U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2009, 08:32 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,761,562 times
Reputation: 22163

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
The I blame the begining of it on the Beatles, who with their music...
Plus -- they did write and sing that song "Happiness is a Warm Gun".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2009, 09:08 AM
 
2,893 posts, read 5,170,409 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
My a$$. Grow up. My stance on gun control is the same as it has been. But don't BS me. You don't want to face it because of the implications. Its a line that if you mentally crossed would destroy your credibility.

Your teaching a child to kill. People don't buy guns for watermelons. And every time there is a story with a gun it is not about you. The only person that is emotional is you.
So, what are you saying is that when that giant of a man approached my car and began punching me in the face, and I placed my hand on my gun, and he jumped in his car and sped away, I actually killed him!

What you're saying is that when three young men ripped the air-conditioner out of my grandmother's window while she was home, and she came out of her bedroom pointing a .38 pistol at them, and they dove out of the window to get away from her, she actually killed them!

What you're saying is that when someone began jiggling the door handle of my friend's apartment late one night, and he cocked his pump shotgun to warn them away, he actually killed them!

Really?

I am teaching my children to shoot. Yes. Shooting *may* be used to wound or kill. But here's the funny thing. I've been *shooting* for decades, but I've never *killed* a single thing. I'm not a hunter. I *could* use my shooting skills to kill, but so far, I've never needed or wanted to.

How does that bit of reality fit into your world view?


Gun-haters should probably *not* click here!

Last edited by scarmig; 06-18-2009 at 09:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2009, 09:45 AM
 
3,566 posts, read 4,494,753 times
Reputation: 1846
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
So, what are you saying is that when that giant of a man approached my car and began punching me in the face, and I placed my hand on my gun, and he jumped in his car and sped away, I actually killed him!

What you're saying is that when three young men ripped the air-conditioner out of my grandmother's window while she was home, and she came out of her bedroom pointing a .38 pistol at them, and they dove out of the window to get away from her, she actually killed them!

What you're saying is that when someone began jiggling the door handle of my friend's apartment late one night, and he cocked his pump shotgun to warn them away, he actually killed them!

Really?

I am teaching my children to shoot. Yes. Shooting *may* be used to wound or kill. But here's the funny thing. I've been *shooting* for decades, but I've never *killed* a single thing. I'm not a hunter. I *could* use my shooting skills to kill, but so far, I've never needed or wanted to.

How does that bit of reality fit into your world view?


Gun-haters should probably *not* click here!
No, I said your training a child to kill. Is that hard for you? I'm not a gun hater-I am, now, 100% you need a license to breed advocate. I'm not clicking on anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2009, 09:49 AM
 
2,893 posts, read 5,170,409 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
No, I said your training a child to kill. Is that hard for you? I'm not a gun hater-I am, now, 100% you need a license to breed advocate. I'm not clicking on anything.

How hard is it for you to distinguish the difference between shooting and killing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2009, 09:50 AM
 
3,566 posts, read 4,494,753 times
Reputation: 1846
How hard is it for you to get your training a child to kill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2009, 10:03 AM
 
2,893 posts, read 5,170,409 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
How hard is it for you to get your training a child to kill?

What's wrong with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2009, 10:31 AM
 
3,566 posts, read 4,494,753 times
Reputation: 1846
Now, that we are all clear on: you are exactly what you are.

Because it is the mind of a child. That hopefully has a normal IQ. Therefore, she thinks with the mind of a child. She reacts with the mind of a child. And she will not have any real concept of time until at least the age of 21. Why? A piece of the brain has yet to form.

A child that has not yet reached the ability to think in abstract terms.


And for all of your self defense bs and education and training bs, your not one iota better than the adults with kids in the street. No better then the G'ma with the gun beside her bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2009, 10:39 AM
 
Location: NW. MO.
1,817 posts, read 5,773,864 times
Reputation: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by beverlysmithscott View Post
Whomever she was living with needs to be arrested and lose cutody of all the children in their possession. This is clearly neglect of parental duties. Who leaves weapon unsecured? Who leaves children unsupervised long enough to obtain unsecured weapons? There were always guns in the home that I grew up in, but they were always secured and I knew what the consequences were of trying to get my hands on one.
I lived in a home with guns, they were not secured and I knew better than to touch them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2009, 10:45 AM
 
2,893 posts, read 5,170,409 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Now, that we are all clear on: you are exactly what you are.

Because it is the mind of a child. That hopefully has a normal IQ. Therefore, she thinks with the mind of a child. She reacts with the mind of a child. And she will not have any real concept of time until at least the age of 21. Why? A piece of the brain has yet to form.

A child that has not yet reached the ability to think in abstract terms.
That explains why my daughter can do multipication and division in her head at age 6, because she has no ability to abstract.

Quote:
And for all of your self defense bs and education and training bs, your not one iota better than the adults with kids in the street. No better then the G'ma with the gun beside her bed.
My grandma with a gun beside her bed drove off three able-bodied burglars single-handedly!.

How you can possibly consider that a bad thing is beyond me.

And don't forget that I have refuted your utterly ridiculous claim that defense with a firearm requires killing anyone.

I'd also like to point out that teaching kids to shoot is far different than gangbangers roaming the streets popping caps for drugs. You seem to be one of those people who believes that the tool cannot ever be used responsibly. I shot rifles in the Boy Scouts. My wife shot rifles in our high-school basement for ROTC. My father was hunting before he was a teen-ager, and his father from the moment he was old enough to pick up a gun, and none of us has ever shot a human being outside of war.

I will reiterate again, that, just like *any* skill, shooting can be used to kill, or to aid, for good or evil, depending on the person. Learning to cook can be a lethal skill. Learning to drive can be a lethal skill. Learning to have sex can be lethal. Learning to jump, run, climb, throw rocks, or swing a baseball bat can all be lethal skills.

Yours is the utterly irrational position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2009, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Cody, WY
9,196 posts, read 10,155,870 times
Reputation: 18306
A thirteen year old boy in Oklahoma was home with his younger sister. A man broke into their house. They yelled, but the man didn't leave; he came after them. They ran into their parents' bedroom. The man tried to break down the door. The boy shot and killed him with his parents' .357 magnum.

A twelve year old boy in a Chicago high rise housing project picked up a seven year old, held him by his feet from a window, then dropped him to his death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top