Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 09:03 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
My son has a friend named Logan. I thought it was a boy's name...nope, she's a girl.
I know of a girl with this name, but I think it's spelled Logaine to feminize it.

I also know a guy named Erin, which I thought was a girl's name. I had actually assumed that his name was really Aaron, but it's not, it's Erin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 11:21 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
I saw in the paper recently a girl was named "Campbell". That's pretty bad.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:28 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
That doesn't seem so weird to me. Nobody seems to bat an eye at Campbell Brown. Scottish surnames are very popular as first names, particularly for the upper-middle class.

I have a Scottish surname that has been used as a first name for many generations in the U.S. and is considered very feminine despite its origins. In fact, my last name is often mistaken for my first name by people who don't know me well.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 05-14-2009 at 11:43 AM..

Old 05-14-2009, 04:36 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
the "Jessy"'s i have known are always jesse. sometimes short for jesus, as in hay-zeus. other times just jesse.

as some one said, some are family last names. some are unisex. but jessica for a boy just seems odd.

interesting.

and kelly and tracy arent that bad of names. i know boys (well they are men now) with the name kelly. anyone remember bad news bears?

Sorry, I probably mispedt it.
The conversation I had with the parents was verbal and not written so I am not sure how they are going to spell Jesse.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:41 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
I've known men named Shannon, Tracey and Jody but never thought much of it. Jessica would be kinda weird.
Jessica WOULD be rather unusual! ( Jesse, no.) Many of the above mentioned names, however, do not strike me as soley feminine names even Carroll....I have known several men with this name.

By the way, my mother's name is "Charlie." Not short for Charlene or anything! Just really "Charlie."

Many names today seem like they are more like last names and I suppose could be male or female.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:44 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
For a long time, we have seen girls being named with names that were once boys names. But the other day, I met some parents who have given their son a girls name. The call their son Jessy but the name on the birth certificate is actually Jessica.
Very odd!!! But it could have been worse, he could have been called Nancy or Sally!

Why would parents give their sons girls names I just don't know! Perhaps the parents are trying to be hip or alternative...I think its just plain cruel

Old 05-15-2009, 10:46 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
This reminds me of when I babysat for my SIL & BIL.
I kept getting phone calls for "Kim".
I would politely explain that no "Kim" lived here.
This went on for about 10 calls. Finally, I said....look...we've been thru this. This is the house of Bob & Sandy......

I then hear Bob's mom break out in peals of laughter.....I never knew that Bob's 1st name was actually Kimberly.........We still laugh about that today.

But really...why would one to that?

Old 05-15-2009, 10:49 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,011,282 times
My son still smirks a bit whenever an old movie with Leslie Howard is advertised. Especially when I told him Leslie was considered quite the heartthrob in his day .

By the same token you have girls with traditionally boys' names. Glenn Close? Michael Learned? If those are the birthnames, what were their parents thinking?

Old 05-15-2009, 11:24 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
In the U.K., titled men would use the name of their land, not their family name (I think I'm saying that right). So the Earl of Kimberley in England would be called Kimberley, not his "real name," by his peers.

Earl of Kimberley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's just one of those names that was appropriated by girls, like Ashley, Whitney and similar names. At least they left Dudley alone!

Old 05-16-2009, 07:46 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
I've known more MALE Dales than female ones. Just like I've known more women than men named Kelly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting