U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 05:48 PM

4,853 posts, read 8,327,000 times

Advertisements

This was in the early 1980's. I worked at a computer company and we had a manufacturing plant. The head of manufacturing was named "Gay"

However, her last name rhymed with that and there would be certain people who would use the loudspeaker to find her and use the full name (on purpose, of course).

Her full name: Gay Lay.

She was also the nicest person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 05:53 PM

4,853 posts, read 8,327,000 times
Smile Being bullied about their name

I think parents need to really think today about what they are naming their kids and how it can affect them.

There is just too many bullying and anger out there.

When it starts with a name, I hate to imagine how that child's homelife could be.

Both my parents had very unusual names, however, I swore I would give my children easy to remember type names and ones my husband and I both liked. (They both love their names).

Old 12-16-2012, 07:07 PM

15,762 posts, read 13,191,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
True enough. I also work with a man whose name is Erin.
Ehren, pronounced Erin is a commonish boys name in Germany. Its just another version of Aaron.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:28 PM

85,014 posts, read 98,876,691 times
Quote:
Gale Sayers, too.
Yes, how could I forget him! He went to my husband's HS, graduated with DH's brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I really thought we had chosen our sons' names carefully. The two older boys never had any questions about their gender. The youngest, named Cameron, ended up with more girls sharing his name in high school than boys. I like the name for either sex, but prefer different spellings, Cameron vs. Camryn.
To me, Camryn just seems like a misspelling, or the correct spelling of a mis-pronunciation.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:32 AM

14,530 posts, read 11,510,517 times
Parents who call children embarrassing names should be jailed.. what a thing to do to a child who has to go through school with a ridiculous name that gets picked on... poor John Wayne with Marion.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:09 PM

5,703 posts, read 15,503,954 times
I work with the public and come across some truly bizarre made up names. Some people actually get pissed at me because I dont have a clue on how to spell it. OR how the name is spelled has no relation to how its pronounced. We refinanced our mortgage a few months ago and the mortgage guy and I were talking about wacky names. He said he had a closing a week before and the couple brought their daughter. He asked her name and she said Dashlandra. He smiled and said oh, how different. On one of the forms you could list dependants and he was shocked when the parents spelled out the name. Im totally serious, it was spelled

-landra (the dash part is literally a dash)

Old 12-26-2012, 09:50 AM

5,331 posts, read 7,669,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I work with the public and come across some truly bizarre made up names. Some people actually get pissed at me because I dont have a clue on how to spell it. OR how the name is spelled has no relation to how its pronounced. We refinanced our mortgage a few months ago and the mortgage guy and I were talking about wacky names. He said he had a closing a week before and the couple brought their daughter. He asked her name and she said Dashlandra. He smiled and said oh, how different. On one of the forms you could list dependants and he was shocked when the parents spelled out the name. Im totally serious, it was spelled

-landra (the dash part is literally a dash)

I believe it, in our office we have a La-A, pronounced "Ladasha."

Old 12-26-2012, 09:58 AM

5,703 posts, read 15,503,954 times
Quote:
WOW.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:06 AM

2,820 posts, read 3,066,220 times
Quote:
snopes.com: Le-a

Old 12-26-2012, 12:45 PM

5,331 posts, read 7,669,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
WOW.

Before I met La-A the strangest name was a woman named Eliz, and the e was silent. She pronounced it "Liz" and claimed it wasn't short for Elizabeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting