U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 02:14 PM

5,210 posts, read 8,814,204 times

Advertisements

It might not be the toy for everyone, but the Slip and Slide has actually been around for quite a while. It first came on the market back in the '60's (introduced by Whamo). I had one when I was a kid and loved it. Now my kids have one and have about worn theirs out.

I don't think I would have enjoyed Cube World (those little hand held blocks with the electronic images that move between them) very much. My son enjoys playing with his every now and then. But I think they're kind of boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 03:01 PM

4,636 posts, read 4,949,127 times
I don't think anything today can beat the Golden Age of Toys from the 1950's, and early 60's. I love quality plastics, and some of the old plastics from that era are not only fun, they are worth a small fortune to collectors. So many "now" toys end up on shelves at thrift shops. They are basically junk in the box, and out. Had my mother been able to buy me a Bratz doll, I would have thrown it under the nearest train and celebrated the instant death of such an ugly creature. Modern toys, for the most part, are low quality, as well as overpriced. Some of the dolls have such tacky hair and dead looking eyes. The materials do not endure. Synthetic clothing deteriorates.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:33 PM

2,745 posts, read 12,859,006 times
I HAD a Slip & Slide when I was a kid. Apparently, time erased all negative memories of it, so I bought my son one when he was 7 or 8. "Mom, that's horrible!!"

Ooops. Sorry kiddo. I'd honestly forgotten and gotten nostalgic about the thing. I don't remember it being painful. Maybe I had a better lawn back then?

I agree with the battery operated toys. I didn't have many at all and I'm glad. My mom would have probably never replaced the batteries anyway, back in the day!

Of course that's EXACTLY what she buys for my kids. Go figure.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:07 PM

830 posts, read 2,285,949 times
I was scared to do my neighbor's Slip N Slide when I was a kid too.

I would have hated Bratz Dolls too. I didn't like Barbies. To me, there was no point in a doll that wasn't a baby doll. Never had an interest in doll whose purpose was not to take care of it.

I was all about My Little Ponies and Pound Puppies. Legos and Lincoln Logs were neat too.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:31 PM

12,975 posts, read 2,824,540 times
My daughter loves her Slip N Slide!

I second the vote for tossing the Bratz in the barrel!

Old 09-03-2009, 09:18 PM

2,745 posts, read 12,859,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyVT View Post
My daughter loves her Slip N Slide!

I second the vote for tossing the Bratz in the barrel!
In 4th grade if I remember right, my youngest boy came home and repeated what another boy (a friend of his) who had nothing but sisters had said to him:

"You know, they really should get those Bratz dolls off the market. They teach young girls that to be beautiful, they have to have impossibly large heads."

Old 09-04-2009, 06:02 AM

1,049 posts, read 2,401,123 times
I'll put in another vote for legos as the best toy ever. When I was young it was always legos for birthdays and christmases and I ended up getting quite the collection. Sometimes I still wish I could play with them.

I'd also like to say how much I HATE heelies. Every time I'm somewhere kids are skidding around on them I just want to trip them, pull them off and throw them at the parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting