U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 07:15 PM

758 posts, read 1,595,390 times

Advertisements

I do not believe kids should be outside screaming bloody murder for no reason. My daughter was a screamer when she was younger and I would not tolerate it. For the main reason, if I'm inside and she's outside screaming, I would be running out there to find out what body piece she is missing and the other reason is it's just plain annoying. I don't have much advice for you other than to say you could scope the mom out and see if she would be more reasonable to deal with, if not pray that they are just excited about their new house and they will settle down with time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 07:27 PM

6,262 posts, read 16,966,164 times
So true!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
I do not believe kids should be outside screaming bloody murder for no reason. My daughter was a screamer when she was younger and I would not tolerate it. For the main reason, if I'm inside and she's outside screaming, I would be running out there to find out what body piece she is missing and the other reason is it's just plain annoying. I don't have much advice for you other than to say you could scope the mom out and see if she would be more reasonable to deal with, if not pray that they are just excited about their new house and they will settle down with time.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:34 PM

1,747 posts, read 2,619,919 times
Like many of you, I can see both sides of the issue. I love to see kids run and yell and scream (and hopefully tucker themselves out so they sleep well!). By the same token, it is unfair for kids (or anyone) to interfere with the neighbors' enjoyment of their own homes. If you have to use earplugs and white noise machines and you STILL can't drown out the shrillness, your quiet enjoyment is definitely being compromised!

And if they're screaming just for the sake of screaming, that's just being obnoxious.

Is your neighborhood under an HOA? If so, perhaps they can talk to the parents. Let the parents know no one is anti-kid or anti-play; these particular children just need to ramp down a bit.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:04 PM

3,084 posts, read 6,467,409 times
I agree with the one poster about the construction of the house...if it is a high end house it surely should have double paned windows, solid doors and sufficient insulation to keep most of that noise outside!
Even my middle of the road house blocks out almost all noise.....trains, screaming, sirens and instrument practice(clarinet and violin).

Since it's that way, the only time my husband, who telecommutes from home, hears anything from any of that outside is if they are directly under a window right by him. Otherwise he can't hear it.
Heck you can't even hear the doorbell from the back bedroom most of the time! haha

The other thing to consider is tree and shrub placement. If there is nothing growing between your house and where they play besides grass, then the sound has free travel straight to you. More so if it bounces off the house across the street and back to you from them. So, perhaps some landscaping changes might help as well.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:13 PM

2,838 posts, read 8,846,159 times
I often remind my kids that they have to be respectful of other people and not scream at the top of their lungs when playing outside. Their rights to make noise end at the point where the neighbors get annoyed. I have no tolerance for screeching from my daughter or from my son. When my daughter has friends over and they start screeching, I or the mom next door will say "stop that screaming."

Kids should be able to make noise outside, certainly! And laughing, happy, loud kids are perfectly normal. Ear-piercing shrieks, though, especially when done over and over again, are like nails on a chalkboard and should be discouraged. It's just a matter of good manners and being a good neighbor.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:41 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,668,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
I think as long as the girls int he OP's situation are not outside doing their screaming in the middle of the night, and disrupting people's sleep, then they are entitled to be as loud as they want in their own yard.
There's that "entitlement" word again...I guess you have never heard of 'be considerate of others".

Old 05-08-2009, 08:57 PM

1,820 posts, read 3,899,868 times
I can see both points to this also... but... I am the parent of 2 girls,who are also screeching,screamers when they are outside. It drives me nuts, so I am sure it can work someone else's nerves quickly.
I always remind them we need to remember that there are other people around and for awhile, they laugh & Play at normal levels,but when there are a bunch of neighborhood kids together, it is hard to ask them to keep it down...
I am hoping that this will eventually come to an end but for the mean time, I guess if I were the neighbor experiencing the "disruption", I would have to think "they are only kids once" and as long as they aren't outside hurting anyone and are just having fun, then so be it.

While I was growing up,we had a pool and it was "the house" to go to in the Summer for most of our friends. We had a neighbor who worked nights and needed to sleep during the day.
He came to my parents house one evening and told them that we were much to loud during the afternoon in our pool and asked if we could swim in the evenings... I remember my parents thinking that was a ridiculous request and that they would talk to all of us about being a little more quiet.
However,my dad did suggest that he keep his windows shut or turn on a fan or something to "drown" us out.. they were about 5 doors down,so we couldn't be THAT loud.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:59 AM

223 posts, read 497,729 times
We try to raise our kids with the attitude of do unto others... My dog likes to hang out on our deck but I bring him in if he starts to bark. That's just me. My kids do play in the backyard but if I think they are *excessively* loud for too long of a period, I would redirect with a drink or a snack. That is usually all it takes. The occasional loudness is one thing but not every day and not for hours on end. I do believe that constant and continued loudness is inconsiderate whether it is children or a dog.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:56 AM

1,122 posts, read 1,967,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Girls are screamers. I'm one of 4 girls and my mom says the screaming used to drive her over the edge of her sanity some days. We had 3 girls next door growing up too and they used to scream all the time too.

It's tough because you want kids to be able to do that stuff when they are outside so that it can be minimized inside, KWIM? I don't really know what else you can do, sorry to say. But good luck.

Girls are only screamers if their parents ALLOW them to be and do not bother to take the time to teach them not to. I thought all three of my kids from birth the dangers of screaming:

1. It causes hearing damage
2. It causes damage to the vocal cords
3. I tell them that screaming is only to be used during danger and by screaming all the time, no one will listen to them when they are in danger, not even their parents.

I had a problem once where I went a week without my 18 month old daughter napping in the summer because of a bunch of kids on a trampline in the property line between us and our neighbors behind us. After dealing with a fitfull daughter, who had just finally fallen asleep, I went out and told them the next kid who screams would be babysitting a cranky baby. That didn't work and they only got worse to mock me. So I went back out, with baby crying away in the house and tried to tell them the dangers of it. The boy who was the worst mocked me to my face, he was about 10 or 11. I looked at him and told him, "You think it's so funny that your parents don't care that you are screaming bloody murder out here? You'll only think that until the moment you fall off the trampline, bust your head open and lay on the ground screaming with blood spurting out your head and you "cool" parents are too "cool" to bother caring to come to the window to look out to see if something is wrong. So, because I care, the next kid who starts screaming, I am going to call the police and have them arrested for disturbing the peace." After that they did not scream on the trampline. And my daughter FINALLY got to nap. Thank God cause obviously I was going CRAZY!

Old 05-09-2009, 10:56 AM

3,191 posts, read 8,038,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dawg View Post
okay, since taking the high road didn't work and i'm assuming you live in white middle class suburbiaville so here's what you need to do... burn a CD with some rap tracks on it, make sure it's the dirty versions of songs, and the more cussing they have the better (eg. T.I., lil wayne, jay-Z, etc.)... just make sure there's a lot of cussing and a lot of talk about bangin' ******* and hoes, and the like... put the CD in a boombox... next time those kids are outside screaming their heads off, take the boombox outside, plug it in, turn on the rap and turn the volume up all the way... give it five minutes and the neighbors will be ready to kick down your door and when they complain tell them you can do whatever you want... i guarantee you those kids will never bother you again...

I was sitting thinking of suggesting this....except using OPERA or John Phillip Sousa band-type music!!
sometimess you have to fight fire with fire to make your point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or