U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 09:28 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,730,432 times

Advertisements

I think field trips can be a valuable, especially for people who learn by doing better than they learn by sitting in a classroom. Not to mention they are FUN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 09:32 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,521,622 times
Oh poo. If she doesn't want to send her kids, fine. Gives my kids that much more room to make a cloud or view an expensive piece of art or learn town history while walking through the historic district.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:18 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,502,858 times
I'm always excited for my children when they get to go on field trips. It brings what they learn in the classroom to life!

Old 05-17-2009, 07:33 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,266,067 times
It saves me the trouble of having to drive across town to take them myself and its educational and he's with peers AND he's getting out of the house and getting some social time in. I'm all for it.

Think of it as free daycare if it makes ya feel better lol

Old 05-17-2009, 08:49 PM

574 posts, read 1,801,497 times
Children learn everywhere, not only in the classroom. They learn at home, in church, on the playground, at the park, at the grocery store, in restaurants, on the baseball or soccer fields and yes, even on field trips! As a kindergarten teacher I can attest to the fact that my students have received some very worthwhile benefits going on class trips. They have learned how things operate behind the scenes, increased their vocabulary, math and social skills, learned about careers, nutrition, dental health, the value of reading, and the list goes on. And when this mom refuses to allow her child to go on a field trip, what does she think he is gaining by staying behind in someone else's classroom? Even if its something interesting, in addition to being educational, he is probably going to be resentful the whole time he is there and not gaining a lot of knowledge anyway.

Nancy

Old 05-17-2009, 09:13 PM

161 posts, read 484,383 times
Just out of curiosity, where do people live where field trips cost over $20? The most I think I have ever paid is about $8 (usually cost of admission or maybe a transportation fee). What kind of trips are these that cost $30 or $60? Is this public school or private?

Old 05-17-2009, 09:21 PM

2,700 posts, read 5,152,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
A group of ladies were talking and one of them was angry at the local school her son went to. She said learning was in the class room and she was tired of all the field trips that the kids were being sent on. She said that if a permission slip came in asking if her son could go on a school sponsored field trip, she always refused to sign.

As a parent she did not believe that the kids should be gallivanting around the town and wasting valuable instruction time on all these silly field trips. What do you think of her hard edged response?
Some of my most prized memories from my elementary school days, in particular, were from field trips we went on. There's something in the adage of "seeing is believing." Field trips allow students to SEE what they're learning...to give it a practical application. I think they're a good enhancement of the learning experience, although of course I'm sure that not all field trips are created equal.

(Someone mentioned an amusement park as a waste of time... We didn't go to an amusement park, but when I was a senior in high school, my physics teacher took us to one of the local city parks. I remember that he demonstrated the principles of centrifugal force, Isaac's laws of motion, gravity etc. using the playground toys. We all had a blast horsing around like little kids, but we also got to see our "book learning" in a relatable, real-world scenario. I think that any experience has education potential in the hands of a creative and skillful teacher.)

And I have to say that the mother referenced in the original post seems authoritarian and distinctly un-fun. What a drag. Parents can be good parents without also sucking all the joy out of childhood.

Last edited by Niftybergin; 05-17-2009 at 10:37 PM..

Old 05-18-2009, 06:03 AM

4,507 posts, read 7,824,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyhoneychurch View Post
Just out of curiosity, where do people live where field trips cost over $20? The most I think I have ever paid is about $8 (usually cost of admission or maybe a transportation fee). What kind of trips are these that cost $30 or $60? Is this public school or private?
Public school. Our middle school usually charters buses even for trips in town. The transportation charge is $20+. IF they use school buses the charge is $10 but most of the field trips come in at $30-$50 including money for lunch.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:13 AM

758 posts, read 1,594,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyhoneychurch View Post

We pay quite a bit for field trips and we are in public schools. I guess transportation is probably the most expensive part of it. Also I think that the school is not paying any cost toward trips anymore because they don't have the money. So the burden falls to us.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:14 AM

3,084 posts, read 6,464,939 times
I'm in Fort Worth Texas and the only time we've ever had to pay over about $10 was last year when my third daughter was in 4th grade. They study Texas history in 4th grade and a company has put together a terrific trip to the state capitol in Austin that is available in different packages to schools all over the state.

Austin is about a 3 hour drive from here and the trip was from 7 AM until 8 PM. Our $30 fee was only part of the cost, the rest was offset by the PTA. It covered the charter buses (not school buses), dinner before the trip home (we provided sack lunch) and admission to a museum there. They also had directors from the company in charge of the trip that may or may not be paid positions and they each received a t-shirt, water bottle and information package from that company as well. I'd say that was $30 was a great deal!

My son's Kindergarten class just took a field trip to a nearby Nature Center which cost on the higher end of $10.50. That covered the transportation and admittance into the center which provided a personal guide and instructor for the group. They got some hands on instruction and a hike on the trails as well.

There are typically 2 trips a year and most all of them are very educational ones. I've never had a problem with any they've taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or