U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:22 AM

6,585 posts, read 22,387,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
See I think that's where I'm not seeing the benefit of uniforms cost-wise. Because about 50% of his clothes are handed down from older cousins I don't really spend a lot on his clothes. I doubt I spent $300 in all of 2008 and that included 4 pair of sneakers. I guess maybe it's because he was in toddler clothes and I could find really nice stuff for under $5. If he keeps growing at this rate I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune in a few years.
HUGE difference between dressing a 3-year-old and dressing a 14-year-old. Even at some point hand me downs won't come because your kid will become the same size as the kid handing down and he won't be handing down anymore. My son handed down to his younger cousin until about age 6 and now that kid is bigger than my kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 10:23 AM

12,256 posts, read 15,793,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
He is so messy because he is little. Once he is in elementary school he would not be as messy. They do grow up. You would not have to replace uniforms after 5 or 6 wearings that's just ridiculous. Besides, if you have enough money to buy him 8 outfits for 5 days you probably wouldn't feel the supposed pinch from uniforms.

I think that you are seeing your child as he is at 3. But they grow up. They don't spill stuff on themselves every time they walk out of the car when they are 10. Plus-uniforms wash. Stains come out.
I really don't know what your issue is. I said from the beginning I chose a school that didn't require uniforms NOW because he is messy NOW. However he may be in a few years has nothing to do with uniforms NOW. And don't tell me having to replace it after 5 or 6 wearings is ridiculous as I'm the one who washes my sons clothes - not you. I do know that uniforms can be washed and stains do come out but unfortunately I do not have the time nor the desire to stand over the sink scrubbing stains out of the pale yellow shirts the schools require. Like I told another poster, maybe I'll feel differently when he's older and clothes are more expensive. I said I brought 8 outfits with us for the weekend - not that I purchased 8 new outfits; these are clothes he already had in his closet.

But I'm not going to argue with you about this anymore; you have your opinion and I have mine so I'm just going to agree to disagree with you and leave it at that.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:09 AM

11,614 posts, read 19,720,716 times
Quote:
I really don't know what your issue is.
My issue is that cost is not really a reason to oppose uniforms. If a parent CHOOSES to buy extra clothes for their child, that is their choice, but it doesn't make uniform clothes more expensive.

That is the parent choosing to spend money on extra clothes NOT an additional cost associated with uniforms.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:32 AM

12,256 posts, read 15,793,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
My issue is that cost is not really a reason to oppose uniforms. If a parent CHOOSES to buy extra clothes for their child, that is their choice, but it doesn't make uniform clothes more expensive.

That is the parent choosing to spend money on extra clothes NOT an additional cost associated with uniforms.
And as I told another poster cost is an issue for me NOW because I get a lot of clothing free or else at really good prices. Once he gets older and I am not able to get hand me downs or catch really good sales than maybe it would be a problem. Since it became such a big deal on this forum, I actually pulled the info from the school. Another poster mentioned you can often get the polo shirts from Wal-mart or Target on clearance; they require all the major components of the uniform to be purchased from the school or through Dennis Manufacturing. the cost for one of those yellow shirts is $16. For $16 I can probably buy 5 or 6 shirts. That was my point from the beginning. In the long run - for the current school year - I would have spent more money on the uniform than I would buying regular clothing. So I chose a different school.

But I don't appreciate being called ridiculous nor do I appreciate your little attitude so from now on I'll just ignore you.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:46 AM

6,262 posts, read 16,966,164 times
I homeschooled my 2 youngest.
That solved every issue I had--period!
Having said that; let me add that had I not homeschooled, I would have pushed for uniforms. The school system they would have been in now has a uniform policy. It helps in multiple ways to have a uniform system in place.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:11 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,335,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
I homeschooled my 2 youngest.
That solved every issue I had--period!
Having said that; let me add that had I not homeschooled, I would have pushed for uniforms. The school system they would have been in now has a uniform policy. It helps in multiple ways to have a uniform system in place.
I don't know about home schooling because they don't get the chance to interact and learn social skills

Old 05-25-2009, 12:22 PM

11,614 posts, read 19,720,716 times
Quote:
And as I told another poster cost is an issue for me NOW because I get a lot of clothing free or else at really good prices. Once he gets older and I am not able to get hand me downs or catch really good sales than maybe it would be a problem. Since it became such a big deal on this forum, I actually pulled the info from the school. Another poster mentioned you can often get the polo shirts from Wal-mart or Target on clearance; they require all the major components of the uniform to be purchased from the school or through Dennis Manufacturing. the cost for one of those yellow shirts is $16. For $16 I can probably buy 5 or 6 shirts. That was my point from the beginning. In the long run - for the current school year - I would have spent more money on the uniform than I would buying regular clothing. So I chose a different school.

But I don't appreciate being called ridiculous nor do I appreciate your little attitude so from now on I'll just ignore you.
I am not childish enough to comment on someone else's attitude.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:48 PM

6,262 posts, read 16,966,164 times
LMAO
how would you know if you've never done it?
Trust me--they get/got plenty of socialization.
They got a superb education and are proud college graduates. They have wonderful social skills and countless friends

Don't judge if you know not of what you speak.
There are countless organizations for homeschooled children.
They have/had neighborhood friends,cousins,met friends all over........
homeschooling doesn't mean locked away in a cage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I don't know about home schooling because they don't get the chance to interact and learn social skills

Old 05-25-2009, 01:05 PM

544 posts, read 918,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I wouldnt say that it depends on how much their parents interact with them and teach them social skills besides I have known kids who have always been in school and have no social skills at all

Im a little shocked at how some of the posters responded on this topic some of the comments were borderline attacks I have one child who wears uniforms and one who does not they go to different schools because of their ages I tend to spend more money on the child who wears uniforms because he has a lot of extracurruiclar activites that he doesn't want to wear his uniform to either way it is a choice and whatever side you fall on does not make you a bad parent mystance on uniforms is that i dont mind them but they dont make life any easier/harder. on days when i'm in a hurry its nice to be able to grab whatevers clean out of the closet and tell them to put it on with my son we've had so many instances where he cant find his shirt is it in the dryer, is it dirty, is it in a drawer because he was too lazy to hang it up that i made him start getting his stuff together at night but there are still times when he waits to the last minute to tell me he doesnt have a clean pair of pants to wear the next day

Old 05-25-2009, 01:10 PM

1,025 posts, read 963,881 times
My child went to a school that required uniforms for two years, then we moved to another state. She does not have to wear a uniform now. I prefer the uniforms hands-down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or