U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 11:50 AM

3,842 posts, read 9,246,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmom View Post
They haven't put forth any reasoning, just because they said so. This is a blue collar town, and there are a lot of people here who probably see having to buy school uniforms as a real financial hardship.

Natalay, I am the same way. If I buy clothes, they are gonna wear them until the can't be worn anymore. Also not a huge fan of all the extra laundry this would create...

~D
The school board gave absolutely no reason other than "We said so."??

How can buying a school uniform place financial hardship on a family unless they plan on never buying their children any clothes for the entire school year? School uniforms are not that expensive & almost all offer a discount program for families who do show financial hardship.

How will it be creating so much extra laundry?

It's a public school & people have their opinions.

Just curious to the reasoning. There has to be one.

I tuaght middle school in both public & private. When I go back to teach, I refuse to go back to a school that does not have a uniform policy. I saw enough bra straps & boys boxers to last me a lifetime. And yes, the public school did have a stringent "dress code" policy.

My sons' preschool has a uniform & that is one of the reasons I choose it. Uniforms & year round schooling are the answers to several of the issues that plague education.

Uniforms instill order, consistency & discipline. School hours are not football games, extracurriculars or social hour. They are learning hours. The students have a lifetime to wear whatever they want along with after school & the weekends. If wearing a uniform in high school is so upsetting, they can make sure to get a job that doesn't require them to wear a uniform after graduation. But, that is also great that they are trying to stand up for a position!!!!

I wore uniforms K-12 & went to an all girls high school...individuality can be nourished & grown through academics (such as debate/creative writing/sciences/math/languages), extracurriculars, and the arts. Promoting individuality based on clothing is not something that I would want to teach my children (not saying any posters here are saying that!!!). To say that high schoolers do not notice what others are wearing....they do & it does matter. Not for EVERY single student, but the many.

Again, your opinon. Not attacking. Just wondering the reason & how a uniform creates more laundry.

Last edited by 121804; 05-14-2009 at 12:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 11:50 AM

1,184 posts, read 2,428,809 times
I am actually for the uniforms in public school, it cuts down on a lot of teasing and unapproriate dress, it won't kill her to wear the unifroms for one year will it? In college, she will have all the time (or 4 years, whichever comes quicker) to find her indivdual "style", one year of khaki pants and a blazer shouldn't kill her.

Now I do disagree if the school board is sneaking around, holding secret meetings to decide on this without community input, that is a problem.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:11 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,442,123 times
I feel similarly to cool rob.

As a student, I experienced a standard dress code, a stricter dress code (eg no jeans, shirts must have collars), and uniforms.

Uniforms were the easiest. I liked them.

As a parent, my kids have attended schools with uniforms and schools with your standard public school dress code (no holes, no spaghetti straps, no flip flops, etc...). I do like uniforms. My only issue with uniforms was things like the tennis shoes had to be certain colors - you had to be very careful buying sneakers - and dealing with belts and other accessories that had to be specific colors (including any undershirts that could possibly be seen peeking out of the polo). I'd be perfectly happy with something as simple as school spirit shirts or polos in the school colors with jeans or navy/khaki pants.

But.
..regardless of my opinion on uniforms, the school board should not sneak it in. There should be forums for public input. It was quite sneaky for no one to mention this during election time, but one month later, its a hot issue.

Good luck with your fight. I think, like someone else said, this will be a good learning experience for the older students who choose to band with the adults to argue against the policy.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:21 PM

363 posts, read 1,003,413 times
Quote:
This is a blue collar town, and there are a lot of people here who probably see having to buy school uniforms as a real financial hardship.
You mentioned that your town was blue collar. Are there vast socio-economic differences in the town? I know you said they did not mention a reason but could they be trying to "level the playing field" so to speak? I have heard of districts adopting a dress code for that reason too.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:43 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,246,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I understand your frustration. I actually drive my son to school because the one closest to our house requires uniforms 4 days a week - I don't have anything against the uniform but I'm a shopper and if he doesn't wear his clothes to school then they'll just sit in the closest waiting to be outgrown.
So, you drive your child to a different school b/c you cannot stop shopping for him? Sorry, but that is teaching your child that clothes do matter & enough to go to a different school based on a material need.
I could see if you are inherently against public school uniforms, but you did state you are a "shopper"...

Old 05-14-2009, 12:43 PM

3,084 posts, read 6,470,188 times
Is the proposal to discuss uniforms or to vote on them? All boards should be following a similar procedure, and in the case of school boards, it should be to discuss them to see if there should be a proposal, then form a committee to research it, then submit proposals for approval then submit a final one for voting by the entire district population.

Find out your school board policy regarding such things, then find out where they are in the process. You should be able to get any and all records under the open records act and the entire process for the board should take several months to complete.

Once they do have a proposal to put forth for vote, there should be certain criteria for it to pass, so find out what that is. Perhaps it only needs a majority to pass, perhaps it needs 75% in favor to pass.

After that it's a matter of getting enough people involved in voting to sway it one way or the other, which will depend on who has the stronger support.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:51 PM

12,256 posts, read 15,798,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
So, you drive your child to a different school b/c you cannot stop shopping for him? Sorry, but that is teaching your child that clothes do matter & enough to go to a different school based on a material need.
I could see if you are inherently against public school uniforms, but you did state you are a "shopper"...
No it's not just that - although the clothes are a huge part of it. We go out a lot and when I buy something for myself, I also buy for my son. Plus he gets tons of things from both sets of grandparents and other family members. But I am able to wear my clothes to work so I get my moneys worth out of them. If he had to wear a uniform 4 days a week, then most of his clothes would just sit in the closet. Plus in the grand scheme of things uniforms would be a hassle. The school provides them with one shirt, then you'd have to buy the rest at $16 apiece and they can only wear navy blue bottoms. My son is 3 and rarely comes home in the same condition I send him to school and still has accidents on occasion - I'd be washing clothes every day.

But yeah, I won't lie - him not being able to wear his clothes would kill me. Not because he's such a sharp dresser or I buy him really extravagant stuff but because I'm one of those people who hate feeling like I didn't get full value out of a dollar.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:52 PM

515 posts, read 1,363,502 times
There is not a noticeable socio-economic rift here at all. This is a working-class, industrial town. The steel mill, river freight and railroads are the bread and butter here, along with entry-level-type medical industry jobs. That's what I like about it. There isn't really any snobbery. Everyone here works hard, and they appreciate what they have. The houses are modest, but they are hard earned. When my (somewhat sheltered and very snooty) stepdaughter moved in with us, after her first day of school, she asked, "Where are all the rich people?" I answered, "Edwardsville. This is what most of America is like." She did not fit in here.

Here's a link to the article in a local paper. Granite City school uniform policy raises ire of parents, students - Homepage - Belleville News-Democrat (http://www.bnd.com/homepage/story/766599.html - broken link)

Here's another I just found. Suburban Journals | News | Decision about Granite City school uniforms delayed (http://suburbanjournals.stltoday.com/articles/2009/05/13/madison/news/doc4a0ad2ee787f1905634992.txt - broken link)

From the second article above: "Almost a dozen people spoke against the policy, citing objections ranging from stifling creativity to economics. They also said the proposed changes would not improve discipline, attendance or safety, which have been the primary reasons given by Superintendent Harry Briggs for putting the policy in place." It is my understanding, after research, that this is primarily being considered as a security measure. This is the most unsecured school campus I've ever been on... and they want to call school uniforms a security measure?!

Most of the things listed in the new dress code are already in effect now anyway. What will changing and limiting the COLORS and FABRICS of the clothing do to improve attendance, security, or discipline? IMHO, this may actually hurt attendance. If the kids don't care anyway, this may be the last straw that makes them stop coming all together. I know at least one like that (not my daughter, lol).

~D

Old 05-14-2009, 01:08 PM

363 posts, read 1,003,413 times
Quote:
It is my understanding, after research, that this is primarily being considered as a security measure. This is the most unsecured school campus I've ever been on... and they want to call school uniforms a security measure?!
I would love to hear the explanation behind this....I suppose that you could argue that those not in uniform would stick out and if they were not supposed to be on campus they could be told to leave. But since you have already said that the school is safe, I am not understanding this reasoning. When and if you find out, let us know. There are good points for school uniforms but from what you have said...it does not sound like school security is much of a problem in your town.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:13 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,007,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
I am actually for the uniforms in public school, it cuts down on a lot of teasing and unapproriate dress, it won't kill her to wear the unifroms for one year will it? In college, she will have all the time (or 4 years, whichever comes quicker) to find her indivdual "style", one year of khaki pants and a blazer shouldn't kill her.

Now I do disagree if the school board is sneaking around, holding secret meetings to decide on this without community input, that is a problem.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or