Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 02:05 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I don't think I would with my son - I get a lot of hand-me-down clothes and most of his stuff is brought on sale. The shirts (which are pale yellow) at the school are $16 apiece. I would need at least 3 and between his everyday wear and washing - I would have to replace them often because I won't send him to school in stained clothing. Maybe when he's older it'll be more economical but right now toddler clothes are fairly inexpensive.
If your child is coming home with destroyed clothing so frequently, there is a problem. Yes, preschoolers make a mess & spill & stain, but if it is so frequent & daily, you need to talk to the teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 02:05 PM

363 posts, read 1,145,899 times
As I stated earlier in the thread my child wears a uniform to school but he goes to a private school. I knew that going into the situation and I was ok with it. I could lay out some very good reasons to wear uniforms at school and some have been stated already. (by the way, we do resale at the end of the year too...very inexpensive way to pick up good uniforms)

However, the OP did not want to send her child to a school that requires uniforms. That is her right regardless of other opinions. She was inquiring about ways to handle a sneaky decision by a school district.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:08 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
Their is no rule (that I know of) that states that you have to purchase the "pale yellow shirts" from the school's distrubutor directly. You can always buy a regular pale yellow shirt, blue slacks, from say wal-mart or salvation army even, and if need be sew the school emblem on it (if it is required on sweaters or jackets)
The school my son attended had the uniform distributor put the school name on the sleeve of the polo, and a tiny little flag type logo on the back of the pants.

You had to have those - proof you got the item from the official distributor and no quibbles over whether it was the right shade of dark green or the right kind of navy pants.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:08 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
Their is no rule (that I know of) that states that you have to purchase the "pale yellow shirts" from the school's distrubutor directly. You can always buy a regular pale yellow shirt, blue slacks, from say wal-mart or salvation army even, and if need be sew the school emblem on it (if it is required on sweaters or jackets)
I don't know - I never looked into it once I decided he wouldn't go there. Even with that, I still would have the issue of his other clothing. Like I said, we go a lot and he gets a lot. Ive already asked his paternal grandparents to stop sending so much because he had more clothes than he could wear. If he was wearing uniforms 4 days out of the week - I wouldn't feel like I was getting my money's worth out of his other clothing. I guess maybe that doesn't make sense in the grand scheme of education, but both schools are A school and I met with both teachers so I felt comfortable with my choice.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:10 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
If your child is coming home with destroyed clothing so frequently, there is a problem. Yes, preschoolers make a mess & spill & stain, but if it is so frequent & daily, you need to talk to the teachers.
Our old school went from white to dark green the year my son went from preK to kinder and had to start wearing the uniform. The year he was in Kinder, he could wear white - since I had a couple of white polos, I used them along with the new dark green ones. I liked the way the white polos looked.

Those white polos got dirty quite often - between red jello, spaghetti sauce, and the dirt on the playground, I went through a lot of oxyclean, shout, and bleach trying to keep them white.

I really appreciated those dark green polos the next year!

Old 05-14-2009, 02:12 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
"Burnett said the district will revise the policy this week and see that the proposal is sent to all the families of the district before the next board meeting, where it will come back for a vote. The board meets again May 26."

There ya go. That is what needs to be read & understood by the families.

I read both articles. The students want individuality & feel that uniforms do not allow that to occur. Yes, some mention $$, but it was mostly about the choice of what to wear.

Most importantly, it sounds like the board was NOT upfront about what it was doing. That is wrong.

Regardless of the decision, maybe this is a good way for the students to learn about civil duty & involvement.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:13 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I don't think I would with my son - I get a lot of hand-me-down clothes and most of his stuff is brought on sale. The shirts (which are pale yellow) at the school are $16 apiece. I would need at least 3 and between his everyday wear and washing - I would have to replace them often because I won't send him to school in stained clothing. Maybe when he's older it'll be more economical but right now toddler clothes are fairly inexpensive.
I pay $20 for my older kids shirts, but they wear adult sizes. Kids sizes are less.

This year I only bought shirts for my oldest and youngest. Last year I bought shirts only for my middle and none of them got new shorts last year. I was able to get 2 years out of everyone's shorts (LOVE adjustable waistbands).

Parents are pretty good about sharing hand me downs even at expensive private schools. If you buy the clothes a size bigger than what they need now and let them wear them until they outgrown them you can get about a year and a half to two years out of the clothes, especially the shorts/pants with the adjustable waistbands.

I am very lazy and I like to have 5 shirts/shorts for each child but with hand me downs I don't have to buy that many. I only buy one pair of long pants per child. It doesn't get cold enough for long enough here to justify more than that. If it's cold I wash thier pants every day.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:17 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,469 times
I am very much in favour of school uniforms. Almost all schools in Australia have uniforms. Both private and Government schools. Although there some of both that don't have uniforms so that the real anti uniform die hards can find a school.

I think the uniform issue is a making of the parents. The kids really don't care and in some cases they prefer the uniform. Even girls who will try and out do each other when they go to youth group or a party are quite happy not to have to engage in the compeditive colthes game every day.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:59 PM

515 posts, read 1,557,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
"Burnett said the district will revise the policy this week and see that the proposal is sent to all the families of the district before the next board meeting, where it will come back for a vote. The board meets again May 26."

There ya go. That is what needs to be read & understood by the families.

I read both articles. The students want individuality & feel that uniforms do not allow that to occur. Yes, some mention $$, but it was mostly about the choice of what to wear.

Most importantly, it sounds like the board was NOT upfront about what it was doing. That is wrong.

Regardless of the decision, maybe this is a good way for the students to learn about civil duty & involvement.
Thank you. And originally, I believe the board was set to vote on this Tuesday, but when there was such a fuss made, they had second thoughts.

Axiden - There were 12 people who spoke at the meeting. Six of them were parents, the other six were students. The kids do care very, very much.

I'm not sure who posted it, but yes, it can be expensive at first for uniforms. My daughter will be a senior. And, if all goes well, she will graduate early. I think it is ludicrous to have to buy things she will never wear again! She does not own one pair of pants or one skirt that will comply with this code. With my first grader, not such a big deal. At his age, the boys aren't really worried about it.

One more point is that the existing dress code has only been in place since 2006. Has it really been given a chance to be proven? Three school years? If that didn't help whatever issue they are tying to address, why on Earth would they think this would? Plus the covert nature in which they were trying to pass this lends itself to the suspicion that they know very well the parents do not want this change.

~D

Old 05-14-2009, 05:02 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
uniforms are great. the kids wear them and its not a financial burden. i dont see how it can be a financial burden at all. instead of buying back to school clothes at the dept store, you buy a few sets of their uniforms. usually the polos come in the school colors. a choice of three. they can alternate. the pants arent really a problem. and there are subsidy programs. its makes it a lot easier having to not worry about what they wear to school.

it also stops kids from compaing brands. it stops kids from being targetted for any reason.

it does instill cleanliness and a sense of responsibilty. while its not military academy, its still very nice to see uniformity.

the good thing about the schools around here is that every week or couple weeks they get "free dress". they can wear what they want.

and usually for HS seniors the uniform/dress code is a bit relaxed.

do seniors still petition for "privileges" (i.e. less stringent dress code, better parking, off campus lunch, etc)

overall i think that uniforms are better. socially. economically. educationally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting