U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:46 AM

326 posts, read 1,146,653 times

Advertisements

In another month my son will be ready for solid foods (he will be 6 months in June). Right now he is drinking a 8oz bottle 5 x a day.

My question is should he still be drinking this much when starts on solid food? How much formula vs solid food should be given?

I know every baby is different but I was just looking for some experiences in the transition to solid food...

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 10:13 AM

3,084 posts, read 6,466,206 times
My belief is that at 6 months of age, any solid foods offered are for the sole purpose of learning how to eat and not for nutrition, so yes he should still be getting most of his nutrition from breast milk or formula.

Babies need to learn how to use their tongues to move food around, how to chew(teeth or no teeth) and how to swallow food. Solids are treated far differently in the mouth than liquids and this first venture should be for exploration.

It's also a time to test foods for tolerance and allergy issues. So take it slow and purposeful

Today many peds recommend holding off on solids until 12 months of age, so with today's standards, you've got plenty of time for him to transition to solids from liquids. Enjoy the experience!

Old 05-07-2009, 10:25 AM

1,867 posts, read 3,598,817 times
Usually you still give primarily formula but start introducing more and more foods. You start with one type of food at a time to see if the child is allergic. Eggs are good, as is fruit, oatmeal and baby yogurts.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Today many peds recommend holding off on solids until 12 months of age, so with today's standards, you've got plenty of time for him to transition to solids from liquids. Enjoy the experience!
Really! I actually never heard this... I've heard they recommend you wait until 6 months...

Old 05-07-2009, 11:35 AM

2,868 posts, read 8,445,520 times
Formula or breastmilk is the most important form of nutrition in the first year...so I would "introduce" solid food more then transition him. Don't force it. Just let him try different foods...let him get used to the texture and taste. Solids are not supposed to be replacing formula at this point.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:01 PM

650 posts, read 1,926,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Usually you still give primarily formula but start introducing more and more foods. You start with one type of food at a time to see if the child is allergic. Eggs are good, as is fruit, oatmeal and baby yogurts.
You are not supposed to offer egg whites to a child under 1. They are highly allergenic!

Old 05-07-2009, 01:09 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,242,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k101608 View Post
In another month my son will be ready for solid foods (he will be 6 months in June). Right now he is drinking a 8oz bottle 5 x a day.

My question is should he still be drinking this much when starts on solid food? How much formula vs solid food should be given?

I know every baby is different but I was just looking for some experiences in the transition to solid food...

Thanks
1-2 tablespoons of pureed simple nonsugary foods (peas, green beans, bananas, etc). Rice cereal & organic yogurt is usually a good start when first introducing food in general.

24-32 ozs of formula.

Your ped would be the one to ask about the formula & feeding question. Every child is different, so what was recommended for mine children may not be for yours and vice versa.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
1-2 tablespoons of pureed simple nonsugary foods (peas, green beans, bananas, etc). Rice cereal & organic yogurt is usually a good start when first introducing food in general.

24-32 ozs of formula.

Your ped would be the one to ask about the formula & feeding question. Every child is different, so what was recommended for mine children may not be for yours and vice versa.
Thanks I did have a small conversation with my ped about this and she recommending waiting so I'm waiting until he is 6 months. I am going to have a futher conversation with her when I go agian for his six month check up but I figured I would ask on here and get some experience feed back from other parents.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:36 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,242,210 times
Quote:
Thanks I did have a small conversation with my ped about this and she recommending waiting so I'm waiting until he is 6 months. I am going to have a futher conversation with her when I go agian for his six month check up but I figured I would ask on here and get some experience feed back from other parents.
Also, if you are planning on giving your child cow's milk at 12 months...MAKE SURE to discuss the % that the ped feels would be appropriate for your child!!! If your pediatrican & you have a good repoire, get into some good conversation about this...it's fascinating.

And don't waste your money on baby pureed foods...just set aside the fruits & veggies you make for yourself & puree them yourself. Healthier & cheaper

Old 05-07-2009, 03:07 PM

3,084 posts, read 6,466,206 times
Quote:
Really! I actually never heard this... I've heard they recommend you wait until 6 months...
There is a huge range of beliefs.
Really old school of thought is that babies can start eating baby food as early as 2-4 months, be off the breast/formula and fully on table foods and whole milk by 9-12 months.
Next trend was for babies start on baby food by 6 months and switch to cow's milk and table food by 1 yr.
More current trend is to breastfeed exclusively until 12 months then slowly transition to the same foods you eat as an adult, with modifications of spices and consistency, leaving out the baby food and cow's milk entirely.

My oldest is 27 and at that time the advice from the ped was to start baby cereal between 2-4 months, sleep on the tummy and switch to whole milk at 1 yr.

However, with my 6 yr old (my 4th child) I was told to off on solids until at least 9 months, but preferably 12 especially since I was breastfeeding, to let him sleep only on his back and if we wanted to give cow's milk to give whole milk until he was 2 then switch to skim.

Big changes from 1st to 4th!

As you can see, it changes and my suggestions come from a balance of my own experience and consideration of more recent recommendations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting