U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 07:48 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,273,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
My son still smirks a bit whenever an old movie with Leslie Howard is advertised. Especially when I told him Leslie was considered quite the heartthrob in his day .

By the same token you have girls with traditionally boys' names. Glenn Close? Michael Learned? If those are the birthnames, what were their parents thinking?
There's a tall, statuesque model with a male name, but I can't think of it at the moment. Don't think the first name is "George" though (like George Sand?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 07:51 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,340,267 times
Courtney, Court for short.

BTW, I have a friend who was named after her mom, with Jr. after it, just like men.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:34 AM

8,240 posts, read 14,899,006 times
It really bothers me when girls have boy names: Scott, Michael, James, Alex....it just makes me nuts. Not really sure why. I think it has to do with the fact that when I was choosing names for my boys, every one I came up with was met with 'isn't that a girls' name'?

Old 05-17-2009, 08:53 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,273,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
It really bothers me when girls have boy names: Scott, Michael, James, Alex....it just makes me nuts. Not really sure why. I think it has to do with the fact that when I was choosing names for my boys, every one I came up with was met with 'isn't that a girls' name'?
There it is! James King is a woman.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:32 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,981,619 times
Alex is not a boy's name, it's unisex!

Mallory, like Courtney, is another last name and then a boy's first name before girls appropriated it.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:23 PM

2,544 posts, read 3,451,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I know of a girl with this name, but I think it's spelled Logaine to feminize it.
Is that some kind of hair tonic?

Old 11-28-2009, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,839 times
Default How about boy Marys?

I used to teach in Catholic schools and I think I had four different boys whose first name was Mary. And, the Hispanic version, Maria is actually a fairly common name for boys. It has something to do with being blessed with a child by the Virgin Mary. Looks good on paper but it's pretty hard on the boys, I can tell you.

Virtually every male Mary or Maria approached me and asked that they be called by their middle names which were more traditional male names. But I had one male Mary whose mother also called on me and made it very clear that she named her son Mary and wanted him called that.

I also notice that this particular Mary had unusually long hair for a boy and some days looked like it just came out of curlers when he arrived at school. And every Halloween or dress up occasion, he came in some sort of girl outfit.

I think maybe, just maybe, mom REALLY wanted a girl and this poor kid was suffering because he let her down but being born male. Very sad.

You have to wonder if a boy Jessica didn't come from the same background.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:16 PM

8,240 posts, read 14,899,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina111111 View Post
I used to teach in Catholic schools and I think I had four different boys whose first name was Mary. And, the Hispanic version, Maria is actually a fairly common name for boys. It has something to do with being blessed with a child by the Virgin Mary. Looks good on paper but it's pretty hard on the boys, I can tell you.

Virtually every male Mary or Maria approached me and asked that they be called by their middle names which were more traditional male names. But I had one male Mary whose mother also called on me and made it very clear that she named her son Mary and wanted him called that.

I also notice that this particular Mary had unusually long hair for a boy and some days looked like it just came out of curlers when he arrived at school. And every Halloween or dress up occasion, he came in some sort of girl outfit.

I think maybe, just maybe, mom REALLY wanted a girl and this poor kid was suffering because he let her down but being born male. Very sad.

You have to wonder if a boy Jessica didn't come from the same background.
I know a family from Spain whose son is named 'Maria Manuel'. They call him 'Mariamanuel' like that - all together. It's cultural. I guess when they get older they change or drop it!

Old 11-29-2009, 08:27 PM

519 posts, read 891,561 times
The french sometimes call their boys Renee/ Rene - which is strictly a girls name in Australia where I live.

In school I saw boys called Rene and Gabriel teased so badly they would lie about their names to new people.

It's unfair to the child IMO.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:51 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,811,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
The french sometimes call their boys Renee/ Rene - which is strictly a girls name in Australia where I live.

In school I saw boys called Rene and Gabriel teased so badly they would lie about their names to new people.

It's unfair to the child IMO.
Hmm. I've only seen Gabriel as a boy's name. As for Rene, it's one e for the male version and 2 e's for the female version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting