Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 05:53 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
People are taking the desire for name originality to weirder and weirder extremes all the time (in my opinion, at least). A male with a traditionally female name isn't the worst thing I've ever heard of.

I think that any kid who gets off without being named after a planet, exotic flower or weather condition is pretty lucky these days.
I'd name my kid Altocumulus lenticularis.

Lenticularis for short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 06:00 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Astilbe Thundersnow.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:35 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
Here in Australia, Ashley, Lindsay, Leslie are usually male names. The latter two mostly older men. I've never met a young woman here with the name 'Leslie', yet I know plenty of older men with this name.

In America especially i see the opposite trend happening far more, girls having boys names like Cameron or Blake or something. Then there are the nicknames, like 'Billie' being a female name, or 'Charlie' for Charlotte or Charlene or something.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:37 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
i think it is horrible.
A boy should have a boy name and a girls should have a girl name.

whats wrong with some of these parents.
I don't really see why genders are absolutely necessary for names. Plenty of cultures/languages actually have tons of unisex names.

Even 'English' has unisex names like Terry/Terri, Robin, Ashley (not in the US though), Shannon.etc.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:00 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Astilbe Thundersnow.

Ooooh....nice one. I'd steal it but then our future children wouldn't be unique!

I sincerely always wanted to name a pet External Occipital Protuberance. It's the bony bump at the back of the skull where muscles attach. It just sounds awesome to say. Fortunately for my cats, my mom is in charge of naming and is decidedly less creative.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:44 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,937,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I don't really see why genders are absolutely necessary for names. Plenty of cultures/languages actually have tons of unisex names.

Even 'English' has unisex names like Terry/Terri, Robin, Ashley (not in the US though), Shannon.etc.
Keep in mind that the name Terry/Terri is usually short for Terrance (male forename) or Theresa (female forename). For me, the name Terry usually invokes the image of a man, not a woman.

Names like Robin, Ashley, and Shannon are names that I assume to belong to females when I hear them. I've known many female Ashleys, several female Robins, a few female Shannons, and one male Shannon. This is, of course, just my experience.

Personally, I prefer non-gender-neutral, traditional names for children...call me old-fashioned.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:22 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
Many English /Irish names for boys could be female names...
Kelsey
Sean
Darcy
Riley

But, never name your son "Carroll". I spoke with a Carroll the other day for a while, before I realized he was a dude, on the phone.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:49 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,937,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Keep in mind that the name Terry/Terri is usually short for Terrance (male forename) or Theresa (female forename). For me, the name Terry usually invokes the image of a man, not a woman.
EVOKES the image, I mean. That's a tough one to overlook, frankly.

Note to self: take thirty seconds to proofread before clicking "submit reply."

Anyway, about those girly names for boys...

Old 12-14-2012, 06:56 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Here in Australia, Ashley, Lindsay, Leslie are usually male names. The latter two mostly older men. I've never met a young woman here with the name 'Leslie', yet I know plenty of older men with this name.

In America especially i see the opposite trend happening far more, girls having boys names like Cameron or Blake or something. Then there are the nicknames, like 'Billie' being a female name, or 'Charlie' for Charlotte or Charlene or something.
I thought of that one yesterday--was listening to the radio advertising a Fleetwood Mac concert, and well, Lindsay Buckingham is a man.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:00 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:

As I already pointed out earlier in this thread, Ashley WAS a male name in the US long before it started to be used for girls about 20 years ago.

Ashley Wilkes? HELLO????? OK, he's fictional, but probably the most famous "Ashley" in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting