U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 09:49 AM

4,507 posts, read 7,834,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
That's different. Drinking is against the law at high school age so that can't compare to a kid breaking a silly rule.

It's absurd for even private schools to think they should be able to dictate anybody's behavior in his/her private life. I understand on campus or at it's own school functions, but not any other time. That puts the school above any other authority, including the parents in the overall life of every student. Kind of like prison.
You all keep saying 'It's his private life, it's none of their business...."

Your private life does not take place at a school prom...that is public. This is exactly the same concept I mentioned earlier regarding morality and ethics clauses in employment contracts. What you do in private is fine...but once that becomes PUBLIC and reflects on your business, your employer and in this case your school then (right or wrong) the business or school can decide if they want to be associated with such public actions.

This school doesn't want to be associated, or have it's students associated with dancing and rock music.

I think the principal was a big pansy and should have enforced school rules instead of signing the permission slip and then allowing the student to 'decide to do the right thing'. He was trying not to be accountable but it's his school, his rules to enforce and he shouldn't shy away from enforcing them. If you really don't want kids to go to proms, don't sign the permission slip. Easy peasy...be a man and support the principles you were hired to promote.

If you are a parent and you think it's important enough to allow your student to be suspended for going to the prom, then stand up and say so. Don't try to make the school out to be some bully.

If you want your kid to go to the prom and not be suspended then you need to find another school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 09:53 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,269,425 times
Granted. But there's only a couple weeks left of school for him at all. So why bother. Its a one shot deal to go to the Prom. Its worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post

Your private life does not take place at a school prom...that is public. This is exactly the same concept I mentioned earlier regarding morality and ethics clauses in employment contracts. What you do in private is fine...but once that becomes PUBLIC and reflects on your business, your employer and in this case your school then (right or wrong) the business or school can decide if they want to be associated with such public actions.

This school doesn't want to be associated, or have it's students associated with dancing and rock music.

I think the principal was a big pansy and should have enforced school rules instead of signing the permission slip and then allowing the student to 'decide to do the right thing'. He was trying not to be accountable but it's his school, his rules to enforce and he shouldn't shy away from enforcing them. If you really don't want kids to go to proms, don't sign the permission slip. Easy peasy...be a man and support the principles you were hired to promote.

If you are a parent and you think it's important enough to allow your student to be suspended for going to the prom, then stand up and say so. Don't try to make the school out to be some bully.

If you want your kid to go to the prom and not be suspended then you need to find another school.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:03 AM

11,615 posts, read 19,748,410 times
Quote:
That's different. Drinking is against the law at high school age so that can't compare to a kid breaking a silly rule.

It's absurd for even private schools to think they should be able to dictate anybody's behavior in his/her private life. I understand on campus or at it's own school functions, but not any other time. That puts the school above any other authority, including the parents in the overall life of every student. Kind of like prison.
The biggest difference between prison and a private school is that you can remove your child from any private school where you feel the rules are silly.

School rules do not always involve things that are illegal though. Sometimes they can be quite onerous (as the case we are discussing). Parents need to decide what they can deal with and what they cannot.

In a local story several students were expelled from a private Catholic school for saying mean things about a teacher on their MySpace pages.

In CA a court ruled that a private school could expel students because they were lesbians.

Neither of these things are illegal, nor do they involve on campus behavior (the lesbian charges sprung from a student's Facebook page, not on campus behavior) yet private schools can and do regulate these things.

This story should be a warning to parents to investigate the school rules PRIOR TO agreeing to them.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:45 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,470,520 times
Quote:

Instead of 'private', maybe it should be 'in their lives OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL AND OFF SCHOOL PROPERTY'.

How outrageous to even have the notion that kids who attend that school will never ride in a car with a radio on a rock station. Say one of the students was in a car with Uncle Joe or neighbor Hank. Uncle Joe or neighbor Hank flips on the radio to a rock station (Why only rock? Why not country, rap (the worst), classical, etc.?). Should the student close his ears? Get out of the car? Shoot the person who turned it on? What?

Say one of the students hears some good old down home gospel and starts to wiggle his/her behind and moves his/her feet just a little, or just bobs his/her head to the music. Should that student be suspended from school? What if no one saw it happen? That student will most certainly go to h*ll because of it.

Say one of the students, say a boy, was with a friend who was a girl, and it was dark as they walked along the street while he was walking her home. Say she gets frightened and grabbed his hand and held on because she wanted to feel safe. Should he be suspended?

The boy in question here had a signed paper from his principal telling him it was ok for him to attend that prom. He went, then informed the principal after that he did. The principal promptly suspended the boy. What a gutless principal. Kudos to the boy.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Instead of 'private', maybe it should be 'in their lives OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL AND OFF SCHOOL PROPERTY'.

How outrageous to even have the notion that kids who attend that school will never ride in a car with a radio on a rock station. Say one of the students was in a car with Uncle Joe or neighbor Hank. Uncle Joe or neighbor Hank flips on the radio to a rock station (Why only rock? Why not country, rap (the worst), classical, etc.?). Should the student close his ears? Get out of the car? Shoot the person who turned it on? What?

Say one of the students hears some good old down home gospel and starts to wiggle his/her behind and moves his/her feet just a little, or just bobs his/her head to the music. Should that student be suspended from school? What if no one saw it happen? That student will most certainly go to h*ll because of it.

Say one of the students, say a boy, was with a friend who was a girl, and it was dark as they walked along the street while he was walking her home. Say she gets frightened and grabbed his hand and held on because she wanted to feel safe. Should he be suspended?

The boy in question here had a signed paper from his principal telling him it was ok for him to attend that prom. He went, then informed the principal after that he did. The principal promptly suspended the boy. What a gutless principal. Kudos to the boy.
Some Baptists are still VERY conservative when it comes to music, dancing and I'd guess the fact that some girls going to prom are dressed in a less than modest attire might be a factor as well. I don't suppose if you are riding in the car with your Uncle Joe that he will be wearing a short strapless dress with the latest 'enhance your cleavage' undergarments while getting his groove on to suggestive lyrics of modern music. But hey, temptation is everywhere. The point is (if I remember correctly from my Nazarene upbringing) that we are to avoid the appearance of evil and flee from temptation. You're not supposed to go places and do things that might tempt you into sin (and even lustful thoughts are sinful).

Some conservative Baptists will allow square dancing (although our Nazarene Church did not) so if you can find a square dancing prom with modest clothes then you'd be all set!

However, we do agree that the principal was gutless.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
...so if you can find a square dancing prom with modest clothes then you'd be all set!

However, we do agree that the principal was gutless.
All you'd have to do is figure out what kind of music would be acceptable.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
All you'd have to do is figure out what kind of music would be acceptable.
Square dancing music of course.

Quote:
Circle left, listen to the music of the carousel,
The ting a ling of the ice cream bell.*
Allemande left your corner, partners do sa do
Men star left once around you go
Do sa do your partner, your corner allemande
Come back and promenade around the land
Here come, summer sounds
Summer sounds I love

Old 05-14-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Square dancing music of course.
That brings back memories. I loved squaredancing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or