U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:32 AM

11,615 posts, read 19,731,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The school is just following through with it's policies. It often times, cannot determine who started what etc etc. If they had to determine who started each and every fight/argument, there would be no teaching or learning going on. So the easy answer is, both parties get suspended.
You know what, if it is true that they really did not know who started it I would say fine. But this is not the case here. The school administrators KNOW what happened, they every ADMITTED that the OP's DD is not at fault. Yet, they are punishing her as well. That is just laziness.....and it's unfair.

Quote:
They are between a rock and a hard place.
No they are not. They know what happened and they are CHOOSING to punish a person who was simply defending herself.

Quote:
The administration more than likely does know who the troublemaker is but it's hands are tied. Your DD does deserve to protect herself and the school should be able to give her "alternatives" (hah). I would indeed ask them what they intended to do about the bullying and keep records of everything that has happened and their response. Let them know you are doing this. And I would certainly tell DD she was within her rights to protect herself, suspension or not.
Their hands are NOT tied. They are CHOOSING this action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 07:53 AM

4,507 posts, read 7,829,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Wait, wait, wait! Why does she have to sit on the office all day tomorrow? For punishment? Oh h3ll NO!!!! If the school is making her doing this, I'd keep her home for the day and take her out for a treat.

Oh h3ll no, NOT ON MY WATCH WOULD I LET THIS HAPPEN!
Yeah, this. No, I would not allow my child to be punished for defending themselves against an assault. That is asinine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
press charges on the girl that did this. the school probably has this on tape.
Yeah, this too. I'd have called the cops and pressed charges for assault, you said this isn't the first time your daughter has been bullied by this girl. I don't care that it was in a school....even more reason to call the cops, IMO. You can beat the crap out of someone and get a 3 day suspension but you are expelled (and can be arrested) for carrying a 'weapon' like a butter knife or nail clippers in your lunch box. Call the cops, file a report...TODAY!!!

Old 05-12-2009, 08:22 AM

21,142 posts, read 22,130,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You know what, if it is true that they really did not know who started it I would say fine. But this is not the case here. The school administrators KNOW what happened, they every ADMITTED that the OP's DD is not at fault. Yet, they are punishing her as well. That is just laziness.....and it's unfair.

No they are not. They know what happened and they are CHOOSING to punish a person who was simply defending herself.

Their hands are NOT tied. They are CHOOSING this action.
Until the troublemaker says that no one saw what the other girl to her did before the teacher came along. Troublemakers have been known to lie. Then what? I do think the schools ought to be allowed to utitize common sense; often, they are barred from doing so by district policies. If the OP's DD hit someone (even in self-defense), she hit someone. If the district's policy is that, then the school may have no option. If it is possbile to fight the suspension then certainly do - it just may not be an option. As I mentioned before, I totally support the girl defending herself. In fact, I told both my kids they were allowed to defend themselves regardless of what the school said. I also told them that OTOH, if I were to ever find out they threw the first punch, the school suspension should be the least of their worries.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:43 AM

821 posts, read 1,758,601 times
I would praise my daughter on two points:
1. Being the bigger person in the situtation and going to the office for help
2. For standing up for herself and defending herself...
She did exactly the right thing end of story.

I would explain to My DD that although the school is doing an ISS that I'm not upset with her because she did what was right - I understand that encouraging your DD to fight is wrong but she should know that defending yourself when someone is physically assulting you is nessesary!

Old 05-13-2009, 04:50 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,267,957 times
What is suspension to kid but a day off school? Its probably a bigger deal and inconvenience to the parent that has to change their plans around to adjust to what the school has done, than it is for the kids who just get to sleep in and chill out most of the day.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:56 AM

11,615 posts, read 19,731,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
What is suspension to kid but a day off school? Its probably a bigger deal and inconvenience to the parent that has to change their plans around to adjust to what the school has done, than it is for the kids who just get to sleep in and chill out most of the day.
If my son was suspended for something like this I wouldn't change my plans. Most HS kids can stay home alone for a day.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:21 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,267,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
If my son was suspended for something like this I wouldn't change my plans. Most HS kids can stay home alone for a day.
This is true and hopefully they are trustworthy types

That might be a day I came home for my lunch hour just to check in, though.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:15 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,442,123 times
I'm curious if the OP has talked to the principal yet and how things are coming along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting