U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 05:02 PM

1,025 posts, read 965,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
That's very nice. I know a few teachers who would pay out of their pocket to to do the same thing - its really nice that your school acknowledges this and gives parents an opportunity to help out.
I know a few teachers who wouldn't hesitate to do this as well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 06:12 PM

202 posts, read 626,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
I would assume they are (included in the budget)- I attended the same school system as a child and never had to pay to go on a field trip (except for our Senior Trip, but that's not really such a field trip... and we, as a class, fundraised for 6 years to earn the money..I went through the system before they started taking the 8th graders to Boston, so I don't don't if they have to pay some or not..) This is a very small school system- my son's entire grade has only 17 kids, so I am sure that it costs much less to take them on a field trip than it would in a larger school.
Thank you for responding. It's interesting to learn how things are handled elsewhere.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:05 PM

12,256 posts, read 15,807,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
A group of ladies were talking and one of them was angry at the local school her son went to. She said learning was in the class room and she was tired of all the field trips that the kids were being sent on. She said that if a permission slip came in asking if her son could go on a school sponsored field trip, she always refused to sign.

As a parent she did not believe that the kids should be gallivanting around the town and wasting valuable instruction time on all these silly field trips. What do you think of her hard edged response?
Her response was a little weird, My son isn't old enough for field trips yet but I remember from my school days that most of them were a waste of time and the best part was riding the bus to get where ever we were going.

Kennedy Space Center was boring - we didn't go during a launch so we basically just walked around looking at the stuff we'd been looking at pictures of for weeks. The zoo was always neat but the only time I learned anything was when the teacher had given us an assignment to do while we were there - otherwise we were just walking around looking at the animals. Went to DC in high school, biggest water of time. We zoomed from one monument to the next - standing in line forever to do nothing. Only thing I remember was how disappointed I was that the pond from Forest Gump had dead fish in it. Best field trip I ever went on was the balloon fiesta in Albuquerque, NM. That was 3rd grade and I remember every detail of that trip but I had an awesome teacher. I'll probably let my son participate, but I'll chaperon as much as possible.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:49 PM

7,136 posts, read 10,686,688 times
Quote:
A group of ladies were talking and one of them was angry at the local school her son went to. She said learning was in the class room and she was tired of all the field trips that the kids were being sent on. She said that if a permission slip came in asking if her son could go on a school sponsored field trip, she always refused to sign.

As a parent she did not believe that the kids should be gallivanting around the town and wasting valuable instruction time on all these silly field trips. What do you think of her hard edged response?
I find it very strange. In thirty years of teaching I've only had this happen with one student. I know it wasn't due to finances because the PTA pays for our field trips. It wasn't due to boredom because our field trips are really good, they are always tied into the curriculum we're teaching, and the kids love them. There was no medical condition or disability involved and it wasn't a religious issue. Each teacher, K-4, who had this student got the same weird vibe that I did when he didn't go on the field trips. We talked about it and the only thing we could come up with was that his mom just couldn't let go - she wouldn't let him ride the bus to and from school, she came to school and packed up his backpack at the end of each day and every morning, she didn't make him do his homework, she'd let him stay home when he didn't want to come to school, he wasn't responsible for anything, and if there was an issue it was the school's fault. It was/is a very strange situation and I truly worry about that child.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:56 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,428,107 times
Quote:

ridiculous if you ask me. With all the budget cuts lately, I don't know of anyone complaining that their kid goes on too many field trips. My kid hasn't gone on more than two in a year. Granted he's only in 2nd grade.

If he was going on two field trips a month, perhaps I'd feel differently.

Did this lady have a problem with fees for the trips by any chance?

Old 05-19-2009, 04:18 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,188,943 times
Quote:

What do I think? I think there are some mean spirited parents who squash the joy out of their children.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:07 AM

433 posts, read 1,540,756 times
This is a topic I have brought up many times in the past few years. I would never deny my child the experience but these days there are way too many field trips. I think they are fun and they are exciting and a break from the school day but do they really need to go to the Ice Capades? When I was in school we went on one field trip a year and it was to an educational place like a museum. My first grader has been on 5 or 6 trips this year. A little too much.

If you don't let your child go then where does your child go for the day? Do you keep them home? If you send them to school anyway they will sit in the office all day or end up in another classroom full of kids they don't know. I agree the trips are getting to be too much but I feel bad for the kid who can't go. I would never deny my child having fun with his friends and having a new experience.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:52 AM

3,647 posts, read 9,325,516 times
When I was in the 4th grade, I was in a classroom with monthly field trips - great teacher. My mother would think up reasons that I couldn't go on them, but mostly I think it was the cost for her. Anyway, I would have to sit at a desk outside someone else's classroom during the field trip for the entire day, or in the library, quietly reading. Almost all our lessons revolved around the field trips.

Yet no one noticed that my grades went from straight As to Cs and Ds from that point on? Nope, I was labeled as "unmotivated"... never occurred to anyone that I basically missed an entire year of school? I was already "different" as my parents sacrificed everything to raise us in a town they couldn't afford to live in. This just made me more of an outcast. It's just not something you "get over".

Not to mention the teasing and harassment from the other kids...

Old 05-20-2009, 11:19 AM

433 posts, read 1,540,756 times
In our current district and the previous one we were in no child was denied going on the trip if they couldn't afford it. The school would pay. I think that is great. No child should be left out because of money.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:25 AM

1,455 posts, read 3,498,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
I remember going on field trips when I was in school. As my family never went on vacation or anywhere for that matter due to financial reasons, i was able to experience, museums, parks, the opera, art galleries, zoos and amusement parks. Thank God for field trips.
I think if a field trip would be counter productive to a families beliefs, it should be skipped. However, that being said, isn't this mother concerned that the only thing her child is going to learn from being denied this experience with his peers is resentment against her? How are his peers going to look at him?
This is exactly what I was thinking.

My family did do all of these things (as I do w/mine now), and it added so much to what I know about the world. We went to zoos often, nature reserves, neighborhood historical societies, cultural events, ect. I grew up on LI and know soooo many people who have never been to the Statue of Liberty or Ellis Island (where we found ancestor's names), Penn Station, NY subways, Montauk Point. I think you NEED to go to these regional places to know what shaped your community.

Then there are places that even out-going families aren't going to take their kids, which are invaluable experiences. Like touring the bank or a factory. Going to the police station and fire station, finding out how they opperate in the community. Spending an hour or two in the court room. Visiting dentist or hospitals and getting a behind-the-view. Hearing proffessionals tell about what they do, how they chose their field, ect.

I do understand the idea that schools don't always use our children's time productively, but I don't understand parents thinking that they know everything their children's education should be comprised of...I mean, the more we know, the more sources we have, the better off we are going to be!

As for finances, I do think that all students should be included in feild trips. In another state we lived in the PTA picked up the tab for any children who's family did not pay for them. Here our school sends home a request for the funds...it is not mandatory. I try to always pay an extra $2-3 to help cover any non-paying kids because I appreciate our school seeking out valuable opportunities for my children to have a learning experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or