U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 06:36 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,348,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
(And that's not her given name-lol!)
Neither was George Eliot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 08:05 AM

51,550 posts, read 50,793,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Many girls' names were originally boys' names, like Ashley and Lindsey, and they are family names. I don't know why the heck a boy would be named Jessica, though.

To Rhaven, you know who "Jody" is in the military, don't you? That's who I think of when I hear of a boy named Jody.
Vivian and Beverly were also originally boy's names.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Here in the Dallas area, we have a (very attractive) male radio personality/newsman named Jody.
And then there was the character Jody played by Billy Crystal on the TV show "Soap".

Old 12-04-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Dana doesn't surprise me. I used to live in Southern California and knew that Dana Point was named for Richard Henry Dana. I think every kid in the area had to read Three Years Before the Mast in elementary school and visit the Pilgrim, a shipped docked in the harbor.

I write sales proposals and frequently have to enclose cover letters. If the purchaser's name is unisex or unfamiliar, I always call and ask a receptionist if "Dana Smith" is a Mr. or Ms.
Dana is another name that was a male name before it became a female name.

One was a famous actor: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ra_trailer.jpg

I do the same thing, JustJulia (except I do the REQUESTS for proposals)--see a lot of names that I cannot be sure are male or female--this happens a lot with people from India. Names like Chandra or Mahendra sound female to Western ears, but they are men's names.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:14 AM

25,907 posts, read 35,078,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Shirley - distinctly male before Charlotte Brontė's 1849 novel Shirley.
Also the name of Anne Shirley's son in the Anne of Green Gables series. There are a lot of those -ly names that made the journey from English last name to boy's first name to girl's first name. Mighty Queen mentioned Beverly--that's another one.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:49 AM

523 posts, read 836,853 times
I work with someone (a male) that goes by the name R. middle name, last name. People just use his middle name to address him. I recently found out that the R stand for Roxy. His first name is Roxy and his father's name is Roxy. That's a tough one!

Old 05-11-2012, 04:12 PM

3 posts, read 2,437 times
Oh my stars! I would have loved to have my actual birth name be Jessica! I would have milked that for all it was worth...insisting on things like: in every class in school I would HAVE to sit with the girls, play as one of them at recess, take sewing and ballet instead of shop and Phys Ed and of course it would only make sense that I would wear only girl's clothes and only pretty lace-encrusted paster pink, yellow and lavender satin Easter dresses and darling skirts since I would look really stupid dressed as a boy with the name Jessica. All that would also be in my best interest to prevent people from teasing me by ensuring the name matched the apparent gender.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:27 PM

3,338 posts, read 5,558,174 times
For some reason or another, male names that become unisex tend to get taken by females and not vice versa, so that it's often one-sided, the way names switch (I've read it before in a book on language I think). I'm sure people have came up with social/cultural reasons for this double-standard.

However, I noticed some of the male names that have switched associations in the United States remain in other English-speaking countries. Canada shouldn't be that different from the United States actually (though some of those names mentioned in the thread still seem masculine to me), but Ashley, Leslie etc. are male names in the UK and Australia. (For what it's worth, I only knew males named Leslie, from classmates growing up).

Old 05-11-2012, 09:59 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,998,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
For some reason or another, male names that become unisex tend to get taken by females and not vice versa, so that it's often one-sided, the way names switch (I've read it before in a book on language I think). I'm sure people have came up with social/cultural reasons for this double-standard.

However, I noticed some of the male names that have switched associations in the United States remain in other English-speaking countries. Canada shouldn't be that different from the United States actually (though some of those names mentioned in the thread still seem masculine to me), but Ashley, Leslie etc. are male names in the UK and Australia. (For what it's worth, I only knew males named Leslie, from classmates growing up).
There's a famous Canadian folk musician named Ashley MacIsaac. He's not that old either -- early, maybe mid-30s. Makes me wonder then if Ashley is still a common male name in Canada.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post

Ashley and Leslie were once male names in the US, ya know.

Ashley Wilkes ring a bell? OK, he was fictional, but the name was popular for boys, particularly in the South. But Leslie Robertson, the structural engineer who designed the original World Trade Center, is an American, and so was Leslie Nielsen, the late actor who starred in Airplane and the Naked Gun movies.

Bob Hope's real first name was Leslie, but he was born in England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting