U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 08:27 AM

15,187 posts, read 16,035,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
Some children ARE lazy. My daughter is a bit lazy sometimes, my son is the opposite. Some children are lazy - get a reaction, then do it again for some kind of attention. I am not trying to be mean, I love children....just trying to point out a fact that I am sure you are aware about the human character...we are all inclined to be lazy - but if its not laziness or attention seeking then WHAT IS IT? Perhaps it is emotional? Yes, it was the case with me, some talking and a few tricks sorted me out. But with this girl....I don't know, just trying to give some ideas to mum to help!!!
I agree with you that people can be lazy, but honestly, I've never met anyone, child or adult, who was so lazy they'd rather pee on themselves than go to the bathroom. I'm sure something else is going on with this little girl other than she just doesn't want to pee in the potty. Like in your own situation, it's probably based on something that has changed or happened to her. I had a friend whose son started pooping in his pants when his baby sister was born. It stopped after he realized his parents had enough love to cover everyone.

It just amazes me on here when peoples' (and I'm not saying you) first reaction to any given problem with a child is some sort of harsh punishment. It's such an Us v. Them mentality. My daughter is the most important person in the world to me and if she were doing this I would try and figure out what's going on with her before I decided how I could best help her or teach her a better way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 09:34 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,185,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I agree with you that people can be lazy, but honestly, I've never met anyone, child or adult, who was so lazy they'd rather pee on themselves than go to the bathroom. I'm sure something else is going on with this little girl other than she just doesn't want to pee in the potty. Like in your own situation, it's probably based on something that has changed or happened to her. I had a friend whose son started pooping in his pants when his baby sister was born. It stopped after he realized his parents had enough love to cover everyone.

It just amazes me on here when peoples' (and I'm not saying you) first reaction to any given problem with a child is some sort of harsh punishment. It's such an Us v. Them mentality. My daughter is the most important person in the world to me and if she were doing this I would try and figure out what's going on with her before I decided how I could best help her or teach her a better way.

I agree that you should try and figure out what is going on - wetting yourself at aged 4 is not good. I have never punished my kids harshly - for anything - too soft!! But, I stand by what I said - some children are lazier than others. In my mind this problem is either -
1 - physical (UTI or other complaint)
2 - Emotional
3 - Laziness
4 - Attention seeking
Only the Mum will know for sure. Its for her to go figure out! I wish her all the best - parenthood is full of queries and problems as well as really good times!!!!

Old 05-15-2009, 04:08 PM

10 posts, read 30,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

It just amazes me on here when peoples' (and I'm not saying you) first reaction to any given problem with a child is some sort of harsh punishment. .

I dont punish her besides taking her tv out of her room. I took her tv b.c she'd lay in bed watching it all night and just pee herself b.c she couldnt take herself away from it.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:12 PM

10 posts, read 30,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
I am sorry you feel threatened by our opinions. We are just stating the facts. Obviously this is your child, you do as you see fit. But do not think because your husband is a police officer and you are a stay at home mom that anyone here will believe your family is perfect. Believe it or not even police officers and SAHM's have, can, and do abuse their children. Just realize, you are the only person that can stand up for your child, either in a medical OR an abuse situation. Take care of that little girl PLEASE.
You're funny for the simple fact of if I was abusing my child why would I post about her potty problem here?
Don't you think I wouldn't even care if she was peeing if I was abusing her? Ridiculous. My daughter is my husband first and last child for the fact we cannot have anymore. She's his life. You don't know my life don't accuse me abusing my child just because she has a potty problem. That is called slander.
I never said my family was perfect but I sure the hell am not Casey Anthony. My daughter is my life just because I'm tired of cleaning pissy sheets doesnt make me a bad mom, tired but not bad.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:30 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,703,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson11 View Post
there is no red flags if you read my other posts you would see i'm with her 24 hrs a day 7 days a wk the only people she sees is me and my husband.
you know, or maybe you don't, you can have trauma without abuse and it doesn't have to be something that an adult would consider traumatic, it just has to upset the child enough so that SHE feels traumatized. A new baby coming into the family is an example of this, though I know in your case, that's not the issue.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:19 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
You're funny for the simple fact of if I was abusing my child why would I post about her potty problem here?
Don't you think I wouldn't even care if she was peeing if I was abusing her? Ridiculous. My daughter is my husband first and last child for the fact we cannot have anymore. She's his life. You don't know my life don't accuse me abusing my child just because she has a potty problem. That is called slander.
I never said my family was perfect but I sure the hell am not Casey Anthony. My daughter is my life just because I'm tired of cleaning pissy sheets doesnt make me a bad mom, tired but not bad.

Your daughter sounds like she's probably a real smart little kid and knows she has you over a barrel. Kids can enjoy messing with their parents mind, they sometimes will use what they have to show who is in control. They like being the puppet master -- it amuses them.

You'll have to beat her at her own game. She may feel that having accidents lets her remain a baby and she may think she enjoys being a baby so much she doesn't want to stop.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:12 AM

4,264 posts, read 7,929,045 times
First off I would have her retested for a resistant UTI. Sounds like her urine needs to be cultured to see if there is something that is resistant to the meds she took.

If there is no UTI, you said in your posts that you daughter doesn't have accidents in school or when her cousin is there, it sounds like a power play to me. Maybe mad because she was spoiled by grandma and now you are limiting her exposure to grandma. Put her in pull-ups. Don't yell at her when she does this and get her up every 2 yrs at night, I know it will be hard at first especially since you are already fed up but it might just help get her over this.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:45 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
First off I would have her retested for a resistant UTI. Sounds like her urine needs to be cultured to see if there is something that is resistant to the meds she took.

If there is no UTI, you said in your posts that you daughter doesn't have accidents in school or when her cousin is there, it sounds like a power play to me. Maybe mad because she was spoiled by grandma and now you are limiting her exposure to grandma. Put her in pull-ups. Don't yell at her when she does this and get her up every 2 yrs at night, I know it will be hard at first especially since you are already fed up but it might just help get her over this.
It may be the child's way of trying to have grandma and mom try to compete, or maybe even her way of missing her grandma. It sounds like grandma babied her -- spoiled her a bit, she enjoyed that or at least got used to it.

Sometimes you have to take some of the fun out of being a baby, make them see an advantage to being a big girl.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:09 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,357,638 times
Quote:
Quote:
I'm so tired of cleaning pee sheets, pants, and underwear. Scrubbing beds, shoes, and stuffed animals. I have a pup I never had to even potty train. I have a 4 1/2 year old daughter who I've had it with. She used to be such an angel and now she's just the biggest diva on earth. She constantly wakes up every morning and lays in bed until she wets it instead of getting up to use the washroom. She even goes as much as walking into the bathroom standing next to the toilet and looks at me and says "I peed already. I didn't make it to the toilet." But she was right next to it. I have to get on her just to use the bathroom. If I don't remember then she'll never go. Why?? She'll be 5 in 5 months. I never had this type of problem with her. My mom used to take her to the bathroom, put her on the toilet, and wipe her. I stopped all that but why is she not going back to normal? Sometimes she even screams when I ask her to go that she doesn't want to be alone. What the hell am I doing wrong? I am a stay at home mom, I let her have what ever she wants but now have taken the TV out of her room due to the potty problem. I've cracked down on her so much I feel miserable. Absolutely no tv when she has an accident, I even take a toy. She's been potty trained since 2. She did have a urinary tract infection a month ago but was on meds and went away. She was fine for a few wks and now she started again. I'm slowly losing my head. Any suggestions? She's with me all day long 24 hrs a day 7 days a wk. I wake up to her I go to bed to her. She goes to school 3 days a wk 2 hrs a day and has absolutely no accidents. But i take preventive measurements. Nothing to drink in the Am before school. Pee right before she gets in the classroom right when she lets out. It's almost like I'm a drill sergant but she's never going to get this if it's all me telling her when to go. What should I do?

That's the problem, she does not need a drill sargeant, she does not need corporal punishment. since she does not do this in school, then home is the problem, i really don't know any better way to put this , but she may very well be afraid of you, she's not just peeing so she can get the gas chamber
Mom you can't just fly off of the handle, can you put yourself in her place?
for a moment and stop thinking of how she is inconveniencing you and your
day, what are you losing it for/ Geesh she's only 4 and some change.
Pull yourself together,
It sounds as though you can use some counseling for yourself, she is your daughter, try being gentle with her..
I honestly feel that she is afraid of you and this is one way of coping with
her mixed feelings and possibly anxiety.talk to her pediatrician not us
unless of course you need to vent, which by the thread I feel that you have.
who wants to pee on themselves
i think you are being selfish and insensitive here.
But what do i know my daughter is only 34

Old 05-26-2009, 11:13 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,357,638 times
Quote:
Quote:
I dont punish her besides taking her tv out of her room. I took her tv b.c she'd lay in bed watching it all night and just pee herself b.c she couldnt take herself away from it.

What is a 41/2 year old doing up all night watching television, pray tell?
Could you help me out with this one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or