U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 09:11 PM

4,507 posts, read 7,834,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Please show me where everyone is getting this information that the principal signed something?????

This is an article BEFORE the actual prom date

Suspended for going to prom? : News : WNWO NBC24 Says that the BOY signed something saying he would follow the rules.

The school shouldn't have any control or say in what the kid does out of school or on the weekends but he DID sign the agreement himself. I like/agree with the point that temptation/girls and women being in lowcut shirts and "smut" is all over the place out of school. What are you going to do, expel the kid for walking down the street???
Look at post #5....there is another link there with quotes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 07:39 AM

3,647 posts, read 9,323,654 times
This thread is ridiculous... c'mon 3 pages?

And within this thread is a post that compares this kid to Rosa Parks? What is wrong with people?

This kid knowingly broke the rules. For that, there are consequences. If he was a person who wanted to take responsibility for his actions, then he would accept that.

Unfortunately, we have too many "role models" who do not agree with this "choose the behavior, choose the consequence" idealogy. How many morons do you hear on TV spouting, "I accept FULL responsibility for my actions.", but then they fight to not have to suffer the consequences? Many. The downfall began decades ago, but this kind of "in your face" whining became popular after Clinton used it to try to avoid being prosecuted for perjury.

My 6 & 9 year olds know better.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:49 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,269,425 times
I think its a free country and he did what he wanted to do, not what his uptight religious school wanted. He didn't choose to get sent to that school, his parent's made him. I'm sure he's all broken up by it, too. Kids only have one chance to go to the prom in their lives. It was worth it. He, his parents, the schools and the world at large will just get over it somehow. I doubt the gods could care less about some guy dancing.

The church school doesn't like rock n roll and dancing is their problem and isn't really a religious issue imho. Some old guys at the church don't like that type of music so they use the influence of the Church to make it a bad thing, when its just another form of artistic expression that they just don't personally like. The Church School is just trying to push their desires down people's throats.

What this should teach other religious school kids is: Don't tell your school your business, so that you can go to the Prom at the neighboring school and no one will be the wiser. We're not talking about robbing a bank here.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post

This kid knowingly broke the rules. For that, there are consequences. If he was a person who wanted to take responsibility for his actions, then he would accept that.
No, the principal broke the rules and allowed an exemption to the regular school policy. The principal is the one who should stand before their little school board and have to explain why he signed permission for a student to attend a prom when it is against school policy. It is his responsibility...time to step up Mr. Principal.

As for the school policy...I don't care. It's not that big a deal and doesn't infringe on anyone's 'rights'. You have the right to go to a school without such rules. Good grief, employment contracts often contain morality and ethics standards that apply on and off the clock. Teachers are finding this out after they post half naked pics of themselves drunk at their bf's birthday party on youtube and then when they get suspended or fired. Teachers aren't the only ones, many professional/managemnent jobs have the same standards.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:26 AM

you can't make a contract with a minor, nor can a school have any say what a student does outside of school hours. Thats his parent's realm of responsibility at that point and they obviously let him go.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
you can't make a contract with a minor, nor can a school have any say what a student does outside of school hours. Thats his parent's realm of responsibility at that point and they obviously let him go.
Yes and no. Of course the student couldn't attend if his parents didn't let him but he also couldn't go if his principal didn't let him. NOT because of his own school's rules or because the principal can control student actions off campus but because the school where the prom was being held required non-students of that school who wanted to attend the prom to have their principal sign off on it. If you don't get permission from your principal you can't come to our school prom. See??

Quote:
Findlay requires students from other schools attending the prom to get a signature from their principal, which Frost did.
The principal didn't have to sign off on it. By doing so he said "Sure, it's ok with me if you go to the prom at that other school." and so student went. It was an exception to the rule, the principal granted it. Why is the student being punished?

Old 05-13-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Yes and no. Of course the student couldn't attend if his parents didn't let him but he also couldn't go if his principal didn't let him. NOT because of his own school's rules or because the principal can control student actions off campus but because the school where the prom was being held required non-students of that school who wanted to attend the prom to have their principal sign off on it. If you don't get permission from your principal you can't come to our school prom. See?? ...
Yeah I get it, but did the Principal sign the permission slip? If so, he's got no leg to stand on. Since the Prom school let him go in I'm guessing he did and that they had a good time and that it was worth a suspension to have a life and a good fun innocent night

If thats the worst thing that teenager ever does in his teen years, then that is one good kid.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Yeah I get it, but did the Principal sign the permission slip? If so, he's got no leg to stand on. Since the Prom school let him go in I'm guessing he did and that they had a good time and that it was worth a suspension to have a life and a good fun innocent night

If thats the worst thing that teenager ever does in his teen years, then that is one good kid.
Her it is again, one last time...remarks in blue are added by me.
Quote:
Frost (the suspended student) said he thought he had handled the situation properly. Findlay (the school where the prom was) requires students from other schools attending the prom to get a signature from their principal, which Frost did.
Yes, it looks like the principal signed off on it.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Her it is again, one last time...remarks in blue are added by me.

Yes, it looks like the principal signed off on it.
So again, if the Principal okayed it, he needs to be quiet about it. If he didn't want the kid to go, he should have refused to sign it. (Then a resourceful teenager sneaks in, but thats another topic )

Thats like sending a soldier to the stockade for going AWOL after you approved a 3-day pass. Doesn't make sense.

Its called trying to control people and I'm way against it and I don't like how religious organizations try to use the Church to manipulate to get their own way.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:21 AM

2,015 posts, read 4,553,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
this kind of "in your face" whining became popular after Clinton used it to try to avoid being prosecuted for perjury.

Oh, so "in your face whining" started with Clinton? Ha ha! That's a good one. Did Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity tell you that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or