Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 11:47 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,064 times

Advertisements

Teen Suspended Prom

This high school senior took his girl to the prom and was promptly suspended from school.

Would you support the school, or your child?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 12:22 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
What exactly is the "right thing" that this boy is doing?

He chose to attend a school with a particular set of rules and then he chose to disregard those rules. My kids go to a private school and every year we are sent a contract which spells out all the school rules. In addition, the kids get a handbook which they are required to bring home, show their parents, and bring back to school, signed by both the parents and the student.

The way I see it is the boy and his family decided to send him to a school with some very restrictive rules and then decided they don't like those rules. IMO it is not the "right thing" to agree to a set of rules and then not live up to your agreement.

Now-the rules may be totally unreasonable (I think they're crazy) but if you choose a school like that then you choose those rules.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:40 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,933,235 times
If by the right thing you mean, helping an old lady across the street (right thing, sure)

-or-

Him and his buddies are robbing said old lady, and he stops them from killing her (still right thing, no?)

the right thing can be very subjective, but I have to agree with momma bear on this one, he was warned not to go and went anyway. If anything he broke the rule and was punished for it (after fair warning as well)

If they didn't like the rules they should have never enrolled him. Not I imagine a media circus will ensue about these young lovers and his decision to blatanlty disregard the rules of the private school for the sake of love (I guess that will be the spin)

Old 05-12-2009, 12:45 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
Well, since I would not choose a school with that type of strict policies, I wouldn't have to worry about it. However, any parent who does choose that kind of school should fully understand the possible repercussions for violating their policies and make sure their son does as well.

If my high school senior son had been warned and fully understood the suspension he would be getting and still chose to violate that policy, then I'd support his right to make that decision. He made an informed decision. He could have withdrawn from that school months ago and enrolled in the public school when he knew he would want to go to that school's prom, knowing it would get him suspended.

I certainly would not have an issue with the school enforcing their suspension though, as the student chose it.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:46 PM

546 posts, read 1,678,274 times
I've been discussing this on another forum. here is another article with more information:
Ohio Christian school tells student to skip prom (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090508/ap_on_re_us/us_school_dance_flap - broken link)

FTA, 2 interesting facts:

Quote:
FINDLAY, Ohio – A student at a fundamentalist Baptist school that forbids dancing, rock music, hand-holding and kissing will be suspended if he takes his girlfriend to her public high school prom, his principal said.
Despite the warning, 17-year-old Tyler Frost, who has never been to a dance before, said he plans to attend Findlay High School's prom Saturday.
Frost, a senior at Heritage Christian School in northwest Ohio, agreed to the school's rules when he signed a statement of cooperation at the beginning of the year, principal Tim England said.

So if left at this part, I would have to say while I disagree with the rules, Frost signed papers to agree he would abide by them. If that was all, then I would say he does not have a leg to stand on. However, also FTA:
Quote:
Frost said he thought he had handled the situation properly. Findlay requires students from other schools attending the prom to get a signature from their principal, which Frost did.
The principal signed off on Frost going, then seems to have retracted it. That is the issue I have on the situation, and in the end believe Frost should not suffer as he apparently got permission from his principal to attend, oly to have it taken back. THAT'S not cool.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:51 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
He broke the rules. He knew the rules, he was warned what would happen if he broke them, the same rules applied to everybody.

But, then, so did Rosa Parks.

Wisdom can be defined as "Knowing when to break the rules." We don't yet know, in this case. Let's see what happens.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:52 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
I don't understand why this is in the news. A private school suspended a student for breaking one of its rules. So what? It happens every day from pre-school to college. Even if the principal signed off on it and then reneged, how is that news? It's still a private school and the principal can act as arbitrarily as s/he wants. The kid and his parents can walk away at any time.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:29 PM

They did sign contracts. The principal did sign the release for the boy to attend the prom. Is it proper for school to dictate ALL aspects of the lives of the students then bait them with a signed OK to break the rules?

How many of those high school kids do you think live their lives all wrapped up in cotton and never listen to rock music on a car radio or ipod, or wiggle just a little to music they hear? Or hold a girl or boy's hand?

By signing the paper, the principal gave permission for the boy to attend that prom, then suspended him the next day for going.

I, as a parent would support the decision of my child.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:33 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,469 times
This thread is a beat up. A mis representation of what a parent should do.

The kids parents sent him to a concervative christian school. I would hope that they support the school.

Now I am not saying that I go along with a no dancing policy but I do think that schools like this who have strict standards of behaviour that parents are looking for are a good thing.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:48 PM

I disagree. The principal signed the paper to ok the boy to attend the prom. Parents should have some control over the lives of their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting