U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:35 AM

2,568 posts, read 5,845,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Liability reasons & sanitary reasons. The airline can't be sued if something happens to the child based on the bassinet or belt they provided. Forcing a parent to buy a seat requires the parent to take on 100% liability.

Also, they don't have the time nor money to properly clean the seats.
I have actually seen the bassinets in US airlines. Also when we didn't take the carseat and we had an empty seat we were required to hold our dd in our arms anyway during take off and landing. She was not allowed to seat by herself strapped with a regular belt because of "safety reasons".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 10:46 AM

3,842 posts, read 9,249,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I have actually seen the bassinets in US airlines. Also when we didn't take the carseat and we had an empty seat we were required to hold our dd in our arms anyway during take off and landing. She was not allowed to seat by herself strapped with a regular belt because of "safety reasons".
Which ones? And is it a free service or is there a charge? Personally, I don't know based on the pillows & blankets if I'd want my child in a airline provided bassinet.

I was always required to hold my ds at takeoff & landing if he was a lapchild if there was an empty seat, also.

Another idea would be using the Baby Bjorn. Just thought about that one. I did lots of loads of wash & dishes with #2 & the Baby Bjorn. May be useful on an airplane with a long flgiht.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:19 AM

2,838 posts, read 8,852,300 times
Quote:

Another idea would be using the Baby Bjorn. Just thought about that one. I did lots of loads of wash & dishes with #2 & the Baby Bjorn. May be useful on an airplane with a long flgiht.
Yes, I used a Maya Wrap (a sling) to contain my daughter when she was a baby on an airplane. She slept and nursed the whole flight... granted, it was only a three-hour flight, and I would not have done that with a bigger baby or for a long flight!

Old 05-11-2009, 04:56 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,040,867 times
We travelled from Ireland to Arkansas with 8 months old twins last year. We bought one seat for the two of them, so they could lay down or sit and one of us could have their hands free to eat etc, plus due to the layout of the plane, it means we had a row to ourselves and didn't bother other travellers. It also meant we had more lugage allowance (we were immigrating, so this was important). We did have to keep them in our lap for take-off and landing, but other than that could use the third seat; we had baby seatbelts given to us for them, both when they were in our laps and for their own seat. It was definitely worth it, made the trip so much less stressful!

I wouldn't use those airline basinettes unless your child is very young (4 months or less); they are tiny and usually cardboard, so not very sturdy. Plus you put them by your feet and I just don't want my child laying on the floor of an airliner... I second what the previous poster said about bringing a baby carrier rather than a buggy; it means you can use stairs in the airport and also calms the child, plus keeps him/her close to you when in crowds. We had a delayed flight and if we had needed to use the buggy, we would have missed our connection. Thanks to the baby carriers, we were able to run for it and make it. Also, make sue you bring plenty of bottles if you don't breastfeed (anymore); the soothing action of sucking on something and having familiar food really helps on a stressful trip.

Last edited by Penguin_ie; 05-11-2009 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-12-2009, 01:06 AM

339 posts, read 1,058,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
I wouldn't use those airline basinettes unless your child is very young (4 months or less); they are tiny and usually cardboard, so not very sturdy. Plus you put them by your feet and I just don't want my child laying on the floor of an airliner
Which airline was that?? The baby bassinets on Cathay, Qantas, Air NZ & Air France, etc, are certainly not made of cardboard and they actually sit up directly in front of you strapped to fold-out shelf on the bulkhead specifically designed for the bassinette. There are two straps that come down over the top of the basinette so if there was sudden turbulence baby doesn't go flying out. My son used it for the last time at 7 months but it is designed to carry up to 20 lbs.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:11 AM

339 posts, read 1,058,625 times
Quote:
Liability reasons & sanitary reasons. The airline can't be sued if something happens to the child based on the bassinet or belt they provided. Forcing a parent to buy a seat requires the parent to take on 100% liability.

Also, they don't have the time nor money to properly clean the seats.
If it's a liability issue then I think if they forced you to hold an infant on your lap (take-off, landing, etc) but didn't supply an infant seatbelt then they would be liable for any injuries if the child was thrown out of your arms.

They probably have to clean seats whether you buy and extra one for your child or not. I know Air France had a lot of soggy rusk smeared on their seats when we left the plane...serves them right for being such an awful airline!

Old 05-12-2009, 09:45 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,040,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post
Which airline was that?? The baby bassinets on Cathay, Qantas, Air NZ & Air France, etc, are certainly not made of cardboard and they actually sit up directly in front of you strapped to fold-out shelf on the bulkhead specifically designed for the bassinette. There are two straps that come down over the top of the basinette so if there was sudden turbulence baby doesn't go flying out. My son used it for the last time at 7 months but it is designed to carry up to 20 lbs.
I never used them myself (when we booked for our 8 months old, we were told the basinettes would be too small so we couldn't have them), but I saw them used on American Airlines and also Aer Lingus. Maybe the parents choose to have the basinette at their feet then, rather than strap it in? I don't know.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:54 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,152,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
I encourage my kids to wander the plane. I wander the plane too at times.
Ugh, I loathe people that let their kids just wander around planes, restaurants, et cetera. Do you not realize that not everyone thinks your rugrat is as adorable and entertaining as you do? If your kid wandered up to me on a plane and started annoying me, you can sure as heck bet that I'd complain to the flight attendants and ask them to have you keep your child with you at all times.

As a parent it's your social duty to try to keep your child from bothering other people in public places. Wandering around a plane possibly touching other people, shoving toys at strangers, drooling, running, getting in the way of the flight attendants and carts, et cetera...that's just rude of you to let them do it. Not only can it be annoying for everyone involved, but it can also be dangerous, both for your child and for other people.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:30 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,469,933 times
Everyone else aside, the baby would be more comfortable with a little room to move and not be on your lap the entire 14 hours. At that age, he could lay in the seat to sleep comfortably, or sit to eat or watch others. It gets extremely uncomfortable for a person to hold a baby for an extended period, and extremely uncomfortable for a baby to be held for that length of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting