U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 05:14 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,471,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i would support my childs search for another school.
Me too. He is a senior though and finished with high school in another couple weeks.

I came from the generation of risk takers and questioning the system. I am also old enough to know what is a big deal and what is not as far as action at school.

The rules that are important are those that protect from injury or loss of life. All others are up for debate, and in high school, no consequence is so great that it will harm one's future.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 07:27 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,270,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
While I may agree that he might not have had a choice in going to school there, that may have been solely his parents decision, but they did send him there knowing what the rules were and now they are defending him and that is not right. If they didn't want to play by that schools rules then they shouldn't have sent him there. Or they should just accept the consequences of their and their sons actions instead of trying to make it sound like poor pitiful him.
I kinda doubt they knew going in that he wouldn't be allowed to go to the Prom at the neighboring school because they play Rock music. Thats very specific.

Aside from that your stating the parents broke the rules, so why punish the kid? Also with only a couple weeks left in high school, like any of us, he probably thought "Why not?" Whats gonna happen this close to graduation?

Old 05-14-2009, 07:44 AM

758 posts, read 1,597,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
I kinda doubt they knew going in that he wouldn't be allowed to go to the Prom at the neighboring school because they play Rock music. Thats very specific.

Aside from that your stating the parents broke the rules, so why punish the kid? Also with only a couple weeks left in high school, like any of us, he probably thought "Why not?" Whats gonna happen this close to graduation?

Because he broke the rules also, that's why he should be punished. I have no problem with him going to the prom. If he felt like it was something he had to do then go for it, but he knew the consequences (he said so himself) before he went. So all I'm saying is take the lumps that came with making that decision instead of boohooing about how mean the school is being to him. It's not like he isn't graduating, he just doesn't get to walk down the isle in his cap and gown.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:58 AM

1,122 posts, read 1,970,433 times
I don't think that the school should have any say on any activities that are not part of their school. What if the parents wanted to take him somewhere on a trip that included doing activities that the school did not "allow?" It's not their business.

I never needed permission from my school to go to prom at another school. Just as long as the school had my name, age and school I went to on their registery and I that I had prepaid for my meal.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:02 AM

11,616 posts, read 19,756,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
I don't think that the school should have any say on any activities that are not part of their school. What if the parents wanted to take him somewhere on a trip that included doing activities that the school did not "allow?" It's not their business.

I never needed permission from my school to go to prom at another school. Just as long as the school had my name, age and school I went to on their registery and I that I had prepaid for my meal.
Did your kids go to private school? Private schools are very upfront about the fact that you can get in trouble at school for things you do off campus. The school my kids go to can suspend/expel kids if they find out that they were drinking off campus. They can be suspended/expelled for fights that happen off campus, etc.

If parents do not agree with school rules they should not place their child in the position of having to decide exactly which school rules are reasonable and which ones are not.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:04 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,270,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
Because he broke the rules also, that's why he should be punished. I have no problem with him going to the prom. If he felt like it was something he had to do then go for it, but he knew the consequences (he said so himself) before he went. So all I'm saying is take the lumps that came with making that decision instead of boohooing about how mean the school is being to him. It's not like he isn't graduating, he just doesn't get to walk down the isle in his cap and gown.
I agree, it just doesn't seem that big a deal to make with a month left of school. Seems like a "Choose your Battles" situation (for the Principal mostly).

Old 05-14-2009, 08:38 AM

25,907 posts, read 35,048,984 times
I can't imagine spending money to send my kids somewhere like that, so I can't really say. I suppose I would just allow my son to go to the dance and then just allow him to be suspended.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Did your kids go to private school? Private schools are very upfront about the fact that you can get in trouble at school for things you do off campus. The school my kids go to can suspend/expel kids if they find out that they were drinking off campus. They can be suspended/expelled for fights that happen off campus, etc.

If parents do not agree with school rules they should not place their child in the position of having to decide exactly which school rules are reasonable and which ones are not.
That's different. Drinking is against the law at high school age so that can't compare to a kid breaking a silly rule.

It's absurd for even private schools to think they should be able to dictate anybody's behavior in his/her private life. I understand on campus or at it's own school functions, but not any other time. That puts the school above any other authority, including the parents in the overall life of every student. Kind of like prison.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:32 AM

25,907 posts, read 35,048,984 times
Stormy, years ago I applied to a small college near my house because they offered a certificatin program that interested me. They had night school, I probably could've gotten financial aid, and it seemed ideal. They are a Christian college, but so what, I thought. I'm Christian, big deal. Then I saw that one of the things I had to agree to, as a student, was not only to not be gay but also not to associate with gay people. I told them I couldn't sign it. The administrator told me their night program was run by different folks and not to worry about it, but I told her politely that I couldn't in good conscience lie on paper or give any money to that school.

So yes, some of them do try to meddle in people's personal lives.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:42 AM

Julia, It's truely frightening that a school will be blatantly prejudiced and expect it's students to be as well. It would be like the Klan to own it's own brainwashing school so kids can learn how to be jerks at an early age even better than just from their parents.

Wouldn't you think that that kind of thing would gather a tremendous amount of negative attention from all those special interest groups?

A college, christian or not, should not be so prejudiced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or