U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 01:48 AM

5,945 posts, read 12,745,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The father handled it totally wrong. He should have apologized, and asked the girls to be more considerate of you. A teachable moment that the father misssed.

Sure, the kids are only being kids, but since they live in close proximity to others they need to be aware.
I agree.

We live in an apartment with our two boys. Thin walls. Lots of neighbors. We expect our boys to be respectful. There is a time and a place... if the girls are bothering their neighbors, they need to be taught how to be more neighborly and considerate and respectful.

My boys love to go to the community indoor pool. We go at least a few times a week... during the summer almost daily. One of the things we've always done to help them work out frustrations and pent-up energy is to go under water and scream bloody murder. Just scream your heart out. Our boys think this is the greatest thing, and the great thing about water is that it muffles the sound! The bathtub or even a big bowl of water might work just as well. I don't know why some kids are screamers... my guess is pent-up feelings and energy and emotions or maybe even stress... but there's no reason why they can't be taught to let their screams out in ways that do not bother other people around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 02:19 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,125,354 times
FWIW

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ent-legit.html

Old 06-07-2009, 02:27 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,125,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
I hate to say it, but I have one boy who is a screamer.
A child old enough to understand the diff between right and wrong behavior is not simply "a screamer." Poor/rude behavior is learned, not born.

Quote:
I hate it, and I've brought him inside on several occasions for a time out b/c we don't like the behavior. It's obnoxious and embarrassing to me. My other boy is really not a screamer, but will kind of feed into it only sometimes if the other kids are doing it.
...which is also a weak excuse, frankly.

Quote:
I remember one day bringing both boys back home (they were across the street in the neighbor boy's driveway playing) b/c they were being too loud. I told them about neighbors, courtesy, etc. Well, not 20 minutes later, one of the 'older' neighbors started working on his hot rod in the driveway...revving it up much louder than my kids could ever scream.
...and we all know 2 wrongs make a right.

Quote:
So, in all honesty, I haven't given as many timeouts for screaming behavior as I once did.
and what a shock, he's still doing it.

Did it ever occur to you that perhaps MORE discipline is required vs less? Perhaps firmer discipline vs simply a "time out," which obviously isn't working?

Old 06-07-2009, 03:03 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,476,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Thanks for the link. Sad but funny at the same time.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:45 AM

2,736 posts, read 5,798,978 times
If it's normal daytime hours, I wouldn't ask the parent to have the kids keep it down, if they are in their own yard playing. Kids are kids and can get loud while out playing together. That's what the outdoors are for. Honestly, I've never lived anywhere that the kids OUTSIDE are so loud that it disturbs me on the INSIDE and I wouldn't be able to watch tv or have to buy a white noise machine.
Also I never let mine play outside if I'm not home. Are you sure there isn't an adult in the house that you are not aware of ?

Editing to add though that "if" someone were to come to me because they thought my kids were too noisy, I'd have a talk with them. Screamers would drive me up a wall and I'm happy mine aren't. Mine are loud, but not screamers!

Old 06-08-2009, 08:05 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,476,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
If it's normal daytime hours, I wouldn't ask the parent to have the kids keep it down, if they are in their own yard playing. Kids are kids and can get loud while out playing together. That's what the outdoors are for. Honestly, I've never lived anywhere that the kids OUTSIDE are so loud that it disturbs me on the INSIDE and I wouldn't be able to watch tv or have to buy a white noise machine.
Also I never let mine play outside if I'm not home. Are you sure there isn't an adult in the house that you are not aware of ?

Editing to add though that "if" someone were to come to me because they thought my kids were too noisy, I'd have a talk with them. Screamers would drive me up a wall and I'm happy mine aren't. Mine are loud, but not screamers!
Yes, the parents are not home most of the time. They just moved here recently and the Dad (a contractor) has not been able to find work so he is still in New York working. He's only home a few days a month. The Mom has a job somewhere where she is gone until after 5pm and some days she doesn't get home until dark. When the kids are home they have the garage open so you can see no cars are there.

I want to ask something of you, and other posters on the board, regarding your comment "Kids are kids and can get loud while out playing together. That's what the outdoors are for."

That kind of logic just seems backwards to me. (I'm not trying to pick a fight - I truly don't understand the logic. I don't know who is right on this as opinions are just that.) When I was a kid, if we were loud outside my parents would either make us come inside or tell us to goto the park/school far away from any neighbors. They were very hard on us if we were loud enough to be disturbing in our neighborhood. (Obviously, that is where my point of view comes from.) My Mom didn't care if me and my friends came inside and went to our basement and played loudly. We were always told to respect others around us and if we made noise in our own house it was okay with her. (Although I'm guessing it was annoying as heck to her.)

So my question is this: Why is it socially acceptable to have extreme noise outside where many neighbors can hear it? Is it okay then for me to buy a very loud Harley and rev the motor at ear-piercing decibles over and over when other homes are 50-100 feet away.

(Ironically enough that Harley example is a actual one. One of our friends is a nurse and she works night shifts and is constantly awoken by her neighbors Harley. It drives her nuts...)

Old 06-08-2009, 10:03 AM

4,264 posts, read 7,944,576 times
I am of the opinion that there seems like a lack of respect from your neighbors. I have kids and if a neighbor came and complained about how loud they were I would speak to them. I would hope that I have taught my kids to be considerate of others. Unfortunately these days there seems to be a complete lack of respect in this world.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:06 AM

4,754 posts, read 4,105,721 times
I will probably be raked over the coals for this response, but given that the girls are unsupervised until 5pm or later nearly every day, and the teenager is watching three younger siblings, I would make a call to social services (or the police). It is not appropriate (in this day and age) for a young teenager to be completely responsible *all the time* for younger siblings (a young teenager who has also shown that she does not know or has never been taught some levels of appropriate behavior), and the OP's point that they leave the garage doors open showing there are no cars (and no adults home) opens them up to all kinds of potential dangers. I am not saying this as some kind of nosy killjoy, but as a parent and a mandated reporter. These kids are being neglected. Maybe if the parents got a visit from a social worker/police officer asking about where the parents are all the time it might wake them up.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:54 AM

2,542 posts, read 5,831,397 times
Okay...I have chuckled at this thread title for too long! Perhaps someone already mentioned it, but "Parents with Children?" Are there parents who have never had children? Sorry... grammar humor...

Old 06-09-2009, 03:43 AM

6,262 posts, read 16,985,661 times
I'm thinking the OP meant "small" children or not grown ones. The kind that still live at home and annoy the neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Okay...I have chuckled at this thread title for too long! Perhaps someone already mentioned it, but "Parents with Children?" Are there parents who have never had children? Sorry... grammar humor...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or