U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 12:22 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,186,061 times

Advertisements

Every child is different, we need the wisdom of Solomon and the patience of Job.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 02:21 PM

5,554 posts, read 5,867,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Granted, I'm fairly non-emotional and I'm married to an engineer (NOT a lot of wild emotional tangents going on around here, lol) but I do know how to laugh and have a good time. Maybe it's not on the same scale as for some others but it's there.

Here you go, a joke I read the other day that made me lol, just to prove I have a sense of humor.

Cute Story!

Old 05-14-2009, 03:44 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,466,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Granted, I'm fairly non-emotional and I'm married to an engineer (NOT a lot of wild emotional tangents going on around here, lol) but I do know how to laugh and have a good time. Maybe it's not on the same scale as for some others but it's there.

Here you go, a joke I read the other day that made me lol, just to prove I have a sense of humor.

That was funny.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 605 times
I am the mother of two 20 year old twins. They are great young adults. I have a question for you, dad? If you were being annoying (ie joking around) what did you want your son to say? Did you want him to allow you to annoy him? How would you feel, if your dad did that to you? He expressed himself correctly by saying dad you are being annoying, please stop. You may have wanted to guide him on how to communicate this with you, i.e. privately, appropriate tone and words. However he was simply stating a fact in a manner appropriate for his age. You don't want him to grow up to be a push over, do you? In my opinion, he is likely a very bright child who notices disparity and isn't afraid to express himself. I value that in my children. Blind obedience is a failure in parenting, children need to learn to think for themselves. Our job is to help them learn how to properly express themselves (how and when and what). I agree with your getting some parenting books. Those mentioned are excellent. Moreover please remember that despite his age, your son is a human being and entitled to not be annoyed by your behaviour, so stop it and treat him with respect. I have a feeling that if you put yourself in his place, all the behaviour problems will magically disappear.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:06 PM

12,913 posts, read 19,787,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Adults View Post
I am the mother of two 20 year old twins. They are great young adults. I have a question for you, dad? If you were being annoying (ie joking around) what did you want your son to say? Did you want him to allow you to annoy him? How would you feel, if your dad did that to you? He expressed himself correctly by saying dad you are being annoying, please stop. You may have wanted to guide him on how to communicate this with you, i.e. privately, appropriate tone and words. However he was simply stating a fact in a manner appropriate for his age. You don't want him to grow up to be a push over, do you? In my opinion, he is likely a very bright child who notices disparity and isn't afraid to express himself. I value that in my children. Blind obedience is a failure in parenting, children need to learn to think for themselves. Our job is to help them learn how to properly express themselves (how and when and what). I agree with your getting some parenting books. Those mentioned are excellent. Moreover please remember that despite his age, your son is a human being and entitled to not be annoyed by your behaviour, so stop it and treat him with respect. I have a feeling that if you put yourself in his place, all the behaviour problems will magically disappear.
Welcome new poster. Check out the date of the original post.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:30 AM

4,081 posts, read 3,062,520 times
This post was from 2009, which means that the 6-year-old is now 15. OP are you still around? I annoy my teens on a daily basis just by breathing, humming, talking, telling them to put their phones down, etc. Eyerolls and sighs are the language of adolescent annoyance. Oh well, we all had to survive being a teen surrounded by clueless adults who knew nothing, so my kids will, too!

Old 05-19-2018, 02:29 PM

5,281 posts, read 4,562,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I heard my grandson tell my daughter that she was "bugging" him. She just said; "Good, I'm doing my job then. Now quit kicking the ball and bring it in the house right now."
If one of my kids ever said I was annoying, I would have laughed and said exactly the same thing. I realize that life is not a sitcom, but I believe you can parent with a sense of humor. I chose to parent the kids I had with the skill set that I had. Kids hear things out in the world and via media. If a parent has a bird every time something 'disrespectful' comes out of a kid's mouth, you're just asking to have boundaries pushed.

My kids are now 21 and 18 and although my youngest is still pretty sassy at times, they actually do love me, respect me, and say I'm a good parent.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:30 PM

36 posts, read 22,263 times
Italians don't have that problem. The one true boss in the house is the mom. You don't ever disrespect her, and if things have escalated to the dad, you are in serious trouble. Italian moms don't need spankings, timeouts or have to resort to taking things away. Just the scorn and anger registering on their faces is enough to keep kids in line. The only other people you would be more afraid of would be your Italian aunts. There is no don't talk to my kid like that with Italians. All your aunts have equal rights like your mother, and most of the time you have at least five or more of them. Don't get me started with the grandmother, because for the most part, you don't talk with her directly. You only give her a hug and kiss and then run for your life. My daughter is 19, my son is 15. Never spanked one, and have never been disrespected.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:26 AM

3,271 posts, read 5,889,977 times
Default I Have An Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
We've been having quite a few discipline sessions with our six year old son. Today when I was dropping him off at kindergarten we were talking and I was commenting about something and he said, "dad, you're annoying." I was shocked! I told him that was very rude of him to say. His reply? "Well you are annoying me".

That is only the latest in his repetoire of behavior problems. My wife and I are at a complete loss as our oldest daughter was never like this. We don't know how to deal with this behavior problem. We've been working diligently to nip this in the bud now but it doesn't seem to be working. Some people have said this is completely normal for a kid, but even if it's normal, it's still inappropriate behavior.

Any suggestions on how to handle his behavior? Outlets? I'm just unsure.

signed,
annoying dad
He only says that because you won't let him do what he wants. Stay on him like glue, regardless of how annoying he thinks you are. That's the thing with parents, the minute their kids tell them something they don't like, the parent gets in their feelings and second-guesses their parenting, as if they're not doing a good job. Keep calling your son out every time he says something rude, but consider spanking because to me, that's what he needs.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:41 AM

4,377 posts, read 1,490,886 times
When I was about 5 or 6, I was reprimanded for something or other by my mom. As I was walking away (after the reprimand) I was muttering to myself something about her being mean and stupid.

My mom heard me. She calls me back, and she told me (very calmly) that she understood that there would be times I would be angry with her, and even think angry thoughts about her, and she was ok with that, BUT from now on, I should make damn sure she never heard me again, or there would be consequences.

My mom is a woman of her word. I knew even then, that she meant it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting