U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 04:07 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,794,136 times

Advertisements

Yes we do. We have taught them that when they are introduced to an adult, they look them in the eye and shake their hand, answer with a yes sir, no ma'am, etc...
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 04:23 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,254,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Yes we do. We have taught them that when they are introduced to an adult, they look them in the eye and shake their hand, answer with a yes sir, no ma'am, etc...
Oh, I wish you hadn't gone there. Some pious halfwit will go off on you, saying how you're raising your children to be subservient or some such nonsense.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:51 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,794,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, I wish you hadn't gone there. Some pious halfwit will go off on you, saying how you're raising your children to be subservient or some such nonsense.

Oh, I thought you were going to tell me I was on a soap box again

Old 05-18-2009, 04:57 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,254,652 times
Quote:
Oh, I thought you were going to tell me I was on a soap box again
Nah. I can differentiate between the two.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:33 PM

12,256 posts, read 15,801,556 times
Quote:
I do pretty much the same with my son (except for the hand shaking - his hands are often in his mouth, nose, ear, etc so that's pretty gross) but I insist on the ma'am and sir. I always mentally cringe when I hear kids answer adults with "yeah"

Old 10-29-2009, 10:47 AM

4 posts, read 4,789 times
I agree I teach my 8,10 and 15 year old to look adults in the eye have a firm handshake and to speak clearly and politlely. They need to know how to intaract with adults. It is sad that some parents teach kids to far all strangers. The truth is we need to teach our kids to make good choices and how to be adults! If something ever happend I want my kids to be able to seek help not to cower in fear!. On the same hand I cant stand it when kids think they are adults and should stand there and interupt and adult conversation and cant figure out when to excuse themselfves from an adult conversation. Its all about respect for themselves and others

Old 10-29-2009, 03:28 PM

51,371 posts, read 50,627,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
One thing that always shocks me when I go to family or friends social events is how uncommunicative the kids are and the parents seem not to care. If I had kids one of the things I would drill into him/her is the ability to interact with adults. I am not expecting an adult conversation at an early age but at least some polite greetings and an attempt at a little small talk.

Why do so many parents not teach their kids to interact with adults? Or is it an impossible chore?
The key is to start early, and to speak to them as if they are adults! Skip the stupid baby talk all the time and talk talk talk to your baby before they can even speak. Teach them to say "please" and "thank you" as toddlers. Teach them to LOOK at people when they are speaking to them, too.

My daughter is now 18, and I have always been complimented by teachers and other adults about how well-spoken she is. It didn't take a huge effort. I find it very bizarre that some parents seem to think their kids are just going to pick up manners and conversational skills from out of thin air. Parents have to teach their kids the basics. That's our job.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:14 PM

544 posts, read 1,994,761 times
My kids always preferred to be around adults even when they were younger. Most adults we knew treated our kids as if they were grown up, not some "darned kid" in the way. So yes, they knew how to interract with adults, be it relatives or acquaintances.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:20 AM

2,779 posts, read 4,502,069 times
I agree that children need to know how to converse politely with adults. They also need to know when they are dominating the conversation. There is nothing I hate more than going to a friend's home and spending the evening talking to their 9yr old about soccer...or watching how "cute" their 2yr old is. Children should be taught to be polite, say hello, a few moments of conversation and then leave. If its a sit down dinner then they should participate on a minimal level, while still being polite.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:22 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,588,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
One thing that always shocks me when I go to family or friends social events is how uncommunicative the kids are and the parents seem not to care. If I had kids one of the things I would drill into him/her is the ability to interact with adults. I am not expecting an adult conversation at an early age but at least some polite greetings and an attempt at a little small talk.

Why do so many parents not teach their kids to interact with adults? Or is it an impossible chore?
The below are things my husband and I try to instill in our children. Our son is almost 11, and our daughter is almost 5. There are too many children that have no manners anymore. We try to teach them the right and wrong way to speak with adults.

"Excuse me..."
"Please..."
"Thank you.."
"May I...?"
"Yes Sir"...
"No Sir"...
"Yes Maam"...
"No Maam"...
"Hello Mrs / Mr" (fill in blank)....
"How are you?"....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or