U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 04:01 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,117,736 times

Advertisements

Clearly this post merits a re-post:

Quote:
Nobody is asking for quiet all the time here - just a reasonable level of noise. Between the 4 other homes right near us there are 11 kids and only that one group of girls screams like they are being murdered. It's the nails on the chalkboard variety so that just makes it hard to take.

I find it amusing that some posters make their kids be quiet inside but when they are outside they have a free pass to go crazy. What's up with that? So lets see, you don't want your kids annoying you but it's okay to go outside and annoy neighbors? To me that is just disrespectful but my parents made sure we were not obnoxious to our neighbors when I grew up.

There are many times when we like to open the windows of the house and we can hear many of the kids playing. That doesn't bother us one bit. When the screaming starts, however, that is a different situation as I can't stand hearing the ear-piercing noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 961 times
At what age is is no longer acceptable for people to scream during "play" ? To the people here who think it's perfectly okay for the four girls to scream ear piercing screams on a constant, recurring basis that are so loud that the neighbor can still hear them despite windows and doors shut and a raised TV volume: What if YOU lived next door to a group of 20-somethings or 30-somethings or even 40-somethings who regularly gathered outside in their yard and bellowed at the top of their lungs? I suppose it wouldn't bother you, huh. So what age is the cut-off point? 18? 15 and a half? 17? 23? 35? What if a group of middle aged women regularly gathered outside next door to you and were constantly shrieking loudly and screaming with excitement? You could hear them over your TV, over your white noise device, during dinner, during reading, all the time. Yeah, right, you'd have no problem with it, right?

Old 08-19-2009, 01:41 PM

3,258 posts, read 7,866,399 times
If the parents don't care to even TRY to cut down on the screaming, I'd suggest they should move somewhere out of town without close neighbors.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:57 PM

24,473 posts, read 28,761,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillita Horton View Post
At what age is is no longer acceptable for people to scream during "play" ? To the people here who think it's perfectly okay for the four girls to scream ear piercing screams on a constant, recurring basis that are so loud that the neighbor can still hear them despite windows and doors shut and a raised TV volume: What if YOU lived next door to a group of 20-somethings or 30-somethings or even 40-somethings who regularly gathered outside in their yard and bellowed at the top of their lungs? I suppose it wouldn't bother you, huh. So what age is the cut-off point? 18? 15 and a half? 17? 23? 35? What if a group of middle aged women regularly gathered outside next door to you and were constantly shrieking loudly and screaming with excitement? You could hear them over your TV, over your white noise device, during dinner, during reading, all the time. Yeah, right, you'd have no problem with it, right?
we're not talking about middle-aged women. We're talking about little girls.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:20 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,678,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
The point is, why is it OK for one group to annoy neighbors with noise, but not another? It's just as annoying, when you're the neighbor, either way.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:02 PM

24,473 posts, read 28,761,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The point is, why is it OK for one group to annoy neighbors with noise, but not another? It's just as annoying, when you're the neighbor, either way.
does someone on here actually have a group of 30 year old women who stand in the front yard screaming?

Old 08-20-2009, 06:06 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,117,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
If the parents don't care to even TRY to cut down on the screaming, I'd suggest they should move somewhere out of town without close neighbors.
yeah. Like the moon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
And-?

ANYONE old enough to understand the diff between right and wrong behavior has exatly 2 legit reasons to scream:

1 - pain
2 - being suddenly and extremely afraid/startled

Anything else is obnoxious BS. Period.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:49 PM

42,565 posts, read 42,449,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
I got into a fight with my next door neighboor the other day. They moved in about 6 months ago and they have 4 girls that I think range from 5 to 14.

Anyway, their girls like to play outside a lot (which I have no problem with) but they are screamers. For instance, if they are playing tag when one girl reaches for the other girl she'll scream at the top of her lungs as she's running away. The noise is so loud that my wife bought a white-noise machine (sounds like a fan) to allow her to read in peace when they are outside playing. (Keep in mind all the doors and windows are shut, too.) Even if we have the TV on I have to turn up the volume to help drown out the screams.

Needless to say this screaming has happened a LOT. There are 2 homes on each side of us that all have kids of similar ages, too, but this is not an issue with any of them - just this one house. These kids parents are hardly ever home so the kids are playing outside unsupervised.

Finally I went and spoke to the Dad the other day. (I've talked to him a couple times before and we got along fine.) I told him (nicely) that his kids screaming is disturbing us and if he could do something about that. Boy, I must have touched a nerve because he got very defensive and mean about it. He just said kids are kids and if they are outside they can do anything they want, blah, blah, blah.

Am I out of line to ask them to stop screaming? I honestly have no issues with kids. I just don't think screaming at the top of your lungs over and over is acceptable when we cannot have peace in our own house with all the doors & windows closed.

Thoughts?

It's rude I told my son not to raise his voice unless he is hurt or needs help or is in trouble. Parents now a days think everything their kid does is ok or cute. Maybe you need to call the authorities on these neighbors to get your point..we called them on our neighbor who road up and down our road on his motorcycle around 1-2-3 in the morning. He hardly does it now. We also had These annoying partiers across the street who screamed and cursed outloud till 2-3 in the morning. Thankgod they couldn't pay their rent..they movied out and we have a family with kids that are really quiet.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:45 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,423,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
I don't really see both sides. I think outside is for being loud when playing.

Sounds like the problem is in the quality of building of houses if it's actually that loud from inside with the windows/doors shut and tv on, and the proximity of houses to one another. Nothing much can be done about that, but that's not the kids' fault.

Sounds like they're doing just what kids do. So yes, I personally do think you're out of line for asking kids to quiet down when they are outside. If they are on your property, you could ask them to get off (so it's farther away from you) but otherwise, I'd say that sounds like a grumpy old man (or woman)--complaining about happy kids playing, even if they are really loud.
I think you've mentioned a big part of it. Shoddy construction with not enough insulation. If he can hear the screaming on 1/2 acre lots with his windows closed and TV on, something is WRONG.

That point does nothing to help the guy at the moment though, unless he wants to start tearing up his house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
It's interesting to me to see the difference in this thread and most others. In various other threads here, you can read this exact scenario, just replace "girls" with dog/waterfall/stereo/tv/power tool/etc. In those threads, people recommend first speaking with the neighbor, then getting the authorities or HOA involved. I don't really understand why screeching children should be any different. I never see anyone say "Well dogs ARE dogs, and dogs bark at things. You've got no right to ask the owner to keep a dog from barking while it's playing outside."
A dog is different from a child, first of all. Many of the posts here suggest doing exactly as you stated, talking to the parents and writing/contacting HOA.

But don't compare children to dogs. There is a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
So my question is this: Why is it socially acceptable to have extreme noise outside where many neighbors can hear it? Is it okay then for me to buy a very loud Harley and rev the motor at ear-piercing decibles over and over when other homes are 50-100 feet away.

(Ironically enough that Harley example is a actual one. One of our friends is a nurse and she works night shifts and is constantly awoken by her neighbors Harley. It drives her nuts...)
Well, I lived next to Harley owners too. Their driveway was right outside my son's bedroom window (at the apartment we used to live in) and it was pretty much tough luck on my part. It was loud and obnoxious but there was really nothing I could do about it.

The way I see it, you have a couple options, some of which you have already exercised. You can talk to the kids (and not just once, or one day, you might have to do this repeatedly), talk to the parents, contact HOA, or call the police.

You've already talked to the girls, I might try that again, and if it doesn't work, holler at them from my porch. I am not kidding here, I'd be yelling at them to shut the hell up. Let the parents get pissed at you, and when they come over to complain, tell them that when their kids stop yelling, you'll stop yelling AT them. You have already talked to the dad as well, and that didn't get you very far, or so you think. I had an issue with a lady about her son, talked to her about it, I thought she handled the situation like a total bi-ach, then her son apologized to my son a few days later. So though it seemed like she wasn't going to do anything about it, she obviously talked to her kid. So maybe this guy will talk to the girls. He's obviously somewhat inconsiderate.

You also have to face the fact that there may be nothing you can do about it. If you let it bother you it will grate on your nerves and drive you crazy. You might just have to learn to get used to it. This is what happens sometimes when you live in a neighborhood. Ever lived somewhere where cars zoom down the street w/their radios pumping? Where car alarms go off randomly? Where you can hear 8 dogs at different houses barking at once? Sometimes that's just the way it is and you either get used to it so that you don't even notice it anymore, or you just become one pissed off and bitter individual.

Good luck, but count your blessings too, you could have 11 screamers!

btw, I've got a niece that does nothing but giggle at every stupid thing. It drives me nuts and I find it irritating as hell, but that is just the way she is.

I have kids and they get loud now and again, but as a parent, I reserve the right to decide what I believe is an inconsiderate noise level. My neighbors may agree or disagree, but ultimately I am the parent of my children, and I am in charge. Unfortunately for you, the parent of these children is not available to be home for them in the afternoon. I was left at home at age 10 with my 14 year old brother, and the brawls and screaming fights we got into are enough to make me cringe. I can only imagine what the neighbors must have thought. I am sure they thought we were complete brats. But they are friendly with my parents and I chat with them every time I visit. You might find yourself attending one of these girls weddings and making all her guests laugh with stories of what an obnoxious kid she was!!

Old 08-21-2009, 12:44 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,745,541 times
The joys of suburbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or