U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-19-2010, 01:48 PM
 
852 posts, read 1,136,064 times
Reputation: 1042

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Because this is what it all boils down to: BEING AHEAD of someone else in as many things as possible. Enjoy the world you and others like you are creating.
*the sound of applause*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-19-2010, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Maryland
2,653 posts, read 4,100,599 times
Reputation: 2320
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko75 View Post
Precisely!!!!!!!!
Why would adults have a conversation with a child included. I've seen this and I'm annoyed.

When the cursing starts, then what. Mommy wants a bastrd.

When sex talk starts, then what. Mommy wants a vibrator.

My grandma would say: I know a little lassie and she is so polite. When grown ups are talking. She keeps her mouth shut tight.

When she recite those words, we would scatter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 06:09 PM
 
4,267 posts, read 5,142,602 times
Reputation: 3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
Why would adults have a conversation with a child included. I've seen this and I'm annoyed.

When the cursing starts, then what. Mommy wants a bastrd.

When sex talk starts, then what. Mommy wants a vibrator.

My grandma would say: I know a little lassie and she is so polite. When grown ups are talking. She keeps her mouth shut tight.

When she recite those words, we would scatter.
I don't mind my dd being around while I have conversations with adults. Most adult conversations that I have don't center around sex and vibrators nor do they involve a lot of cursing so I'm not worried that she's going to pick up anything negative. She's too young to participate and would much rather play if other kids are around. I don't mind if she sticks around (as long as she's not interrupting) and I don't mind if she goes off and finds something else to do. I don't see it as a black and white issue nor do I see it as being a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Maryland
2,653 posts, read 4,100,599 times
Reputation: 2320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I don't mind my dd being around while I have conversations with adults. Most adult conversations that I have don't center around sex and vibrators nor do they involve a lot of cursing so I'm not worried that she's going to pick up anything negative. She's too young to participate and would much rather play if other kids are around. I don't mind if she sticks around (as long as she's not interrupting) and I don't mind if she goes off and finds something else to do. I don't see it as a black and white issue nor do I see it as being a big deal.
When, did I say it was black or white?? I didn't mention race.


I said, I found this behavior annoying. With this, I always ask my friends are your kids coming. Then, I know what we can and can't talk about.
This is when kids are more mature, then their peers. A know it all.

Needless to say, friend or not...ANNOYING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 06:59 PM
 
4,267 posts, read 5,142,602 times
Reputation: 3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
When, did I say it was black or white?? I didn't mention race.


I said, I found this behavior annoying. With this, I always ask my friends are your kids coming. Then, I know what we can and can't talk about.
This is when kids are more mature, then their peers. A know it all.

Needless to say, friend or not...ANNOYING.
I didn't say anything about race either.

When I said that I don't think of it as a black or white issue I was referring to it not being a simple issue where there is only one right or only one wrong answer. There are too many different factors to take into account like the ages of the children, their maturity level, the topic of conversation, the adults involved, the setting, etc. Kids won't be included in all adult conversations nor will they be excluded from all adult conversations. That's what I meant when I said that it's not a black or white issue.

Definition "black and white" - Collins English Cobuild Dictionary & Thesaurus, spelling "black and white" - Reverso
Quote:
3 adj A black and white issue or situation is one which involves issues which seem simple and therefore easy to make decisions about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 07:09 PM
 
Location: Maryland
2,653 posts, read 4,100,599 times
Reputation: 2320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I didn't say anything about race either.

When I said that I don't think of it as a black or white issue I was referring to it not being a simple issue where there is only one right or only one wrong answer. There are too many different factors to take into account like the ages of the children, their maturity level, the topic of conversation, the adults involved, the setting, etc. Kids won't be included in all adult conversations nor will they be excluded from all adult conversations. That's what I meant when I said that it's not a black or white issue.

Definition "black and white" - Collins English Cobuild Dictionary & Thesaurus, spelling "black and white" - Reverso
Children should know their places. Some parents think everyone wants to engage with "their precious". Actually, we don't. This is some parents and childfree people. You are having a conversation and little Sally says, I remember the time ... wth! If I wanted to have a conversation with children, I could stay at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 07:54 PM
 
4,267 posts, read 5,142,602 times
Reputation: 3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
Children should know their places. Some parents think everyone wants to engage with "their precious". Actually, we don't. This is some parents and childfree people. You are having a conversation and little Sally says, I remember the time ... wth! If I wanted to have a conversation with children, I could stay at home.
So you're saying that it's never OK for kids to be involved in conversations among adults? That's fine that you feel that way, I just don't' think it's very realistic. Kids are a part of our society, like it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Maryland
2,653 posts, read 4,100,599 times
Reputation: 2320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
So you're saying that it's never OK for kids to be involved in conversations among adults? That's fine that you feel that way, I just don't' think it's very realistic. Kids are a part of our society, like it or not.
Not saying kids should be banished from society. Saying, you shouldn't allow kids into adult conversations. If adults are asking questions, yes. How is school. You like your teacher. After conversation, find some place to play.

Like I said, if I wanted to talk to your precious I would stay home and talk to mine. Adult time is just that...Adult time.

Let's say, your friend comes over for some girl time. She leaves her children home. Next thing, your freakin kid is seating there at the table. I say again...wth! Mommy, you remember that time ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2010, 12:26 AM
 
43,012 posts, read 89,000,336 times
Reputation: 30256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
Not saying kids should be banished from society. Saying, you shouldn't allow kids into adult conversations. If adults are asking questions, yes. How is school. You like your teacher. After conversation, find some place to play.

Like I said, if I wanted to talk to your precious I would stay home and talk to mine. Adult time is just that...Adult time.

Let's say, your friend comes over for some girl time. She leaves her children home. Next thing, your freakin kid is seating there at the table. I say again...wth! Mommy, you remember that time ...
This made me laugh my ass off. It reminded me of how I felt about my girlfriend's boyfriend. She ended up marrying him too. She couldn't do ANYTHING without him. Prior to her meeting him, we would do things together, not all the time but on occassion. We both had lives---she had a boyfriend who was my husband's best friend. I, of course, was married with children. We did lots of things as couples, but the two of us developed a very close friendship separate from our mates.

My point is that we had a friendship that involved doing things together, like going shopping together at the mall on occassion, going to the flea market a few times a year, meeting for breakfast, lunch or dinner at times. Once a year, we would go to the Nutcracker ballet together, just the two of us. We'd dress up and leave our boyfriends and husbands at home for the night. It was our annual girl's night out.

After she met her boyfriend, he showed up for everything. He came to the mall with us. He came to the flea market with us. He came to restaurants with us. It was so annoying. If I was having problems with my husband, I couldn't talk about it with her boyfriend sitting at the table in the restaurant for goodness sake. He even came to the Nutcracker with us. We suddenly became a threesome.

Okay. That was a rant. But I can totally relate to someone being annoyed by having children always around when they are trying to have adult time with a friend. My girlfriend's boyfriend was basically her child in that regard. I couldn't talk around him about anything of significance.

Strangely, I never felt that way about my friends' children. Children usually not RIGHT THERE in the conversation ALL THE TIME. They eventually wander off to do kid stuff. They're in another room. Or they're on the other side of the playground. Or they're swimming in the pool while we're sitting on the edge of the pool watching them.

Children are much less intrusive than a grown man who feels the need to be involved in every single activity and conversation his wife has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2010, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Lake Charles, LA
2,073 posts, read 2,258,537 times
Reputation: 699
When I was younger it was called "grown folks conversation", and we were not allowed to just chime/sit in. We were to say hello, talk briefly then we had to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top