U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 07:21 AM

12,256 posts, read 15,789,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Where I've had issues is with the local public schools, when a parent doesn't have the freedom to choose a charter school or private school due to transportation or whatever, and the uniform issue is MANDATED. In our neighborhood (inner city), we have very large numbers of low income families. All of the schools in the district require uniforms from pre-K through 12th. The most infuriating, most idiotic thing about this is that up until high school, the uniform colors are khaki pants and white polos. WHITE polos, for little kids, and khaki that might as well be white! Sooooo dumb.

When they hit high school I think they can opt for black polos.

The biggest issue with this is that the khaki and white stains horribly and quickly. Shortly after I met my partner, she had an issue with the school insisting she buy new uniforms for her son with six weeks left in the school year, because the pants had grass stains and the white shirts had paint and food stains. Well, the poly/cotton white shirts retain stains, even when you try to BLEACH them out, and the teachers provided no smocks during art, ever, and being a boy of 9 he was just messy in general, so she tried to explain that the clothes were STAINED, but laundered and cleaned, and she had no more money for new uniforms that close to the end of school. Despite this, the school called CPS on her for sending him in "dirty clothes". So, she instead sent her son to school in regular clothes (no stains).. jeans and a nice, plain t-shirt, and they sent him home because he wasn't in uniform!

They told her he couldn't come back without a uniform on... so she didn't send him for the rest of that week, since the uniforms she had were not "acceptable". So then, they reported her to the truancy officer because he wasn't in school! LOL Craziness! The thing is they are 'supposed' to offer help with uniforms for families with low income, but they never did despite several written requests. After writing letters to someone higher up, she was able to get ONE uniform from them at the beginning of the next year. They told her to just wash it every night (walk to the laundromat I guess, or wash it in the sink since she had no car, no washer and dryer). For being an inner-city school they were clueless about the realities of their student population.

The uniforms are NOT cheaper for families like ours who almost exclusively thrift store shop.
I had similiar concerns about a public school we considered for my son last year with pale yellow shirts. I was imagining spending me weekends over the washer with a bottle of spray and wash and a tooth brush trying to get stains out of them

I completely understand what you mean about unifroms not always being cheaper - even though we don't shop at thrift stores. I'm a coupon clipping, sale sniffing, bargin buying master so I never pay full price for my son's clothing. I love when Sears has their Toughskins sales because I can get 10 mix and match outfits for about $15.

I'm still excited about the upcoming school year. especially since I'm doing a lot of business travel right now and I know my bf isn't going to take the time to actually put outfits together. He'd send my son to school every day in jeans and a t-shirt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 11:08 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,797,390 times
My daughter is quite the fashionista, and goes to a private school where school uniforms are mandatory.

Her opinion? She loves it, she never has to worry about what to wear, and it takes exactly 30 seconds to get dressed. Plus she gets to wear great shoes to make up for it

Old 08-02-2009, 04:17 AM

108 posts, read 138,713 times
I've got an argument against uniforms that I haven't seen mentioned yet. I only had to wear them for one year when I was in school, but it wasn't a very good time in my development to have that requirement. As boys hit puberty there is a certain part of the male anatomy that can make itself evident a various points throughout the day for no particular rhyme or reason. Khakis and a tucked in shirt can make modesty a bit difficult to attain. If all else fails, bring that one up at the school board meeting.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:01 PM

297 posts, read 427,923 times
Just have all the students wear their regular clothes not the uniforms. Are they going to punish the entire school? If that ever happened in my school, that's definately something we would do.

Seriously though, I am against uniforms. I was a CIT at a camp for 3 years. The second year, they made us all wear our camp T-shirts everyday. I hated it because I had shirts at home that I wanted to wear but could not. Sometimes I wanted to wear a tank top but I could not. If they ever made a uniform policy at my school, I would be so angry. I have a lot of different outfits I like to wear that I would not be able to. I LOVE wearing shirts supporting my favorite college football teams and if I wasn't able to do this, I would be furious. I love wearing jeans with boots or flats. I love wearing dresses. I love wearing clothes that I like not what the school board chooses. There's no use thinking about it though since I'm about to start my senior year and there's no talk at all of enforcing a uniform policy.

Last edited by traveler92; 08-22-2009 at 09:12 PM..

Old 08-30-2009, 08:00 AM

99 posts, read 222,808 times
One thing that I think some people are forgetting is that you don't actually need a dozen uniform tops & bottoms. 3 of each is more than adequate. you have one currently being worn, one in the wash and one clean for the next day. You don't need 10 different outfits. That's the benefit of uniforms, you need a significantly less amount of actual clothes, both in terms of school clothes and not school clothes

Old 08-30-2009, 08:06 AM

3,749 posts, read 7,234,852 times
This is our first year without uniforms for my elementary school aged children and I miss them terribly. Shopping was a breeze - dressing took no censoring/sorting and we were out the door. I have spent a fortune on school clothes because instead of 5 uniforms I now have to worry about outfits. I hate it and would go back to uniforms in a blink if I could.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:49 PM

12,256 posts, read 15,789,306 times
It was cool for the first week but I forgot over the weekend that he had to wear a certain thing so I had to rush to a late night laundry mat to wash. I can see I'm going to have to plan a little more carefully (or wash every weekend)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or