U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 07:12 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,044,931 times

Advertisements

I only have this to say. People argue that uniforms restrict a student's freedom of expression and creativity. I believe the opposite to be true. Wearing uniforms helps students look inside themselves for more meaningful ways to express themselves and their creativity. A person's identity should be based on who they are inside, not what they wear outside. I think school uniforms helps promote that. I wish our public schools dared to go with uniforms when my kids were in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 08:56 PM

12,256 posts, read 15,798,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum1Else View Post
I prefer school uniforms. They do not create additional laundry. In fact, I felt that they were easier to launder.

The uniforms were as follows:
* Navy or Khaki pants, shorts or skirts
* Closed toe & Closed heel shoes
* Navy, white, light blue, or red polo shirt
OR
* School t-shirt

Our school had a great program for families to bring in their outgrown uniforms. Families could come in and choose items for $1 each. Money went to the PTA or something. Also, families could get swap uniforms for free if they needed to.

It was great! The kids never worried about what other people were wearing because everyone was basically wearing the same thing.
I would be okay with a uniform policy like this one where you still had some variety and everything wasn't so stringent. My son has a polo shirt in just about every color and I love khaki pants because they go with everything so this dress code would be right up my alley. It just when they get down to "you can only wear this ONE thing and you have to get it from this ONE place" that I have a problem with.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:22 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,996,731 times
I am for uniforms but against any monopoly concerning the acquisition. My efforts would be to rally against any policy that demands the products only be purchased from one source when otherwise garments could be found more reasonably elsewhere (online closeouts, local department stores).

If an entire school is required to wear a uniform from one manufacturer/distributor, that company should be able to offer and the school able to ask for a greater quantity discount. $16.00 for one generic polo shirt x 2000 students, when you know it cost $3.00 wholesale...is absurd.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:46 AM

11,615 posts, read 19,731,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I would be okay with a uniform policy like this one where you still had some variety and everything wasn't so stringent. My son has a polo shirt in just about every color and I love khaki pants because they go with everything so this dress code would be right up my alley. It just when they get down to "you can only wear this ONE thing and you have to get it from this ONE place" that I have a problem with.
I thought cost was your problem.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:47 AM

4 posts, read 4,061 times
I'm okay with uniforms as long as they don't involve girls wearing short skirts. Thats asking for trouble.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I thought cost was your problem.
I guess you just want to argue since I said several posts ago that I would just agree to disagree with you. COST would be my concern if he could only wear ONE thing; i.e the yellow shirt and khaki pants with the school emblem. But what she described is polo shirts in 4 basic colors and navy/khaki pants. Those are items that he already has and that I will probably continue to buy so the cost factor wouldn't be an issue. Aside from that he could also wear those clothes other places, where in the case of the other school uniform it could only be worn to school because it has the school emblem on the clothing. So I would still have to buy him other clothing.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:26 PM

11,615 posts, read 19,731,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I guess you just want to argue since I said several posts ago that I would just agree to disagree with you. COST would be my concern if he could only wear ONE thing; i.e the yellow shirt and khaki pants with the school emblem. But what she described is polo shirts in 4 basic colors and navy/khaki pants. Those are items that he already has and that I will probably continue to buy so the cost factor wouldn't be an issue. Aside from that he could also wear those clothes other places, where in the case of the other school uniform it could only be worn to school because it has the school emblem on the clothing. So I would still have to buy him other clothing.
Is it possible to have a discussion where we take opposite sides of an issue without it being seen in a negative light?

There is no reason the school uniforms cannot be worn other places. My kids wear them on the golf course all the time because they do not have other collared polo shirts. I see other kids on the golf course with school uniform shirts on all the time. The shorts are just shorts and my kids wear them outside of school. Ours are khaki or navy shorts. Shirts are red, white, or black with the school logo.

Right now let's say a kid needs 7 everyday outfits. He has 7 different outfits. If he wore a uniform to school he would STILL need 7 outfits. 5 school uniform outfits. 2 other outfits. It's not more stuff. He needs the same amount of clothes whether he wears uniforms or other clothes.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:51 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,639,218 times
My only concern with uniform policies is schools that spend more time monitoring the dress policies than they do monitoring how the children are doing academically. There are pro's and con's to it.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:28 PM

363 posts, read 1,003,413 times
I know there has been a lot of discussion about cost of uniforms. I just took a friend of mine to the Used Uniform Sale at our private school. Her child is going there for the first time next year and of course needed uniforms. She got everything she needed (minus shoes and the belt) for a little under $100. That is clothes for the entire school year....3 long pants, 4 shorts, 4 short sleeved polos, 3 long sleeved polos, a winter fleece, sweatshirt and t-shirt for field trips.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Is it possible to have a discussion where we take opposite sides of an issue without it being seen in a negative light?
It is possible but when you throw words out like "ridiculous" about my life I tend to think you're being condescending and rude.

Quote:
There is no reason the school uniforms cannot be worn other places. My kids wear them on the golf course all the time because they do not have other collared polo shirts. I see other kids on the golf course with school uniform shirts on all the time. The shorts are just shorts and my kids wear them outside of school. Ours are khaki or navy shorts. Shirts are red, white, or black with the school logo.

Right now let's say a kid needs 7 everyday outfits. He has 7 different outfits. If he wore a uniform to school he would STILL need 7 outfits. 5 school uniform outfits. 2 other outfits. It's not more stuff. He needs the same amount of clothes whether he wears uniforms or other clothes.
I'm going to explain this one last time because while I understand that you are all for school uniforms my point was that I chose a school that didn't require them because of a)the style of the uniform b)my child is still young and messy.

The shirts are pale yellow or white - not good options for a messy 3 year old. I would have to spend a lot of time, which I don't have right now, treating his uniform with things like Spray and Wash or Resolve, which costs extra money, in order to keep them stain free. They can ONLY to be purchased from the school or manufacturer at $16 a shirt. They give me 1 free one but I would have to buy at least 3 more. That's $48 for 3 shirts, which would probably not last all school year. I would not want him to wear those shirts after school because A)if they have spots I would want to treat them as soon as possible to prevent them from settling B)if they're not dirty I don't want to risk them getting dirty c)both the pants and shirt have the school emblem on them so I would not put that on him to wear in a social setting nor more than I would wear my work uniform to a social setting (I don't wear a uniform to work that's just an example) so I would STILL have to purchase clothing for him to wear after school. That's where my cost concerns come in. I mean he does have play clothes for when we're just at home but play clothing is usually clothes that used to be school clothes but they have stains or rips or missing buttons or are a little too small.

Now I stated that the uniform another poster said her school has - different colored polo shirts with navy/khaki pants - would work for me because they can brought anywhere and they can be worn anywhere. I also stated that once he's older and not so messy and the clothes cost more my feelings might change regarding uniforms.

So I'm sorry I really don't understand why out of all the people posting on this topic you feel the need to keep discussing your side of the issue with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or