U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 09:35 AM

1,122 posts, read 1,970,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
My six year old isn't going on and on about the brand of clothes they are wearing.... but I am the OP of that thread....they are being harassed because they are NOT wearing a certain brand and she is not begging for it....and I refuse to buy it and she knows it and is learning kind come backs to these unkind remarks such as I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU when they say things to her about how they are dressed and she isn't.... this is why I am all for wearing uniforms to school.... I wish they did have uniforms....
shocked by how early this is starting.....
LOL! I meant the OTHER kid! Not yours!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 10:06 AM

1,122 posts, read 1,970,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaHR View Post
My kids and I are much happier when they attend schools that require uniforms. We move often and switch schools often (such is the life of a military family). One of the major differences that I have noticed between schools with uniforms versus schools without has been attitude of the students. The uniformed kids were happier, they were calmer, nicer and paid attention to lessons and were generally really well-mannered and nice to both their fellow students and the staff (I always volunteer at the schools so that I can know what is going on). In the uniformed schools, I didn't noticed the prevalence and severity of the cliques that I saw in the non-uniformed schools. There would always be a pair or trio of friends but the students interacted with everyone at the uniformed schools, not so much at the non-uniformed schools. My own children also did better academically in the uniformed schools. At the end of the day, they stayed in uniform until homework was finished and when homework was done, they would change into their own clothes and be much more relaxed and less stressed because it was a tangible "I'm off duty" type of feeling for the kids.
I think there is more to a uniform school than just uniforms. Students don't learn better by all being dressed the same. HOWEVER, a school stuctured enough to realize the distractions clothing can have in a child trying to learn, is going to be more structured in other areas as well. The structure doesn't start with a change to school uniforms. Its starts with good teachers and administrators with a good strong plan for helping children learn. The change to uniforms only betters their plan.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:26 AM

1,091 posts, read 3,237,440 times
I went to private school and wore a uniform.
Even for public school, I don't think it would be a bad idea- at least for high school- to have the students wear a semi-uniform.
By this, I mean have them dress in what is known as business-casual: polos or button-downs, khakis or black pants. No jeans, no shirts that don't have a collar. No sneakers.

This model gives them some leeway to choose their own clothes, but at the same time it minimizes materialism, label consciousness, one-upmanship, and outlandish fashions which might be distracting in an academic setting. Additionally, it prepares them for the real world, the working world, and allows them to start building up their wardrobe of interview clothes and work clothes.

And finally, I think such a dress-code, if relaxed for extra-curricular events, would encourage more students to participate in such events, because it would give them an opportunity to show off their "cool" clothes, their individual style.
And obviously, it's desirable to have more students participating in events, since extracurricular activities keep them off the street and out of trouble.

Finally, I would suggest that this be referred to as a "uniform policy" rather than a "dress code policy".
If you call it a dress code, people are going to be constantly whining that it's too strict.
Call it a "uniform", on the other hand, and suddenly it seems quite lenient.
After all, students do get to choose their own clothes, within certain prescribed guidelines.

So, that's my 2 cents on uniforms/ dress code.

Last edited by Jane72; 05-31-2009 at 11:49 AM..

Old 05-31-2009, 12:29 PM

12,256 posts, read 15,812,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
I went to private school and wore a uniform.
Even for public school, I don't think it would be a bad idea- at least for high school- to have the students wear a semi-uniform.
By this, I mean have them dress in what is known as business-casual: polos or button-downs, khakis or black pants. No jeans, no shirts that don't have a collar. No sneakers.
They did this in my high school for the basketball team, well except for sneakers. Monday - Thursday they had to wear business casual clothing and then on Friday's a shirt and a tie. It kinda melted over into the other boys as well after awhile though because girls were always talking about how cute the basketball players were

Old 06-01-2009, 11:56 AM

2,489 posts, read 6,458,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Yeah I understand what you're saying for an overall expense. My nephews are actually in private schools and my sister-in-law says the uniforms work great for her because anytime they're not in school they're in t-shirts and basketball shorts. She brought them a couple of nice pants and shirts for church and they're good. I guess eventually my son won't want to wear the cute OshKosh overalls either

I think that was probably my biggest concern with the uniform offered at the school near my house. I saw the shirts they offered and I was thinking at $16 a pop I was going to end up spending a $160 on 10 shirts to get him through the school year His teachers at his current school are very good about offering protective smocks during crafts - I just lucked out to have one of those kids. The one who doesn't believe the teacher when she says the paint is wet so he sits in it to make sure.
The school may offer a used uniform sale. The grade school I attended had this. Parents were able to sell unused/outgrown uniforms in good condition to other parents at reduced prices. You may inquire if the school does this.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:28 PM

99 posts, read 223,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I think that was probably my biggest concern with the uniform offered at the school near my house. I saw the shirts they offered and I was thinking at $16 a pop I was going to end up spending a $160 on 10 shirts to get him through the school year His teachers at his current school are very good about offering protective smocks during crafts - I just lucked out to have one of those kids. The one who doesn't believe the teacher when she says the paint is wet so he sits in it to make sure.
At the uniformed schools that I have sent my kids off too, I have only ever bought a weeks worth of clothes. 5 tops and 5 bottoms and those were MORE than enough. Of the 5 tops and 5 bottoms, they would include the variation in uniform options like short sleeve or long sleeve or skirts, shorts, pants. Also, at the schools that my kids went to, they were required to wear their smocks during art classes and couldn't take them off until everything was put away and they would hang their smocks up outside the art room as they left. Really, though, if you are worried about staining a $16 uniform shirt, street clothes are capable of getting just as stained

Old 06-03-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
The school may offer a used uniform sale. The grade school I attended had this. Parents were able to sell unused/outgrown uniforms in good condition to other parents at reduced prices. You may inquire if the school does this.
They just started the uniforms in 2008 because they merged with another school - budget cuts - so they didn't have one this year - not sure about future years. They also changed the school colors so although students who already had the old uniforms could still wear them (after the parents threw a huge fit) new students had to adhere to the new uniform policy.

Quote:
Also, at the schools that my kids went to, they were required to wear their smocks during art classes and couldn't take them off until everything was put away and they would hang their smocks up outside the art room as they left.
His teachers do too and they really try to keep him clean but he's just a magnet for dirt and spots. Most of his staining actually comes from the lunchroom as he has a horrible of habit of wiping his hands on his clothes.

Quote:
Really, though, if you are worried about staining a $16 uniform shirt, street clothes are capable of getting just as stained
yeah but with his school clothes I can control the visibility of the stains a little because I buy him darker clothing. And most of his stuff is store brand (Circo, Granimals, Toughskins, Jumping Beans) so for $16 I could have gotten 3 or 4 shirts (he's still in toddler clothing) so when I was looking at it from the financial standpoint I didn't see any benefit right now.

When he's older (and hopefully neater) and clothes are more expensive I'm sure I'll revisit the idea again.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:31 PM

We’ve been looking at some schools for my son for the upcoming school year and this thread came to mind Because of his speech and focus challenges, I was looking for a school with a low student to teach ratio so that he can get the attention he needs but I also didn’t want him lumped into a class with children with severe learning disabilities (which happened a lot in FL). I toured a school I absolutely loved today and they wear uniforms. I was so pleased with the school, curriculum and staff that clothes were the last thing on my mind. Luckily, the dress code is simple red/white/navy blue colored shirts with khaki/navy blue bottoms and sneakers and so he already has all of those, plus they’re really affordable.

I’m super excited about school now but I’ve been thinking about this thread every since the lady said “now we do have a uniform policy”

Old 07-29-2009, 10:34 PM

2,745 posts, read 12,871,841 times
I know I have probably mentioned this here before somewhere, sometime, but I have very mixed opinions on uniforms. This is not to insult or argue with anyone who likes the concept... just my experience and my reasons for NOT liking the whole idea.

When I sent my son to a charter school that I chose specifically for its performing arts focus, I was okay with the uniforms, since no one was forcing me to send my kid there, AND the uniforms were any combo of navy and/or khaki. So, he wore navy polos and navy pants and no worries about stains and such. It was okay for the year he was there but again it was my CHOICE.

Where I've had issues is with the local public schools, when a parent doesn't have the freedom to choose a charter school or private school due to transportation or whatever, and the uniform issue is MANDATED. In our neighborhood (inner city), we have very large numbers of low income families. All of the schools in the district require uniforms from pre-K through 12th. The most infuriating, most idiotic thing about this is that up until high school, the uniform colors are khaki pants and white polos. WHITE polos, for little kids, and khaki that might as well be white! Sooooo dumb.

When they hit high school I think they can opt for black polos.

The biggest issue with this is that the khaki and white stains horribly and quickly. Shortly after I met my partner, she had an issue with the school insisting she buy new uniforms for her son with six weeks left in the school year, because the pants had grass stains and the white shirts had paint and food stains. Well, the poly/cotton white shirts retain stains, even when you try to BLEACH them out, and the teachers provided no smocks during art, ever, and being a boy of 9 he was just messy in general, so she tried to explain that the clothes were STAINED, but laundered and cleaned, and she had no more money for new uniforms that close to the end of school. Despite this, the school called CPS on her for sending him in "dirty clothes". So, she instead sent her son to school in regular clothes (no stains).. jeans and a nice, plain t-shirt, and they sent him home because he wasn't in uniform!

They told her he couldn't come back without a uniform on... so she didn't send him for the rest of that week, since the uniforms she had were not "acceptable". So then, they reported her to the truancy officer because he wasn't in school! LOL Craziness! The thing is they are 'supposed' to offer help with uniforms for families with low income, but they never did despite several written requests. After writing letters to someone higher up, she was able to get ONE uniform from them at the beginning of the next year. They told her to just wash it every night (walk to the laundromat I guess, or wash it in the sink since she had no car, no washer and dryer). For being an inner-city school they were clueless about the realities of their student population. The uniforms are impossible to find in the thrift stores (probably because they are all stained and get tossed each year!) Especially for boys. I am so glad that's all behind us. (the kids go to a charter school and wear whatever within reason)

The uniforms are NOT cheaper for families like ours who almost exclusively thrift store shop. I have a Goodwill clearance center in town that sells clothing for $.99 a piece! I can (and have) outfitted both boys for an entire school year, with 7 outfits a week plus some winter/long sleeved stuff for $100.. for both boys! Nothing they have is ratty or looks "used", they just wear your standard jeans, shorts, tees, and sneakers/vans/converse. Our 6 yo daughter has a wardrobe rivaling some Hollywood child stars , I am always complimented on what she has on (from teachers, other parents), and all total I haven't spent more than $100 on everything she owns (dresses, pants, tops, shorts, skirts, sandals, hats, tennies).. we only buy socks, undies, and shoes new.. and sometimes not even shoes if the thrift ones are nearly new.

So yeah, that's my rant on uniforms. I have issues with public schools making them a requirement, but using poor judgment on picking colors and not realizing that for many families it is an unreasonable expense... but for a private or charter school I'd be much more willing, depending on the other positive advantages to the school. I know of one charter school that just required jeans and red or blue plain t-shirts, which was IMO much more reasonable.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:00 AM

515 posts, read 1,364,957 times
This is my opinion EXACTLY!

We went to register the kids yesterday. No one said a word about the uniform policy. I guess they're NOT going to make sure everyone knows in advance, since this was done after the end of the school year. Hmmmmm...

~D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or