Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 06:04 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times

Advertisements

Just curious, do you allow your kids to participate in conversations between you and another adult? Lately, I've noticed that several of my friends will be discussing something with me and their child (older than baby/toddler/preschooler) will be right there, hanging on every word. This really annoys me to no end b/c I feel like I have to censor everything I say.

My kids have always been taught that when adults first arrive, they are to greet them, make small talk and then scram. They'll usually come back to say goodbyes when company leaves. This is the way I was raised, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 06:06 PM

893 posts, read 1,579,459 times
That annoys me as well. Like you, we were raised to say hello and either go to our rooms or outside.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:06 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
No, no, no, and more no. My kids were never allowed to hang around when adults were having conversations. My 17 year old daughter will now, if it interests her, but I don't have to hide too much from her. lol

Old 05-10-2009, 07:10 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
I do not expect my kids to disappear. They are part of the family and are encouraged to participate in conversations with adults and other kids. If we are having a conversation that is particularly adult I will ask them to leave the room so we can talk privately. But unless I ask them to leave they are not required to do so. I usually say something like "We would like to have a private conversation. Can you please go upstairs (or outside) to play so we can continue?"

I don't understand why kids would be excluded from a conversation with an adult unless the subject matter was not appropriate for them.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:16 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times
my kids were always welcome parts of conversations with adults when they were young, and so was I as a child...

I believe this is the best way for kids to learn how to interact with people, and learn in general... although I'd draw the line if a conversation was extremely personal or extremely intense... as for the latter, I'm referring to things such as discussions about intense topics that are in the news at times-- I don't think young kids should be exposed to that sort of thing.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:51 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,469 times
The first thing is that my kids must not interrupt. Sometimes they will call mum, dad as they come into the room to attract our attention but as soon as they see that we are engaged in a conversation with an adult they must stop and be quiet. Actually any conversation even with another child, they must not pester but just stand and wait for my wife or I to complete the other conversation and talk to them. They may say something like 'excuse me I will ask later' and then leave without having to wait for an acknowledgement. That way they are not trapped waiting forever and nor do they seem rude by just walking away before we have acknowledged them.

If I were to discuss something that I did not want them to hear then I would either ask them to leave the room or I would go to a room with the other adult and talk with the adult there.

If it is like a BBQ or dinner party and the adults are talking then the kids can listen in but must not but in with a oppinion until they are asked.

We are very strict on this. Our adult friends will usually invite our kids to participate because they know our position.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:06 PM

758 posts, read 1,871,515 times
We don't make our kids leave when we have visitors or are engaged in conversation with other adults, unless they start to butt in to the conversation. We as kids were never asked to go away either unless we started to butt in to the adult talk. Usually the "adult" conversations start after they go to bed anyway.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:14 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
We don't make our kids leave when we have visitors or are engaged in conversation with other adults, unless they start to butt in to the conversation. We as kids were never asked to go away either unless we started to butt in to the adult talk. Usually the "adult" conversations start after they go to bed anyway.
I agree. Spending time with adults is how kids develop their vocabularies and language skills.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:25 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,067,984 times
I allow mine to listen. I might ask what they think, otherwise they have been taught to keep quiet. Lately my youngest has been having issues with this. She has been getting in trouble for speaking up without being asked.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:45 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I do not expect my kids to disappear. They are part of the family and are encouraged to participate in conversations with adults and other kids. If we are having a conversation that is particularly adult I will ask them to leave the room so we can talk privately. But unless I ask them to leave they are not required to do so. I usually say something like "We would like to have a private conversation. Can you please go upstairs (or outside) to play so we can continue?"

I don't understand why kids would be excluded from a conversation with an adult unless the subject matter was not appropriate for them.
I agree with this. That said, if one of the kids is chiming in a lot on a conversation that has nothing to do with them (and usually it's something that they have no clue what they're even talking about), I usually suggest that they find something else to do. Not that they have to be out of sight or earshot, but random and unrelated comments are not encouraged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting