U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:04 PM

9,535 posts, read 13,377,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmom View Post
I'm not sure who posted it, but yes, it can be expensive at first for uniforms. My daughter will be a senior. And, if all goes well, she will graduate early. I think it is ludicrous to have to buy things she will never wear again! She does not own one pair of pants or one skirt that will comply with this code.
~D
Agree the way they handled this was not the best. Doing this behind closed doors was bound to cause suspicion and antagonism. Stupid idea.
OTOH as far as uniform policies go this one seems pretty lenient, you're not required to wear polo shirts, and you're not restricted to buying from 'approved' vendors. That helps, a lot, in the event that it does pass.
When my daughter was a junior our school system went to nearly the very same uniform policy as outlined in those articles. It took some searching (and listening to a lot of griping from my daughter) but we came up with several nice alternatives that still met the guidelines. Shirts that she could pair with jeans for weekend activities, some longer bohemian type skirts, plain tees and camis to layer under solid color jackets or blouses, etc.
Actually it was kind of nice to see her in something besides oversized t-shirts for a change. And when she got her first 'real' job, guess what she wore until she could save enough to shop for a new wardrobe? The tees and jeans she wore to college classes didn't cut it, so the 'uniforms' came out from the back of her closet.
I do think the uniforms helped our schools some. As an earlier poster mentioned it makes it easier to spot young people on campus that don't belong there, and it makes it more difficult for students to cut classes and hang out in public spaces. It does also cut down on a lot of the teasing that occurs because a student isn't sporting the latest hot designer label or name brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 07:29 PM

15,729 posts, read 22,797,914 times
What exactly would their uniform dress code be, if I might ask?

Old 05-15-2009, 12:06 AM

12,256 posts, read 15,803,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
If your child is coming home with destroyed clothing so frequently, there is a problem. Yes, preschoolers make a mess & spill & stain, but if it is so frequent & daily, you need to talk to the teachers.
They're not destroyed but I won't send him to school in stained clothes no more than I would wear stained clothes to work. He's 3 and in a class of 12 - if it were paint or something the teacher would be supervising I would say something. More often then not it's orange juice, grape jelly, spaghetti sauce, etc. He's a messy eater and I know that so just about all the clothes I buy for him are dark colors - those yellow shirts wouldn't have lasted at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Those white polos got dirty quite often - between red jello, spaghetti sauce, and the dirt on the playground, I went through a lot of oxyclean, shout, and bleach trying to keep them white.
LOL this is exactly what I meant, when I saw those shirts all I was thinking "I'm going to have to buy a new shirt every day."

My main problem with uniforms is like I said the feeling that he wouldn't get to war his other clothes. When I buy new clothes for myself I say "can I wear this to work, to church, is it casual enough to hang out in, is it something I could wear seasonally or year-round" because I hate buying clothes that I can only wear certain places or certain times. I love sandals but we can't wear them to work so I don't buy them that often. If he was wearing uniforms 16 days out the month; that means a lot of his clothes won't get worn and it would make me feel like I was wasting money.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:28 AM

3,107 posts, read 8,039,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
My main problem with uniforms is like I said the feeling that he wouldn't get to war his other clothes. When I buy new clothes for myself I say "can I wear this to work, to church, is it casual enough to hang out in, is it something I could wear seasonally or year-round" because I hate buying clothes that I can only wear certain places or certain times. ... If he was wearing uniforms 16 days out the month; that means a lot of his clothes won't get worn and it would make me feel like I was wasting money.
Ok...I get that you decided not to put your son in a certain school because you didn't want him to be in uniforms. What I don't get is that you're trying to make an argument for him not being able to wear the clothes you buy for him because he has to wear uniforms and that you would not to get the most out of your money by him not wearing the clothes you bought for him. Regardless of whether they are on sale or not or hand-me-downs - you don't HAVE to buy the clothes and you don't HAVE to accept the hand-me-downs. Doesn't it stand to reason that it would actually be better to KEEP your money rather than spending it on clothes for a pre-schooler?

I think that is where some of us are confused.

As for the original discussion, I wore a uniform from the time I was in nursery school thru HS. It was great NOT to have to wonder about what I was going to wear every day. We were allowed on certain days of the month in HS to wear "nice" clothes. Even then, you could tell right away who had more means than the other. I'm glad that we didn't have that to contend with on an everyday basis.

I agree that the school board could have handled it better though. Perhaps they were trying to avoid some of the current heat over this - obviously, it didn't work.

Perhaps, the seniors can negotiate a clause for their graduating class only (since the uniform code could be installed in THEIR final year) that would give them more leeway.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:11 AM

339 posts, read 1,058,625 times
I went to high school in a country where every public school has a uniform, period. The only people who didn't have to wear it was those in their final year of school as it was seen as a privilege for those who stayed on to finish school.

The school I went to was unusual in that they'd dropped the uniform for a number of years and embraced a sort of laisse-faire approach to education but decided to reintroduce it because the kids were scruffy and they had trouble enforcing a dress code.

What the school decided to do was to was phase it in - so for example the each new year started wearing the uniform but the years that had started before the uniform policy was introduced kept wearing their own clothes. I just scraped in before the policy was changed so I didn't have to wear a uniform, but my year was the last year. So all the younger kids had to wear them. I think this is a great way of introducing it - then when someone starts at the school their parents are already aware that their child is required to wear a uniform and it doesn't upset those who are already at the school. Maybe suggest that to the school board?

Old 05-15-2009, 06:17 AM

12,256 posts, read 15,803,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Regardless of whether they are on sale or not or hand-me-downs - you don't HAVE to buy the clothes and you don't HAVE to accept the hand-me-downs. Doesn't it stand to reason that it would actually be better to KEEP your money rather than spending it on clothes for a pre-schooler?

I think that is where some of us are confused.
But then what would he wear? It annoys me to no end to see parents dressed nicely and then their kids look like they just stepped off an ad of The Garbage Pail kids. I know a lot of people with the "they're kids; nobody looking at their clothes" attitude. When I buy for myself, I buy for my son as well. And when I spend money on clothes, I always consider how much wear (especially for him since he's growing) I will get out of them. I guess I'm just not explaining myself well but anyhow you all have a great weekend!

Old 05-15-2009, 06:26 AM

11,615 posts, read 19,743,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
But then what would he wear? It annoys me to no end to see parents dressed nicely and then their kids look like they just stepped off an ad of The Garbage Pail kids. I know a lot of people with the "they're kids; nobody looking at their clothes" attitude. When I buy for myself, I buy for my son as well. And when I spend money on clothes, I always consider how much wear (especially for him since he's growing) I will get out of them. I guess I'm just not explaining myself well but anyhow you all have a great weekend!
You need much LESS of it when they wear uniforms. All of my kids go to uniform schools. They all have decent clothes, but much LESS of it than they would need if they needed an outfit every day. Right now you need a nice outfit for every day, if he wore uniforms you would only need one or two.

Parents who use cost as a reason not to have uniforms are just dead wrong. Uniform clothes do not have to cost more than other clothes and you get MORE wear out of them. Plus with multiple kids they are re-usable.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:16 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,268,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmom View Post
I also posted this in the St. Louis forum, but I'd also like parents' opnions!

I am so disgusted right now I could just... UGH! The school board just had a meeting where they were trying to fly in under the radar a proposal to mandate school uniforms in the public schools. Granite City is not a town that has a high incidence of school violence, nor is there a large socio-economic rift here. There is already a pretty strict dress code in place, and it's enforced for the most part. What is the point????

Maybe I'm really having extra issues with this because it will be my daughter's senior year. She's not a fashion diva, nor does she dress in an outlandish fashion. Most of the high school kids dress normally, in a respectful casual manner. What is to be gained with this?

A lot of these kids will end up having to wear some kind of uniform for work the rest of their lives... Why on Earth do this at a public school??? What's the point???

A HUGE part of the reason I was sold on Granite City when we moved here a year ago was that it was one of the few school districts here that does not have uniforms.

I'd be open to opinions, or suggestions on how to get some attention to stop this, because of the 12 people who spoke to the school board Tuesday night, exactly 0 were in favor of this!

~D
I can only suggest getting a petition signed. If enough people are against it, the law makers will usually do something about it.

I can understand the reasoning behind uniforms, but I'm not really for it either.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:33 AM

1,668 posts, read 3,952,840 times
I see those solid polo shirts on clearance at Walmart from time to time for about $3-$5. I say LUCKY YOU to parents of kids in a uniform policy school! It must be nice.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:41 PM

5,384 posts, read 9,595,496 times
Wow! I am having a very tough time right now with my first grader and her being picked on by some rather snotty kids because she doesn't shop at a specific store.... already at SIX!!!! I only wish we had uniform! I think it would solve a lot of problems!!!!! I just posted this thread today...... here is the link....
shocked by how early this is starting.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or