U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 08:32 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,385,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Ashley Wilkes? HELLO????? OK, he's fictional, but probably the most famous "Ashley" in the United States.
Thank you! I KNEW you would be the one to bring that up! Well done. Again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 08:33 AM

25,907 posts, read 35,034,820 times
Most of the current female names that end with -ly or -ley (Beverly, Ashley, Hayley, Shirley, Bailey) used to be male names. They are typically names of places, becoming a surname in the English tradition, and later being used as first names for boys. This does not count made-up names like Kaylee and Miley, of course.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:39 PM

17,615 posts, read 21,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Many girls' names were originally boys' names, like Ashley and Lindsey, and they are family names. I don't know why the heck a boy would be named Jessica, though.

To Rhaven, you know who "Jody" is in the military, don't you? That's who I think of when I hear of a boy named Jody.
That is the more likely scenario. Many names that are now used for females were originally male names.

Here are some - Leslie, Marion, Robin, Hillary, Joyce and Lynn.

In general, when a boy's name becomes a female name, it is not used by both genders.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:57 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,388,500 times

Johnny Cash - A Boy Named Sue - YouTube

Old 12-15-2012, 09:14 AM

85,038 posts, read 98,948,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Keep in mind that the name Terry/Terri is usually short for Terrance (male forename) or Theresa (female forename). For me, the name Terry usually invokes the image of a man, not a woman.

Names like Robin, Ashley, and Shannon are names that I assume to belong to females when I hear them. I've known many female Ashleys, several female Robins, a few female Shannons, and one male Shannon. This is, of course, just my experience.

Personally, I prefer non-gender-neutral, traditional names for children...call me old-fashioned.
Terry/Terri are (is?) also names in their own right these days, or rather I should say in my generation (late 40s/50s). You don't see many little boys or girls with these names today.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:05 PM

51,417 posts, read 50,668,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
That is the more likely scenario. Many names that are now used for females were originally male names.

Here are some - Leslie, Marion, Robin, Hillary, Joyce and Lynn.

In general, when a boy's name becomes a female name, it is not used by both genders.
Joyce Kilmer comes to mind.

Leslie (Bob) Hope, also, and Marion Morrison, a/k/a John Wayne.

I think Robin for a man is more common in the UK than here.

Another name that went male to female is Kelly. I have a male coworker named Kelly.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:28 PM

5,335 posts, read 7,678,120 times
This thread reminds me of a Fleetwood Mac concert I went to several years ago. A very enthusiastic man came in and sat down in the empty seat beside me. He kept telling me that he was the biggest Fleetwood Mac fan ever, had all the albums, named his favorite songs, etc. Said he loved Lindsey Buckingham.

When the concert began John McVie came out first and introduced Lindsey Buckingham. The guy sitting next to me stood up and cheered, "YAY LINDSEY!!" but then said, "Hey! Where's Lindsey?? I can't see Lindsey!!"

I pointed to Lindsey for his benefit, but just then Stevie Nicks ran out on the stage. The guy then started cheering and pointing to her, cheering, "LINDSEY!!! I love you LINDSEY!! I'm your biggest fan LINDSEY!!"

It was even worse when Stevie sang one of her solo songs, she was the only one on stage and he kept screaming "LINDSEY!!" to her.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:14 AM

51,417 posts, read 50,668,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
This thread reminds me of a Fleetwood Mac concert I went to several years ago. A very enthusiastic man came in and sat down in the empty seat beside me. He kept telling me that he was the biggest Fleetwood Mac fan ever, had all the albums, named his favorite songs, etc. Said he loved Lindsey Buckingham.

When the concert began John McVie came out first and introduced Lindsey Buckingham. The guy sitting next to me stood up and cheered, "YAY LINDSEY!!" but then said, "Hey! Where's Lindsey?? I can't see Lindsey!!"

I pointed to Lindsey for his benefit, but just then Stevie Nicks ran out on the stage. The guy then started cheering and pointing to her, cheering, "LINDSEY!!! I love you LINDSEY!! I'm your biggest fan LINDSEY!!"

It was even worse when Stevie sang one of her solo songs, she was the only one on stage and he kept screaming "LINDSEY!!" to her.
^^^ That is hilarious. Big fan, eh? And even funnier that SHE has a boy's name.

I do have trouble sometimes with Indian names. Certain names, like Chandra, sound female to me, but that can be a man or woman's name. The problem comes when I see the name and have to write an email to them and don't know whether to use Mr. or Ms.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:23 AM

25,907 posts, read 35,034,820 times
That happens to me too, MQ. I have to write letters to Cary, Dory, Terry ... I usually try to call and ask a receptionist.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:46 AM

71 posts, read 62,510 times
someone told me that this is illegal in German or it was given a child a unisex name .... i forget.

but any how ....... at my local WALMART there is a person and i kid you not I don't know if ITS a man or a woman ITs name is Roybn reminds me of the character PAT that was once on Saturday Nite Live.

Its voice can be either or, the chest area is hard to figure out ...... lol the features can be either male or female it annoys me because i want to ask lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting