Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 06:49 AM

281 posts, read 1,008,824 times

Advertisements

When you fly with your infant, do you buy another seat or just hold him/her in your lap? What about on long flights? My family is in Australia (I'm in the US), and we're trying to decide if it's worth it to spring for the extra seat or if we could stand to hold a baby for 14 hours. 14 hours sure is a long time, but $1k+ sure is a lot of moolah to spend on an extra seat.

Has anyone else had to deal with this? How did you cope (read: SURVIVE)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 06:55 AM

266 posts, read 866,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becwells View Post
When you fly with your infant, do you buy another seat or just hold him/her in your lap? What about on long flights? My family is in Australia (I'm in the US), and we're trying to decide if it's worth it to spring for the extra seat or if we could stand to hold a baby for 14 hours. 14 hours sure is a long time, but $1k+ sure is a lot of moolah to spend on an extra seat.

Well i have flown several times with my infant but it was never for 14 hrs!!!! When i flew a 7 hr flight my husband was with me so we took turns dealing with the baby. You could always buy a carrier that you wear and sit with it on that way your hands wouldn't get tired. How old is your infant? We didnt have any problem with my baby flying but we did feed him a little bit every time we took off to help unblock his ears. But he really didnt seem to have a problem with it.
Good luck =)

Old 05-08-2009, 07:05 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,050 times
I have flown shorter flights with my baby on my lap, but for 14 hours I'd get another seat.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:08 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becwells View Post

If you can afford it, buy the second seat. I have family in Sweden. That's a 7 hour flight for me so Australia must be like 14 hours away? You might be lucky and your child might sleep most of the way but I was not that lucky
I got to share my little monster with everybody and one hour before we landed I think everybody on that plane involuntary been introduced to Eeyore ( the donkey from Winnie the phu) .
But that was when he was 2 so if your child is just a couple of months then you might be fine on that end. So just for your own comfort. Get the second seat.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:15 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,754,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I got to share my little monster with everybody and one hour before we landed I think everybody on that plane involuntary been introduced to Eeyore ( the donkey from Winnie the phu) .
Ugh. You allowed your toddler to roam the plane and bother people?

Old 05-08-2009, 07:38 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,011,917 times
We ALWAYS purchased the extra seat for our infant. No question, no doubt. Aside from the comfort and convenience factors, we felt it was safer for him.

Speaking of convenience, however, I remember one particular flight we took. Our little darling was snuggled in his carseat, strapped into his own seat. The woman across the aisle was holding her babe on her lap. Both boys were about the same age. Across-the-aisle mom was trying to feed her son some baby peaches. As babies are wont to do, little one made an enthusiastic, I-Love-Peaches kick. Unfortunately, his foot connected with mom's jar-holding hand. Peaches went EVERYWHERE, including on the seatmate, an unrelated young man in a business shirt and tie.

Needless to say, Mom was thoroughly embarrassed, young man was totally miffed and baby was completely oblivious .

I held her baby while she cleaned the seats, the armrests, the ceiling... Her babe and mine had a great time cooing at one another. Young man was not so happy.

Back to topic, my advice is yes, if there's any way you can swing it, buy the extra seat.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:18 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
I only flew short distances with a child under 2, and I held him on my lap. For 14 hours, though, I'd really consider buying another seat.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:37 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,205 times
For that long of a flight, I agree with everyone else: Buy another seat. At some point, you will probably want to sleep, and it's not safe for you to be balancing a baby on your lap on a plane while you're sleeping. Some airlines will give you a seat at half price if it's for a baby, but maybe not international flights. It's worth asking about!

Old 05-08-2009, 10:41 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,739,120 times
An Icelandic couple held a nursing baby on their laps. I didn't realize until the trip was over that their toddler had slept on the floor by their legs during the whole trip.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:53 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
I flew with my first son quite freqently from 5 months to 2 1/2yrs.

The length of the flight alone would make me highly consider a ticket but dependant of the age of the infant & the adults travelling...if it is doable, I wouldn't buy a ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting