U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 05:40 PM

12,256 posts, read 15,791,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You need much LESS of it when they wear uniforms. All of my kids go to uniform schools. They all have decent clothes, but much LESS of it than they would need if they needed an outfit every day. Right now you need a nice outfit for every day, if he wore uniforms you would only need one or two.

Parents who use cost as a reason not to have uniforms are just dead wrong. Uniform clothes do not have to cost more than other clothes and you get MORE wear out of them. Plus with multiple kids they are re-usable.
No, in my case that wouldn't work, especially the more use part because he's outgrowing clothes at a crazy rate right now. He's only 3 and he's already in a children's 5. If he went to a school that required a uniform; he'd only be able to wear his regular clothing to school 1 day a week. That means the majority of his clothes wouldn't get worn, especially his winter clothing. Maybe it wouldn't be a big deal if he didn't already have clothes but since he does, it is. You know maybe having only one or two nice outfits works for your kids but I don't have one or two nice outfits that I wear to church or when I go out with friends so I don't see why I would only purchase one or two for my son.

From some of the juvenile and tacky comments that I've gotten through rep points I guess people are under the impression that I'm spending hundreds of dollars on clothing for a toddler, which is not the case. Most of his his clothes are the mix and match store brands (Jumping Beans from Kohls, Circo from Target, Toughskins from Sears) and they are always about $5 apiece. So while it might be beneficial for others to spend $10 on 2 shirts and let your child wear those to school everyday - it's not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 05:51 PM

1,861 posts, read 4,555,452 times
I'm actually pretty excited b/c my daughter will be wearing a uniform starting next year. It's actually a fairly "loose" uniform code, but all items (other than socks, belts, tights) must be bought from the Lands' End Uniform catalogue. I did, however, attend the uniform "hand-me-down" sale at school and bought a total of 17 items for $175! The most expensive item (a fleece jacket) was $20. Polos were $5 and long-sleeved shirts and skirts were $10. Some of the whites had a few stains, but I just picked through the pile and found the best ones there. It will save me a lot of money next year, so I'm all for it!

Old 05-24-2009, 08:11 PM

11,614 posts, read 19,716,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
No, in my case that wouldn't work, especially the more use part because he's outgrowing clothes at a crazy rate right now. He's only 3 and he's already in a children's 5.

That doesn't go on forever. Their rate of growth slows down considerably during the K-5 years.

If he went to a school that required a uniform; he'd only be able to wear his regular clothing to school 1 day a week.

In our school he wouldn't be able to wear it to school at all.

That means the majority of his clothes wouldn't get worn, especially his winter clothing. Maybe it wouldn't be a big deal if he didn't already have clothes but since he does, it is.

Yeah-but eventually he will outgrow all that stuff and all he will need is a few nice things for the weekends plus his uniforms.

You know maybe having only one or two nice outfits works for your kids but I don't have one or two nice outfits that I wear to church or when I go out with friends so I don't see why I would only purchase one or two for my son.

You would only purchase one or two nice outfits because that is all he would need. You wear your other clothes to work or other everyday places. He wouldn't need to do that so you could buy him much less for everyday use. His uniforms REPLACE his other stuff for 5 out of 7 days a week.

From some of the juvenile and tacky comments that I've gotten through rep points I guess people are under the impression that I'm spending hundreds of dollars on clothing for a toddler, which is not the case. Most of his his clothes are the mix and match store brands (Jumping Beans from Kohls, Circo from Target, Toughskins from Sears) and they are always about $5 apiece. So while it might be beneficial for others to spend $10 on 2 shirts and let your child wear those to school everyday - it's not for me.
There are lots of legitimate reasons for opposing school uniforms, but IMO cost is not one of them.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
There are lots of legitimate reasons for opposing school uniforms, but IMO cost is not one of them.
I'm not going to quibble with you - if one or two outfits is fine for your children then good for you. For mine it's not. We're visiting family in Georgia right now for the weekend; we're only going to be a total of 5 days but I brought 8 outfits for my son. Not because we're so hung up on fashion that he needs to be fashionably dressed every second of the day but

1) I wasn't sure what the weather was going to be like so I brought a variety
2) I wasn't sure of where we'd be going, aside from church this morning
3) My son is extremely messy. I could put him in an all white room and he'd find a way to get a spot on his clothes before we go out. If it's not a stain then he'll lose a button, rip his pants leg. This is a photo of him Easter Sunday.

I kept him covered in one my T-shirts right up until we got to the church. I let him out of the car, first thing he does is knock a cup of the back of the car next to us and spill water all over his vest. And since my mother says I was extremely hard on clothes, I doubt he's going to outgrow this anytime soon. If I had to do uniforms I'd have to replace them after about 5 or 6 wears or spend hundreds of dollars in Resolve Spray and Wash.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:19 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,384,279 times
Aw, cute kid.

We are in the opposite boat going from uniforms (k-8 private school) to almost anything goes including shorts (public high school). I will miss the uniforms. They are so much cheaper, the kids look better, my child prefers uniforms, dang, what a bummer.

From that poll on that first link about the OP's school board it looks like 77% of the respondents to the poll want the uniforms. Yikes.

Uniforms RULE! I was not crazy about it initially, but the private school was so good I just accepted the uniforms and my opinion totally changed that first year. Uniforms are much better. This year I spent $200 for the entire uniform including shoes and that's it. 3 pants, 3 shirts, shoes, undershirts, socks - 9 months worth of wear.

The one big uniform change that happened is they no longer require the uniform shirts to be tucked in. Both the girls shirts and the boys are designed to be left out. Overweight kids (and plenty of others) tend to hate to have their shirts tucked in. It's just not flattering. So, the requirement to be tucked in changed.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Uniforms RULE! I was not crazy about it initially, but the private school was so good I just accepted the uniforms and my opinion totally changed that first year. Uniforms are much better. This year I spent $200 for the entire uniform including shoes and that's it. 3 pants, 3 shirts, shoes, undershirts, socks - 9 months worth of wear.
See I think that's where I'm not seeing the benefit of uniforms cost-wise. Because about 50% of his clothes are handed down from older cousins I don't really spend a lot on his clothes. I doubt I spent $300 in all of 2008 and that included 4 pair of sneakers. I guess maybe it's because he was in toddler clothes and I could find really nice stuff for under $5. If he keeps growing at this rate I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune in a few years.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:57 PM

3,107 posts, read 8,032,106 times
Quote:
See I think that's where I'm not seeing the benefit of uniforms cost-wise. Because about 50% of his clothes are handed down from older cousins I don't really spend a lot on his clothes. I doubt I spent $300 in all of 2008 and that included 4 pair of sneakers. I guess maybe it's because he was in toddler clothes and I could find really nice stuff for under $5. If he keeps growing at this rate I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune in a few years.
Maybe that's where the difference is - that your son is but a toddler and perhaps at that age, uniforms don't make a whole lot of sense yet.

I don't even want to think of what I've spent on clothes for my children in this last year so I am going to push for enrolling them in a "uniform" school when the time comes. DH won't fuss about it either as he a) likes to save money and b) agrees with my overall thoughts on uniforms.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:55 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,654,865 times
Come visit the land down under during school term time.
Most kids wear uniforms.
Just look around even talk to a few.
You will find it really is a non issue.
Does not solve all of the problems of the world but it does have a levelling effect.
The girls still do little things to individualise themselves.
And they can still show off after school and on weekends.
But it just seems to not be the same stress thing that it is in the USofA

Old 05-25-2009, 08:07 AM

3,566 posts, read 4,491,128 times
I don't like uniforms and we although we have had several push's for them here it has not become mandatory. Its almost as bad as whoever dreamed up wear your pajama's to school day. That person should be beaten.

I think its an easy suspension which is ignorant. Secondly, I have two problems for gang color argument. The kids already know so it does not resolve anything in that arena. It has just made it that much harder for the school to figure out who is what. Oooh, so if we close our eyes, it does not exist.

Uniforms have done nothing out here to stop the bullying factor.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:22 AM

11,614 posts, read 19,716,271 times
Quote:
I'm not going to quibble with you - if one or two outfits is fine for your children then good for you. For mine it's not. We're visiting family in Georgia right now for the weekend; we're only going to be a total of 5 days but I brought 8 outfits for my son. Not because we're so hung up on fashion that he needs to be fashionably dressed every second of the day but

1) I wasn't sure what the weather was going to be like so I brought a variety
2) I wasn't sure of where we'd be going, aside from church this morning
3) My son is extremely messy. I could put him in an all white room and he'd find a way to get a spot on his clothes before we go out. If it's not a stain then he'll lose a button, rip his pants leg. This is a photo of him Easter Sunday.

I kept him covered in one my T-shirts right up until we got to the church. I let him out of the car, first thing he does is knock a cup of the back of the car next to us and spill water all over his vest. And since my mother says I was extremely hard on clothes, I doubt he's going to outgrow this anytime soon. If I had to do uniforms I'd have to replace them after about 5 or 6 wears or spend hundreds of dollars in Resolve Spray and Wash.
He is so messy because he is little. Once he is in elementary school he would not be as messy. They do grow up. You would not have to replace uniforms after 5 or 6 wearings that's just ridiculous. Besides, if you have enough money to buy him 8 outfits for 5 days you probably wouldn't feel the supposed pinch from uniforms.

I think that you are seeing your child as he is at 3. But they grow up. They don't spill stuff on themselves every time they walk out of the car when they are 10. Plus-uniforms wash. Stains come out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or