Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 03:37 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,414 times

Advertisements

Is it common in the US for teachers (especially playschool teachers) to get presents from their students/ parents at the end of the year? If teachers here normally get something, something small "from the toddler", or something useful (giftcard, chocolates etc) from the parent? In Ireland, primary school kids often give something small at Christmas, but playschool/ daycare teachers and secondary school teachers rarely get anything. My 15 months old twins go to playschool 2 days a week, and the new teacher (the old one left 5 weeks ago) has been amazing with them. She's the first non-family member my girl likes! They are moving up a class and won't have the same teacher next year, so I am not sure whether it is expected/ appropriate to give a present and if so, what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 03:46 PM

758 posts, read 1,872,220 times
Anytime you feel someone has done a great job or something else that you feel deserves more than just a simple thank you, then yes it is appropriate. I don't think it's expected but it will be surely appreciated. When you acknowledge that someone is doing a fine job it gives them that much needed reassurance that what they are doing is important no matter what field they are in.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:55 PM

458 posts, read 1,355,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
Anytime you feel someone has done a great job or something else that you feel deserves more than just a simple thank you, then yes it is appropriate. I don't think it's expected but it will be surely appreciated. When you acknowledge that someone is doing a fine job it gives them that much needed reassurance that what they are doing is important no matter what field they are in.
I second that! it is very thoughtful of you to be thinking of her.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:33 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
I have had teachers tell me that what often means the most (instead of a trinket and/or ANOTHER apple figurine!) is a letter from the parent (or child..or both) explaining what positive impacts that teacher has had on the child or family.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,142,567 times
I like to give $5 or $10 in lottery tix & wish them luck!

Old 05-11-2009, 08:49 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
I usually gave gift certificates to Target or Walmart. Teachers often spend their own money on classroom supplies. When my kids were in jr. high and high school, I did have them write notes of appreciation to those teachers who really made an impression on them. I believe that notes from students telling them their work was appreciated was a nice thing.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:56 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
I always wrote a personal note. A friend mentioned she has her children write notes. I think I will do both this year along with the gifts (gift card, some chocolate, and something extra for the wonderful amazing teacher that is getting laid off due to budget cuts).

Old 05-12-2009, 07:33 AM

546 posts, read 1,678,970 times
I would say it's not "expected" but common. I know the teachers cherish homemade gifts from their students, or at least my mom who has been a teacher for 35 years, does.
My oldest son (7) loves to go out now with his pocket money and go hunting for the perfect gift for his teacher each year. It's become a tradition for us to go out one day, walk through our downtown stores, until he finds just the right thing he thinks his teacher will love. Last year he chose a beautiful sun catcher which created rainbows because his teacher loved rainbows.

When he was younger he would make a card (with help) for his preschool teachers.

Don't feel obligated to get something just to get something. But if you think the teacher did a great job than know they will really appreciate whatever your children bring them as a way of saying thank you

Old 05-12-2009, 07:43 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Do teachers get end-of year presents in the USA?

Yes, it's called summer break.

Some parents do give gifts but I don't. If the kids want to give something that's fine with me though. The kids will usually try to let the teacher know how much they enjoyed their class but it's up to them if they want to get a little gift or make a card...or not.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:18 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
It depends. When I taught preschool, I'd get some stock teacher presents or even a flower from a garden. It was all good, even just the thanks yous.

Preschool teachers do a special job, so please thank them. They are not 'just babysitters.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting