U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 02:19 PM

2,466 posts, read 4,210,459 times

Advertisements

I do not feel that a parent should deny their children medical treatments especially if there is a clear chance that what they are sick with can be cured. Children are dependant on us adults to do what is right by them. They can not make those types of decisions on their own and they are at the mercy of the ones whom they have been entrusted by God with caring for them. To deny a child some type of medical treatment is IMO child neglect and endangerment. I know that doctors do not know everything and it is not wise to always take the word of one doctor when someone is diagnosed with a possible fatal disease and cure for that disease. Second, third or even more opinions should be sought before anyone decides a course of action. If an adult wishes to deny themselves medical treatment that is a whole different story. They are old enough to make decisions about their own health, but a child under the age of 18 has little or no say over things that affects them personally. They have no voting power so they are dependant on the adults around them to make the best choices for them.

I didn't read the article, but just by reading some of the responses I know that this child has been diagnosed with cancer which has a high chance of being treated completely. It leaves me to wonder how did he get diagnosed in the first place? Obviously the parents took him to the doctor to begin with to find out what was wrong with him, so why are they so unconcerned now that they know what is wrong and using their religion as an excuse to deny him treatment? If they don't believe in medical intervention then why did they take him to a doctor in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 02:42 PM

758 posts, read 1,598,813 times
Update. Judge rules family can't refuse chemo for boy | Comcast.net (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20090515/US.MED.Forced.Chemo/ - broken link)

Old 05-15-2009, 02:44 PM

11,318 posts, read 16,858,239 times
These parents should be thrown in jail.

You bring a child into this world, it is your duty to do the best to take care of him. Nutritional supplements are not proper treatment for Cancer. If they were, the world's medical establishment would be advocating them as treatment. Some obscure tribe of Native Americans does not constitute a group of medical experts.

What's next? Withhold food and water?

Stupidity is part of the human condition. None of us are impervious to it at times. But I'd be damned if I'd ever let it impeded my common sense to the point where I gave my son a premature death sentence.

And it seems the judge agrees with me.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:44 PM

758 posts, read 1,598,813 times
Sorry I posted first before I noticed someone else had already said this.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:53 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,326,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjulia View Post
i really don't know how to parse 1) my aversion for big government and my strong belief that people have a right to their own bodies and beliefs, from 2) my equally strong belief that children have to right to protection from abuse and neglect.
bingo.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:57 PM

3,395 posts, read 3,217,143 times
This reminds me of the episode of "Seinfeld" when the character George was told the cost to having his tonsils removed. When Kramer told him how much cheaper a "holistic" treatment would be, he jumped at that option.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:59 PM

11,318 posts, read 16,858,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
This reminds me of the episode of "Seinfeld" when the character George was told the cost to having his tonsils removed. When Kramer told him how much cheaper a "holistic" treatment would be, he jumped at that option.
You know, despite the dire nature of this situation, I could not help but think of that as well.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:07 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,662,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
These parents should be thrown in jail.

You bring a child into this world, it is your duty to do the best to take care of him. Nutritional supplements are not proper treatment for Cancer. If they were, the world's medical establishment would be advocating them as treatment. Some obscure tribe of Native Americans does not constitute a group of medical experts.

What's next? Withhold food and water?

Stupidity is part of the human condition. None of us are impervious to it at times. But I'd be damned if I'd ever let it impeded my common sense to the point where I gave my son a premature death sentence.

And it seems the judge agrees with me.

Yea right! lol. Now what kind of money is there in this when you can sell expensive treatments like chemo and radiation?????

Funny how everyone focuses on the treatment and the cure when the real anwers are in the causes.

This poor family. I hope that they DO get to make the decision in the end regarding their own son's life.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:23 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,257,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Now what kind of money is there in this when you can sell expensive treatments like chemo and radiation????.
Yeah, that's right....chemo & radiation are solely done based on the profits of big business. As a child of parents who both were diagnoseed with cancer (mom-breast/dad-skin), please send me the link to the rain dance & song they could have sang instead of chemo/radiation!

Thank goodness a judge stepped in for these people who were WILLING to let their son die.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:49 PM

2,868 posts, read 8,460,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Yeah, that's right....chemo & radiation are solely done based on the profits of big business. As a child of parents who both were diagnoseed with cancer (mom-breast/dad-skin), please send me the link to the rain dance & song they could have sang instead of chemo/radiation!

Thank goodness a judge stepped in for these people who were WILLING to let their son die.
I agree...when it is a life or death situation...and the parents are choosing death for their son, someone needs to step in and protect that child from dying.

I do think parents absolutely should have the say in choosing care for their kids...and I also think it is only right for someone to step in to save a life that is totally salvageable...moreso a life of a child. How could any parent willingly let their child perish when they could be totally be saved? That is borderline abuse IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or