U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-13-2009, 10:42 AM
 
758 posts, read 1,597,707 times
Reputation: 952

Advertisements

I had to go back an reread the artical about the principal signing this permission slip. It clearly says that the principal signed the request but told him if he goes what the consequences would be. That seems to me that the principal signed it so the boy could make his own decision on whether he wanted to face those consequences. I don't see why now the boy and his family are complaining about something they knew was going to happen. I also think the school has silly rules but the parents knew what they were and agreed to those terms in order to send the child there. It's not right, and it's teaching that kid a bad lesson, to agree to something then cause holy heck when they decide that they don't like a particular set of rules.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2009, 10:56 AM
 
Location: chicagoland
1,636 posts, read 3,660,324 times
Reputation: 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
I had to go back an reread the artical about the principal signing this permission slip. It clearly says that the principal signed the request but told him if he goes what the consequences would be. That seems to me that the principal signed it so the boy could make his own decision on whether he wanted to face those consequences. I don't see why now the boy and his family are complaining about something they knew was going to happen. I also think the school has silly rules but the parents knew what they were and agreed to those terms in order to send the child there. It's not right, and it's teaching that kid a bad lesson, to agree to something then cause holy heck when they decide that they don't like a particular set of rules.

I completely and 100% agree. The principal was giving him the chance to make the right decision on his own. . He chose to go against everything the school/religion/family stood for and supported and obeyed in the past.

The kid should be punished. The parents should support and encourage the decision of the school.

It's a suspension he is NOT expelled!!!!!!!

Can we say C-O-N-S-E-Q-U-E-N-C-E-S


However, I do not agree with the ideals of this school/church.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2009, 11:00 AM
 
11,616 posts, read 19,756,637 times
Reputation: 12056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
you can't make a contract with a minor, nor can a school have any say what a student does outside of school hours. Thats his parent's realm of responsibility at that point and they obviously let him go.
It is simply not true that a school can not have any say in what a student does outside of school hours. There was a recent decision by the CA Supreme Court indicating that a private school could in fact expel students because of their sexual orientation. The issue at hand was discovered after school officials examined a student's MySpace page.

My kids go to private school and the parents are required to agree to the school rules and regulations. If the parents refuse to agree then the students will not be enrolled. Students can be expelled for failure to agree to the school rules.

Since parents pay tuition for private schools I am not sure exactly why parents would choose to send their child to a school with such onerous restrictions. My kids school does not have the same type of restrictions, but kids can be expelled for drinking or drug use, whether the infractions occur on or off campus.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2009, 11:04 AM
 
1,577 posts, read 3,270,450 times
Reputation: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I completely and 100% agree. The principal was giving him the chance to make the right decision on his own. . He chose to go against everything the school/religion/family stood for and supported and obeyed in the past.

The kid should be punished. The parents should support and encourage the decision of the school.

It's a suspension he is NOT expelled!!!!!!!

Can we say C-O-N-S-E-Q-U-E-N-C-E-S


However, I do not agree with the ideals of this school/church.
I don't think the school should have had a say in what he did in his personal life. They should have stayed out of it. He didn't anything "wrong" hence the consequences were for something rather innocent. Alot of people would have done the same thing I think. How Big Brother do we need to get? Are they gonna tell him which way to part his hair next? Its not right.

I doubt he's too bothered about getting suspended and having a good memory was well worth it. In a couple years the school will be history for him but he's going to have the Prom memory forever. He didn't go against HIS ideals, just the opinion of that church school. His parents sent him there. The kid usually doesn't have a say where they go to school.

He clearly didn't care and as an adult in a couple years will probably go his own way without people telling him what he "has to do". Good for him for having his own mind about something which in this case was not a matter of Good vs Evil or Right vs Wrong. He just wanted to do a normal high school event. big whoop.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2009, 11:07 AM
 
1,577 posts, read 3,270,450 times
Reputation: 530
Well that stinks then. Kids are just pawns to what the parents and administrators tell them to do. No wonder they rebel. But I hear ya and I'm not arguing , just doesn't seem fair to make such a fuss over something that in the grand scheme is very very minor. High School Prom...cmon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It is simply not true that a school can not have any say in what a student does outside of school hours. There was a recent decision by the CA Supreme Court indicating that a private school could in fact expel students because of their sexual orientation. The issue at hand was discovered after school officials examined a student's MySpace page.

My kids go to private school and the parents are required to agree to the school rules and regulations. If the parents refuse to agree then the students will not be enrolled. Students can be expelled for failure to agree to the school rules.

Since parents pay tuition for private schools I am not sure exactly why parents would choose to send their child to a school with such onerous restrictions. My kids school does not have the same type of restrictions, but kids can be expelled for drinking or drug use, whether the infractions occur on or off campus.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2009, 11:17 AM
 
11,616 posts, read 19,756,637 times
Reputation: 12056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Well that stinks then. Kids are just pawns to what the parents and administrators tell them to do. No wonder they rebel. But I hear ya and I'm not arguing , just doesn't seem fair to make such a fuss over something that in the grand scheme is very very minor. High School Prom...cmon.
Kids are not pawns. Parents decide what is best for their kids. If parents decide to go with a private school (as we do) they need to make sure that they agree with the restrictions the school places on students. Not all private schools have such weird restrictions on kids but most private schools do have some rules that apply to students on and off campus.

My oldest son is 15. If he had some concerns about where he was going to school we would certainly take those objections into account, but we would make the final decision about where we wanted him to be. That doesn't make him our pawn, it makes us his parents.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2009, 11:18 AM
 
758 posts, read 1,597,707 times
Reputation: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
I don't think the school should have had a say in what he did in his personal life. They should have stayed out of it. He didn't anything "wrong" hence the consequences were for something rather innocent. Alot of people would have done the same thing I think. How Big Brother do we need to get? Are they gonna tell him which way to part his hair next? Its not right.

I doubt he's too bothered about getting suspended and having a good memory was well worth it. In a couple years the school will be history for him but he's going to have the Prom memory forever. He didn't go against HIS ideals, just the opinion of that church school. His parents sent him there. The kid usually doesn't have a say where they go to school.

He clearly didn't care and as an adult in a couple years will probably go his own way without people telling him what he "has to do". Good for him for having his own mind about something which in this case was not a matter of Good vs Evil or Right vs Wrong. He just wanted to do a normal high school event. big whoop.

While I may agree that he might not have had a choice in going to school there, that may have been solely his parents decision, but they did send him there knowing what the rules were and now they are defending him and that is not right. If they didn't want to play by that schools rules then they shouldn't have sent him there. Or they should just accept the consequences of their and their sons actions instead of trying to make it sound like poor pitiful him.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2009, 11:35 AM
 
1,986 posts, read 3,471,508 times
Reputation: 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
I think its a free country and he did what he wanted to do, not what his uptight religious school wanted. He didn't choose to get sent to that school, his parent's made him. I'm sure he's all broken up by it, too. Kids only have one chance to go to the prom in their lives. It was worth it. He, his parents, the schools and the world at large will just get over it somehow. I doubt the gods could care less about some guy dancing.

The church school doesn't like rock n roll and dancing is their problem and isn't really a religious issue imho. Some old guys at the church don't like that type of music so they use the influence of the Church to make it a bad thing, when its just another form of artistic expression that they just don't personally like. The Church School is just trying to push their desires down people's throats.

What this should teach other religious school kids is: Don't tell your school your business, so that you can go to the Prom at the neighboring school and no one will be the wiser. We're not talking about robbing a bank here.
I like this post the best.

The boy should at least get credit for telling the principal that he went. He could have done what Jack suggested and not tell anybody.

Another thing to look at is the girlfriend. It was HER prom, and if she is a senior, she should be able to attend with her date and not be punished because she is going out with someone from a school where the administration has their heads in holes.

The boy had the permission slip signed and went straight to the principal after he got to school the next school day. I'd say he is a pretty responsible young man. His parents should support his decision.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2009, 04:33 PM
 
1,986 posts, read 3,471,508 times
Reputation: 1289

Notice he is holding hands with his girlfriend. Another taboo at that school.

He seems mature enough to accept what comes. I say good for him. It's good to know when to go against the grain and do what your good sense tells you to do.

The photo didn't stay. It was one of him and his girlfriend holding hands talking to photographers.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2009, 04:36 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,517,680 times
Reputation: 47458
i would support my childs search for another school.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top