough at first to fully fill the tummy.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:08 AM

382 posts, read 1,195,876 times
I wasn't as meticulous as wyoquilter, but I did about the same things, maybe a few months later to start. My first son was a breeze in eating. He had almost all his baby teeth by the time he was one, so switching to table foods was easy. Our second son had a harder transition to solids (mixed cereals) and constipation, so I held off a while until the constipation settled itself. It did and I had him on cereals, fruits, veggies and then started adding in tomato based foods (spaghetti) that were fairly mashed and even mac-n-cheese and some lumpier foods. That was over a 4 month span of time. I also weened him off the bottle in that time as well. Also remember to replace the bottle with a cup (sippy cup) of water/juice/milk (your preference) so that they don't become dehydrated.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:16 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,952,246 times
I started my first on solids just before 6 months. I plan to wait until at least 6 months this time. I did not decrease breastfeeding at all, and always nursed before solids so that the solids were not replacing milk, only adding to it. I did not use rice cereal because it's just empty calories - instead I went straight to fruits and veggies. I made my own baby food with a food processor and used Make Homemade Baby Food Recipes, Homemade Baby Food Recipes, Solid Food Baby Tips, Baby Nutrition & more! a lot. I froze the baby food in 1 ounce portions (ice cube tray). I started with one 1-oz portion per day, then went to two 1-oz portions, then two 2-oz portions, and by then she was about 11 months and started just eating table food. Solids are really just for practice until about a year old anyway, so there's no rush.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:39 AM

326 posts, read 1,146,365 times
Thanks everybody for all your replies. I really appreciate it... I got some good info out of this.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting