U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2009, 09:13 AM

96 posts, read 288,932 times

Advertisements

Viki. Our Mom, Grandma, Sister and Friend
Born on February 21. 1921, Viki was quite a "looker" as a young girl. She was always there to help her mom translate or whatever else was needed. Viki had three dogs and three husbands......She was married to Leo Ugran and had two beautiful children: Butch and Theresa. Later she divorced Leo and married Lawrence Erwin. Two additional children arrived: Marie and Larry. At 65, Viki divorced Lawrence, moved to Salem, and married John Oyer. Viki was always a progressive thinker... for her time!! Her dogs Goldie, Bear, and Sammie, were her lifetime faithful friends.

-Viki loved her parents, her brothers and sisters and her friends. She has always been the kind of person who would help whoever---whenever she can. Viki worked in the family business when her mother was alive to help support her.....and even gave Bill and Betty their wedding.

She married young and began having children right away. From that time forward, her children have been the love of her life. After divorcing Leo, she raised her two children on her own, until she met Lawrence. They did not think they would have chidlren, but Marie arrived and then five years later Larry. They bought the farm in Kensington and made a life together. Lawrence drove truck and would be away for a week at the time, leaving his young bride to milk cows and tend to the farm......

The kids helped some, but all left home early....Butch to the service, Theresa at just 16 to get married and live on her own farm near Harlem Springs, Ohio....Marie off the farm and to college and married in the first year....and Larry, just 16 also married young. Disturbed that they all left home so young, she turned to her minister who told her: "You taught them to fly"....and that she did. None of her children returned home to live with her again, and they all have made their way in the world, been independent, and happily married and raised their own families. A natural caregiver, Mom even took in two foster children after her own left home!!

Viki has been blessed with four children, who all love her dearly, eleven grandchildren, twenty-nine great grandchildren, one on the way and two great great grandchildren.......... Even though she was divorced three times, she has managed to keep her family always together. Yes, like most families we disagree.....after all we are our mother's children, so we each have our own mind.....but in the end, having been taught that family is important, we join together and stay together. We help each other out....and our Mom is the head of our family....and the love of our lives.....

Since late last summer, we have been planning an 88th birthday celebration for Mom. We held a meeting at the local diner in Salem, and the plans began. All seven of us were in on the party....and we all kept it from Mom. Everyone was excited to surprise here. Children, grandchildren, her brother Bill and sister Betty, the neices, and members of the 39ers were involved....all contributing pictures to make a CD of her life and family. We viewed various places of the party and finally decided on the Salem Golf and Country Club. Invitations were printed, sent and returned....... Over 100 people attended to celebrate Mom's 88th birthday......

To Mom from Marie--Our family has always been the center of Mom’s life. It seems that every decision she ever made, she made with us in mind. She has taught us life’s lessons, given us our morals and the standards we live by. Mom knows us better than anyone else and she is the first person we turn to when we need advice.

I’ve always said to anyone who would listen, and to many who did not really want to listen, that my mom fills a room...and "they just don't make 'em like my mom anymore." She rejoices in my good news, is excited about my accomplishments, and listens to me for hours. Mom exceeds the duties of a mother and surpasses the expectations of a friend.

I’ve been visiting with mom in Ohio since mid January this year, and it is amazing what she remembers: our Dreams, our Heartaches, our Accomplishments, our Arguments, where her tape and thumb tacks are, discussions we had years ago, our Hugs, hellos and goodbyes, the love shared with all of us, and the many times we have laughed and cried together…..
The blessings that have come from you are the most beautiful parts of our lives, Mom….You are generous, understanding, and supportative….. A Woman of wit and wisdom; strength and courage—A role model; advisor; and friend
You have taught me:

-To do what is right…not what is convenient or what is easy, but what is right.

-Sometimes with children it is better to pretend you don’t know: I only practiced piano when she was doing dishes and Mom would pretend she didn't know. My chidlren wish I had learned this lesson better.

-Patience……Mom waited in the cold car in Carrollton while I was at a dance; then listened to me chatter about who was there and what was said

-Service: Mom drove me 30 miles to Salem on the snow and ice for piano lessons

- To value a good sale: We got up at 5:00 am and drove to Minerva to stand in a line waiting for the opening day of a big clothes sale

-Be prepared: anyone can be pretty— and your sister is the pretty one.....you better be smart

-Work hard: Mom planted and tended to her garden; canned the vegetables, got up a 5:00 am to milk cows; drove a tractor; chased cows when they broke out of the fence

-Gathering together as a family is important—Sunday meals of roast beef, spaghetti, pies, and endless vegetables followed by long afternoons with the adults sitting in the yard talking and the older kids playing “let’s torment the little ones by keeping the pony away from them”

·-To have courage— When life beats you down, you simply pick yourself up and keep on going. At 65 years old, mom started over again. She divorced, moved into a house she re-did herself, got a job for the first time in her life, remarried and made a new life for herself. You have made me strong and confident that I too can have the courage to do whatever I need to do.
-To be honest--You have always been brave enough to tell the truth even when it would have been much easier to just tell me what I wanted to hear…not what I needed to hear

I can do anything I set my mind to—Paint the house herself, build closets, repair pipes, fix the electric, wallpaper a room

-How to love my family—Mom's eyes would sparkle when Theresa came home on weekends after she married and we would all prepare a special meal and wait for their arrival; when she sat with Larry and taught him to talk,

-Mom went to California to be with Butch and his family, waited for me to come home from school and tell her about my day….Or when her many grandchildren jumped into her arms….. You are like the sun who warms us all with your love

-Mom has endurance…..She has been our mother first and for the long haul…..when times were tough—when she struggled in her marriages, she just kept on keeping on even though it would have been easier to give up. She has stood by us and always did what was best for us.

-Mom is the very definition of Boundless energy—at 78 years old; my mom was in North Carolina when we bought the beach house… We shopped from 8:00 AM until 8:00 PM day after day to furnish the house

-Mom taught me to listen. You’ve always been rock I could cling to during the times when I was most fragile. You’ve listened to me and taught me more about the healing power of a listening ear than all the courses I could ever take in college

-Mom taught me that Mothers never give up on their children—we stand by our children no matter what—It was a lesson that I used often when my own children were teens.

-Mom taught me how to laugh until I cry or to cry until I laugh and we have done both together many times….

Mom, I admire you…….and no matter where I go or what I do you are always with me.

I feel your presence when I watch the rise and fall of the ocean, when I see the beauty of the mountains, or the setting sun. I see your ways in my brothers and my sister, and in my children and grandchildren. We are here today to honor you……… We all love you and thank you for the support and love you have given us.....for the things you have taught us, and for the difference you have made in each of our lives. I love you, Mom. Our Mom, grandma, sister and friend.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 10:41 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,187,973 times
Alohamarie that was beautiful. Your mum was so special.

Being a mum is the hardest job there is. As a mother - I look back at my mothers life - and see how much she gave for us.

She died in 2005 - suddenly. But her courage, determination and love will never ever be forgotten.

I remember the little sayings she said....funny little things....make me smile! She had a distinct sense of humour. She was brave and lived her life seeing the beauty around her despite the shadows and darkness that often haunted her.

Her faith in God was strong. She is with him now. Sometimes, I look up to the sky and say "Hello Mum we miss you" and just maybe she can see me and hear me...who knows?!!!

So my tribute to my mum is one word....Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or