Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:20 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
That explains why my daughter can do multipication and division in her head at age 6, because she has no ability to abstract.

My grandma with a gun beside her bed drove off three able-bodied burglars single-handedly!.

How you can possibly consider that a bad thing is beyond me.

And don't forget that I have refuted your utterly ridiculous claim that defense with a firearm requires killing anyone.

I'd also like to point out that teaching kids to shoot is far different than gangbangers roaming the streets popping caps for drugs. You seem to be one of those people who believes that the tool cannot ever be used responsibly. I shot rifles in the Boy Scouts. My wife shot rifles in our high-school basement for ROTC. My father was hunting before he was a teen-ager, and his father from the moment he was old enough to pick up a gun, and none of us has ever shot a human being outside of war.

I will reiterate again, that, just like *any* skill, shooting can be used to kill, or to aid, for good or evil, depending on the person. Learning to cook can be a lethal skill. Learning to drive can be a lethal skill. Learning to have sex can be lethal. Learning to jump, run, climb, throw rocks, or swing a baseball bat can all be lethal skills.

Yours is the utterly irrational position.

Your teaching a child to kill, you can hope that doesn't happen, but that is why you are doing it. Unless you would like to go back and retract about a half a bunch of other posts.

Using or claiming your own personal experience does not negate the fact. That is what guns are for. Again, people don't buy guns to nail watermelons. You did not refute anything. The only argument that you seem to use is your personal experience. And your justification is the self-defense crap. Which you seem to have had a hell of a time dealing with death as it is. But have no problem training a child to kill.

And if I click on the link the odds are that I will hit stats supplied by the NRA and IF those are same ones that I hit on the GD board, I already blew those out of the water. Not to mention that I did that and I'm not anti-gun. I'm anti-ignorant. K? I can play personal experience, as well, and mine will win hands down. Because its mine.

Get real. You are training your daughter to kill because you want to. Not for any sanctimonious reason. Pontificate all you want. That is exactly what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 10:45 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,929,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Your teaching a child to kill, you can hope that doesn't happen, but that is why you are doing it. Unless you would like to go back and retract about a half a bunch of other posts.

Using or claiming your own personal experience does not negate the fact. That is what guns are for. Again, people don't buy guns to nail watermelons. You did not refute anything. The only argument that you seem to use is your personal experience. And your justification is the self-defense crap. Which you seem to have had a hell of a time dealing with death as it is. But have no problem training a child to kill.

And if I click on the link the odds are that I will hit stats supplied by the NRA and IF those are same ones that I hit on the GD board, I already blew those out of the water. Not to mention that I did that and I'm not anti-gun. I'm anti-ignorant. K? I can play personal experience, as well, and mine will win hands down. Because its mine.

Get real. You are training your daughter to kill because you want to. Not for any sanctimonious reason. Pontificate all you want. That is exactly what it is.

You think self-defense is crap.

Your words.

Don't throw any death guilt at me, when it is you who would prefer people die than have the means to protect themselves.

And no, the link doesn't have a single stat.

And no, shooting does not equate to killing. That is an irrational, illogical conclusion. The very instant even one person shoots a gun without killing someone, that conclusion is invalid.

I happen to think that killing someone who is trying to rob, rape, injure or murder me and mine is a-okay.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
You think self-defense is crap.

Your words.

Don't throw any death guilt at me, when it is you who would prefer people die than have the means to protect themselves.

And no, the link doesn't have a single stat.

And no, shooting does not equate to killing. That is an irrational, illogical conclusion. The very instant even one person shoots a gun without killing someone, that conclusion is invalid.

I happen to think that killing someone who is trying to rob, rape, injure or murder me and mine is a-okay.
I'm not throwing any guilt on you. You are what you are. If you feel guilty you might need to check yourself.

I think your line of reasoning is crap. There is a difference.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I'm not throwing any guilt on you. You are what you are. If you feel guilty you might need to check yourself.

I think your line of reasoning is crap. There is a difference.
I have defended myself with a firearm, yet never fired at shot at a person.

You think learning to shoot equals killing people.

Who has the more unsound logic?

Great thing is, if you don't want to shoot, don't. No one is forcing you. Just leave me and mine alone to make the choices that are right for us, regardless of whether you agree with them or not.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:46 AM

Look, brains, I do shoot. I think training a child to kill means that you do not win a cookie for parenting skills. K?

You don't want to worry about someone cracking on your parenting skills then don't make every issue with a gun about you. Got it? Because the world does not revolve around you and your right.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Look, brains, I do shoot. I think training a child to kill means that you do not win a cookie for parenting skills. K?

You don't want to worry about someone cracking on your parenting skills then don't make every issue with a gun about you. Got it? Because the world does not revolve around you and your right.
I'm certainly not worried about you (nor anyone else) judging my parenting skills. I didn't come here to get gold stars and didn't jump on this thread to do anything more than suggest a better target for blame. Some people are so booga-booga about firearms it's almost like an anti-religion. You certainly haven't offered much to clarify what your actual position is. The idea that you shoot doesn't compute with the information you've provided in this thread.

And yes, my world does indeed revolve around me and my family. why wouldn't it? They are my first and foremost responsibility.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I'm certainly not worried about you (nor anyone else) judging my parenting skills. I didn't come here to get gold stars and didn't jump on this thread to do anything more than suggest a better target for blame. Some people are so booga-booga about firearms it's almost like an anti-religion. You certainly haven't offered much to clarify what your actual position is. The idea that you shoot doesn't compute with the information you've provided in this thread.

And yes, my world does indeed revolve around me and my family. why wouldn't it? They are my first and foremost responsibility.
The only booga-booga I see going on is from you. I have stated my stance and not once did I have to drag my grandmother out. I am not anti-gun, I am anti-ignorant. And if this does not compute with you then you may need to reboot.

Again, not every incident that involves a gun is about you and your right.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
The only booga-booga I see going on is from you. I have stated my stance and not once did I have to drag my grandmother out. I am not anti-gun, I am anti-ignorant. And if this does not compute with you then you may need to reboot.

Again, not every incident that involves a gun is about you and your right.
Do you understand why I presented three different cases of self-defense using a firearm that did not result in any death what-so-ever? Can you compute that the reason I brought out those three examples is to disprove your asinine claim that knowing how to use a firearm automatically equals killing someone?

Do you fathom that when you say "that self-defense crap", you are also saying you believe my grandmother *should have been burgled, beaten, or worse*, that my friend should have been burgled, and that I should have been hospitalized rather than defend ourselves?

Do you not comprehend that while killing someone is not something any reasonable, peaceful person wants to do, sometimes it may be necessary?

Are you not able to understand the difference between wanting to kill and the capability to kill?

And what an incredible over-reaction is it to suggest that by teaching my children skills that will benefit them the rest of their lives, I should not be allowed to have children. What kind of fear and terror drives a person to make statements like that?

Since you are a "shooter", I presume you know the many skills learned through effective shooting training. Things such as breath control, patience, rhythm, trajectory, form, consistency, follow-through and discipline. All of those needed to put projectile on target, and all of them useful in daily life.

Not everyone has the same priorities or phobias as you. Not every incident that involves a gun requires your interference.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:52 PM

What we are looking at is what is known as the executive functions of the prefrontal cortex. These, by the way, are what is called objective.

Quote:
Everyday, real-world indices of executive function clearly continue to develop in late adolescence and early adulthood. This is reflected, to some extent, in the relatively high rates of accidents and violent crimes, including homicide and suicide, that occur during this developmental period. It is with good reason that many rental-car companies refuse to rent cars to anyone under the age of 25 years: adults below this age are an unacceptable insurance risk
Found here.
Quote:

It's because a teenager's prefrontal cortex — the brain's center for moderation, impulse-control and the understanding of consequences — is still under construction. Simultaneously the body's hormones — which Walsh calls the accelerator center of the brain — are surging.
"The prefrontal cortex is supposed to harness the accelerator center of the brain, but the impulse-control center is under construction," said Walsh. "This is the reason teens are impulsive, risk-taking, quick to anger. The acceleration center of the brain is in high gear, while the brakes are on back order."
In addition, Walsh said, the adolescent brain processes visual stimuli or body language differently than grown-ups do. In a study that asked adults and teens to interpret facial expressions, adults were more likely to correctly identify emotions, while adolescents often mistook fear or surprise for anger.
The study further showed, Walsh says, that adults rely on their prefrontal cortex to interpret facial expressions, while adolescents rely on the amygdala, in the anterior portion of the temporal lobe.
Found here.

Quote:
In addition, the basic survival drives of the hypothalamus don't always agree with the social structure, morals and safety of society. For the more "civilized" human behaviors we need to involve higher regions of the brain. Higher brain regions, in the cortex, can over-ride the hypothalamus. Although these regions are not given biological priority, they are the "logical" parts of the brain and are responsible for deciding when basic hypothalamus drives may not be in our best long-term interest.
A region called the prefrontal cortex plays the role of arbitrator in making these critical decisions. It quickly sizes up the situation and makes a determination which then drives our behavior. It is the prefrontal cortex then that tells us when to act on our anger, or curtail it, eat that second piece of dessert, or go without, seek immediate gratification or hold off for the long term.
Found here.

The examples that you gave me are called subjective AKA asinine.

This is why. Do you wanna keep going to see who has the last word?

Old 06-19-2009, 01:34 PM

I noticed that I posted six questions pointing out the flaws in your so-called logic and you simply ignored them.

And here's the last word:

Those are all aspects of a _teen-age_ brain. I'm sure you recognize that the formative years of a person that make the foundation of checks and abilities and reason that help a teenager control and survive the transition into adult-hood are learned many years before puberty.

Imagine, just imagine a child who has a grounding foundation of ability and reason as a cornerstone of their behavioral matrix that is not dismissive of their ability to recognize and handle high-responsibility situations and abilities, but actually embraces them! So that when they go crazy in the teen years, they have that anchor to draw on. They have that respect, expectation of trust, and that core training that is second nature. I do not suggest that all teenagers all the time have access to any firearm. I suggest that access should be given, by the guardians, based on proven ability and trust. Since a teenager goes brain crazy from puberty, it might be prudent to remove access to firearms should a teenager's craziness override their ability to handle the firearm safely and appropriately.

As you so aptly pointed out, teenage brains are different child brains or adult brains. A child's brain is open and receptive to building those foundational behavioral control mechanisms. It is how they learn to stop throwing tantrums. How they learn etiquette. How they weigh risk versus reward. It's how looking both ways before crossing the street becomes second nature. It is only appropriate and smart to teach a child good firearm safety habits and control while their brains and bodies are *most* receptive to that training so that it is second nature and as strong as possible in preparation for the transition to adulthood so that they will be responsible and capable shooters their whole lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting