Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 09:04 AM

4 posts, read 6,867 times

Advertisements

I have a 10 month old son who is currently eating the number 2 size baby food for lunch and dinner. He eats number 3 size baby food for breakfast. I have just introduced the 3 size vegs and dinners. He does well with those and likes them a lot. However he does not want to eat his breakfast he wants what I am having which is usually a bagel. Any advice as to what I should substitue for his baby food in the mornings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 09:16 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,789,281 times
First, I'd suggest a parenting forum instead of this one for parenting questions. Curious, what made you decide to post here?

But to answer your question, at 10 months old, you can give your baby a teething biscuit or toast, which would probably satisfy his desire for your bagel. You can even toast a bagel. If it's toasted thoroughly it will dissolve in his mouth and won't pose a choking hazard.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:49 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,424,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMom View Post
I have a 10 month old son who is currently eating the number 2 size baby food for lunch and dinner. He eats number 3 size baby food for breakfast. I have just introduced the 3 size vegs and dinners. He does well with those and likes them a lot. However he does not want to eat his breakfast he wants what I am having which is usually a bagel. Any advice as to what I should substitue for his baby food in the mornings.

First-time mom, huh? Say it ain't so!

Baby cereal would be a good choice for first meal of the day, nutritious, I wouldn't say quite tasty (for adults' taste), and filling (babies eat every three hours or so anyway). And milk. Or banana. It "coats" his stomach (an apple (acidic) would give him stomach gurgles), and the vitamins are absorbed better too. In fact it is recomended we eat our fruits on "empty" stomach (snacks, between meals), not at the end of a meal, as desserts, because the nutrients are better absorbed this way, rather than thru the sludge our food becomes once ingested.

Really, by this time, they can eat almost anything with a few good exceptions, and common sense.
Exceptions- wheat -around 8-10 months
- tomato, orange, cow's milk after 12 months
- peanut butter, honey - after 24 months

Common sense - if you wouldn't eat it yourself, don't give it to baby either, or if it's bad for you, it sure is for baby too: fish is good yes, but you wouldn't serve him sushi or sword fish, fruits are good yes, but wouldn't give him exotic fruits (e.g.star fruit), some meats are ok (chicken breast, beef), but I wouldn't throw a porkchop on his plate. Nor deep fried anything, or sugar, salt-laden anything.

He can have at that plain bagel, but i would say he'd have a chewing problem (the bagels are not very airy, and easy to bite/chew on for a 10 month old)

Last edited by friday13; 05-18-2009 at 10:01 AM..

Old 05-18-2009, 10:49 AM

I had seen a thread by another mother with a similar question to mine. That's why I posted here. Yes I am a first time mom. I know what not to give my son to eat, that's pretty much a given. We don't give him table food to eat unless it's mashed up veggies. Never meats or sauces, etc. He does not like baby cereal and has not eaten it since he was about 5 months old. And now he is not interested in his normal breakfast. The bagel was just an example. He has little fruit snacks, but they mostly end up on the floor. I just want to give him something that he will like and be nutrious for him.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:22 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMom View Post
I'm 47 and I eat fruit and toast for breakfast.

Usually I have leftovers for lunch.

My first concert was Jethro Tull at the Long Beach arena.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:20 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,287,508 times
How about oatmeal (thinned down) or soft scrambled eggs. For finger foods I sometimes cut bread in strips and llightly toast it in the oven. This makes chewing easier. Our girl also likes the spy puddings and yogurt. Also, Cheerios. When all else fails Cheerios to the rescue.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:22 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,287,508 times
I noticed I have a typeo. I meant soy puddings and yogurt instead of spy.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:51 AM

Thanks for the idea's. I tried soft scrambled egss and he was not into them. He likes cheerios. I never thought about pudding or yougurt. Again thanks for the comments. Really appreciate them.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:56 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,903,644 times
How about yogurt with cheerios? One of my husband's coworkers did this for their toddler so he could feed himself cereal without making a huge mess (and that is relative because I have seen what my kids can do with yogurt).

My almost 2-year old usually eats a banana, a cup of rice milk (can't have milk protein) or juice, and some dry cereal for breakfast.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:32 AM

That's great idea. I wished I could get my 10 month old to drink out of a sippy cup. He want's nothing to do with it. I offer it and he either chews on it or throws on the floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting