U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 01:44 PM

326 posts, read 1,147,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I don't understand. They would help pay the premium for REAL insurance like HMO or PPO?

We have medicaid (ALL KIDS) I don't like it. The care sucks. I want my daughter to see a good doctor. I have found a couple but they take many insurance types but NOT medicaid.
Do you have just regular medicaid? Your right a lot of good doctor don't take regular medicaid but I have Medicaid PPO through United Health Care...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 09:03 PM

396 posts, read 906,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
My husband and I are looking into full medical coverage for my daughter only.

His work does not pay any part of it so we are looking to do it on our own.

Any experience with a company? Advice? How much do you pay IF YOU PAY FOR YOUR CHILDREN ONLY?

Not intersted in starting debate on who pays what and why and/or why not or comments on public aid and so on.
Depending on what kind of income you take in as a family, you may qualify for your state's health insurance, if they have a good program. NY, CT and MA have awesome programs. Other states as well, unfortunately some do not. I think the southern states are not up to speed yet.
But the states who have gotten organized on this do. Good luck! Oh, and if the income is low enough, the parents may qualify too, full or on a sliding scale...

Old 05-16-2009, 09:18 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,442,123 times
To rehash for miasmommy: They have Medicaid, which I believe is the state funded healthcare for her child. The doctor she wants does not accept Medicaid. The doctors she has available to her through Medicaid are not to her liking. Therefore, she wants to pay for private insurance for the baby.

Miasmommy: one thing I just thought of - Unless your daughter has ongoing serious health issues, for what you pay for private insurance per month, it might be cheaper to pay cash for doctor visits to this ped and keep the medicaid for major medical/hospital/pharmacy/lab coverage. I know someone who does not have health insurance for their family (they prefer to keep a large amount of money in a reserve fund) and negotiates cash discounts at the doctor's office.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:35 PM

396 posts, read 906,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
To rehash for miasmommy: They have Medicaid, which I believe is the state funded healthcare for her child. The doctor she wants does not accept Medicaid. The doctors she has available to her through Medicaid are not to her liking. Therefore, she wants to pay for private insurance for the baby.

Miasmommy: one thing I just thought of - Unless your daughter has ongoing serious health issues, for what you pay for private insurance per month, it might be cheaper to pay cash for doctor visits to this ped and keep the medicaid for major medical/hospital/pharmacy/lab coverage. I know someone who does not have health insurance for their family (they prefer to keep a large amount of money in a reserve fund) and negotiates cash discounts at the doctor's office.
Great idea!

Old 05-17-2009, 05:10 AM

20,793 posts, read 52,417,041 times
I know a kids only policy with a good insurance company in MN is $106/month. Yes, you can have an insurance policy only on a child HOWEVER, check to see if by buying this policy on your child that you won't lose your own coverage with Medicaid.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:14 AM

2,838 posts, read 8,849,189 times
Lisdol has a great idea. Take your daughter to the doctor that you want, and pay out of pocket. Keep her Medicaid for emergencies, shots, and prescriptions (if any). Assuming she only goes for periodic checkups and an occasional sick visit, you can probably see the doc that you prefer for those types of things (paying out of pocket), the health department for vaccines (free), and use your urgent care or ER for emergencies (paid for by the Medicaid). That would probably be much cheaper than buying insurance for just her.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:52 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,657,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Lisdol has a great idea. Take your daughter to the doctor that you want, and pay out of pocket. Keep her Medicaid for emergencies, shots, and prescriptions (if any). Assuming she only goes for periodic checkups and an occasional sick visit, you can probably see the doc that you prefer for those types of things (paying out of pocket), the health department for vaccines (free), and use your urgent care or ER for emergencies (paid for by the Medicaid). That would probably be much cheaper than buying insurance for just her.

I did that until I mentioned to the doctor (saw him twice) just that. The doctor is also a lawyer and explained to me many reasons why he cannot see a patiend who has medicaid who is paying him out of pocket. So he knows, and he continues to give me very little if any medical advice since he is not allowed to.

I shouldn't have said anything

My husband's insurance does not have open registration until January. It's a bit expensive but they do pay 40%. . . . Haven't applied so don't know what the 60% would be. I still have to contact the public aid office because my husband and I will still need to be covered by the state until he gets his new job in 18 months which has crazy big coverage!!!

This by the way would be temporary (18 months) unless we can transfer her somehow. . . .

And yes, paying this md out of pocket WAS quite cheap since he is not the typical doctor. His well visits are only 3 for the first year and my kid has not been sick yet exept for teething. She had pink eye and he advised me to put breastmilk in it and it cleared up in a day

Thanks for the advice everyone

Old 05-17-2009, 07:54 AM

2,838 posts, read 8,849,189 times
How weird... I wonder why he can't see you if you have Medicaid?

Old 05-17-2009, 07:58 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,657,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
How weird... I wonder why he can't see you if you have Medicaid?
It's against the law. He can't bill it because I have state coverage. the state will also wonder why I can pay out of pocket yet need their assistance, even though like I said this doctor doesn't see you that often so it is quite affordable.

There are many factors. Like I said he's a lawyer too. That is how I came across him.

It's a sticky situation.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:12 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,442,123 times
Bummer. Too bad - that would have been a good situation. Too bad Medicaid does not have a Point of Service option like regular insurance does (of course there would be the point you made of how can you afford to pay POS if you are on state-funded health insurance?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or