Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 05:00 AM

519 posts, read 1,049,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Hmm. I've only seen Gabriel as a boy's name. As for Rene, it's one e for the male version and 2 e's for the female version.
The spelling only makes a difference when it is written not spoken, in Australia there is a stronger 'blokey' culture.

Men don't allow their sons to be called Gabriel or Rene - these are only the sons of immigrants usually.

They get teased mercilessly, I have seen it myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 09:59 PM

3 posts, read 4,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
The spelling only makes a difference when it is written not spoken, in Australia there is a stronger 'blokey' culture.

Men don't allow their sons to be called Gabriel or Rene - these are only the sons of immigrants usually.

Your Aussie 'blokes' should be embracing multi-cultural names. From what I've seen they're predominantly called Matt, Steve, Dave and Andy (Which admittedly makes things easier when you forget someone's name).

I knew a rather large Aborigine guy called Kylie (as in the boomerang)....I don't think he ran into the same kinds of problems that Gabriel and Rene did...

I would tend to pronounce Rene and Renee differently? Does Rene not have more emphasis on the Re?

Old 11-30-2009, 10:53 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,477 times
Quote:

Gabriel is most definitely a boy's name (with the accent on the first syllable), while Gabrielle (accent on the last syllable) is a girl's name.

Rene (with an accent mark on the e) is also a male name, common in French and Hatian communities. That is different from Renee, which is the spelling for a female.

Any teasing over those would be from ignorant buffoons.

Other (originally male or unisex) names, such as Kelley, Leslie, Mischa, while no longer popular for males, shouldn't be singled out as being stupid or effeminate either.

I can't believe this is an actual thread.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:14 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,907 times
Quote:
The french sometimes call their boys Renee/ Rene - which is strictly a girls name in Australia where I live.

In school I saw boys called Rene and Gabriel teased so badly they would lie about their names to new people.

It's unfair to the child IMO.
Gabriel (as in the Archangel) is a feminine name?

Old 12-01-2009, 09:01 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaven View Post
My husbands name is Jody and he hates it. Anytime he meets someone new there is a joke made about how it's usually a girls name
Here in the Dallas area, we have a (very attractive) male radio personality/newsman named Jody.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:34 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,702 times
Most of the names discussed in this thread are not at all unusual for boys if one takes the time to look up their history:

Stacy - derived from the Greek name Eustace
Jody - English nickname for either Joseph or Jude
Robin - English variant of Robert, dating from medieval times
Francis - Latin for "Frenchman" or "free man"; anglicized variant of Francois.
Carroll - Old German, meaning "man". Anglicized variant of Charles.
Whitney - Old English for "white island".
Kimberly - Old English for "Cyneburg's meadow".
Ashley - Old English "ash meadow". (anyone seen Gone With the Wind lately?)
Lindsey/Lindsay - Old English "Lincoln's marsh".
Dale - Old English "valley".
Shirley - distinctly male before Charlotte Brontë's 1849 novel Shirley.
Kelly - Irish/Gaelic in origin, meaning "descendant of Ceallach".
Shannon - Gaelic "old, ancient".
Tracy - Irish/Gaelic "warlike".

Old 12-01-2009, 08:27 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
Quote:

So what? If it's their culture, the kids should be taught to be proud- they usually are. I would be more ashamed, personally, to have a kid with a 'blokey' culture who made fun of other people's names.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:39 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
I spoke to a man named Dana. When he first got on the phone, I was shocked to hear a man's voice.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:59 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Dana doesn't surprise me. I used to live in Southern California and knew that Dana Point was named for Richard Henry Dana. I think every kid in the area had to read Three Years Before the Mast in elementary school and visit the Pilgrim, a shipped docked in the harbor.

I write sales proposals and frequently have to enclose cover letters. If the purchaser's name is unisex or unfamiliar, I always call and ask a receptionist if "Dana Smith" is a Mr. or Ms.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:49 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,900,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
There it is! James King is a woman.
(And that's not her given name-lol!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting