U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 02:22 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,469,438 times

Advertisements

My sister wanted to be a boy all the time she was little. She wouldn't answer to anything but Bill, she didn't want to wear anything but boy clothes, she played baseball as well as the boys, she knew every baseball player on every team for years, she cut her hair short and climbed trees. In high school she became very feminine, went to college, got married and has four adult children and 4 grandchildren.

It is horribly confusing for a parent to actually encourage gender change for someone so young. It should be left for 10 more years before ANY kind of decision is made for change. That boy will grow out of it and his life will be crap by the time he reaches middle or high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 02:35 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,248,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post

I hope this thread gets shut down if the ignorant gay/transgender bashing starts/continues. No one has any right to say this child does not know. It is a fact that these people grow up to be adults with many psychological difficulties because others including their parents told them that what they were feeling was not real. This is not LEARNED.
No one is bashing the child until you suggested it was being done or was about to start or whatever.

It called an opinion & something that under the United States Constitution we are allowed to have in this country. And we have the right to say what we want as long as it doesn't violate the TOS on this site

Your opinon is your opinion. To be one who is supposedly so open-minded & holistic in nature, you should also be willing to accept other's opinions. Yours is no less or more valid than any other persons.

The parent chose to broadcast this situation.

Don't want people commenting on it, don't do a televison interview. Pretty simple.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:39 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,469,438 times
121804, Tried to rep you on your post, but have to spread the love. I agree with you.

Imagine that boy's psychological state when he starts to get the natural boy curiosity about girls but he's dressed as a girl and uses the girl's bathroom. What a mess that will create.

It is unbelievable that a parent will destroy their own child like that. And that lunatic doctor should be put behind bars to advocate that in such young children.

Last edited by stormy night; 05-19-2009 at 03:36 PM..

Old 05-19-2009, 05:10 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,078,551 times
Here is what i posted in the other thread about the same story...

i dont think they should be raised as a girl, but they should be allowed to act as they feel... to a certain extent.

it can be very dangerous. and because of that i would limit or negotiate my childs behaviour in order to protect them.

otherwise, boys wanting girl stuff is not new. its just that now people are semi-ready to discuss it.

usually not rationally or maturely.

i will also add:

no horomones or surgery or irrevocable treatments. that would be crazy.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:21 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,581,294 times
I think this is a shame on a few levels.
First, it shouldn't be in the news. This is a families private business.
Second, since it is in the news, I will give my opinion. I think it is terrible the parents are allowing an 8 year old to make life changing decisions. At 8 years old the hardest decision a child should be making is Do I play baseball this season? Do I have desert after dinner? Do I talk to Suzy/Jane/Mary during lunch recess? Kids lives at this age is hard enough without throwing in sexual identity crisis. Second or third grade, possibly fourth grade... all I know about is girls but I can tell you it is a hard time and it just keeps getting rougher. Like someone else pointed out, what happens when he does start getting interested in girls..and he is dressed like one? What happens if he starts to be interested in boys..and he is one?? In all reality I think I would prefer the second.

BTW, my 12 year old said... That's bizarre. Bizarre is her new word of the week.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:45 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,658,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
No one is bashing the child until you suggested it was being done or was about to start or whatever.

It called an opinion & something that under the United States Constitution we are allowed to have in this country. And we have the right to say what we want as long as it doesn't violate the TOS on this site

Your opinon is your opinion. To be one who is supposedly so open-minded & holistic in nature, you should also be willing to accept other's opinions. Yours is no less or more valid than any other persons.

The parent chose to broadcast this situation.

Don't want people commenting on it, don't do a televison interview. Pretty simple.

I never was close-minded. I was angry that some are and I thought this thread was going to take a bad turn.

Go ahead and make comments but some of you know little to nothing about these situations. I can almost guarentee that this this little GIRL will have LESS problems the way her parents are dealing with this as of right now than she would if they did not let her express herself! Transgender people almost always grow up with no support and waste a good part of their lives living in fear that no one will ever accept them, hating who they are on the outside because of what they KNOW they are on the inside and having mutltiple mental and emotional disorders.

My friend does electrolysis for the transgender community in the city. I have met many and have a few personal friends as well. ALL of them knew as young as 5 years old that they were different and all agree life would have been much better all around if they had the support as a child! Some have tried to kill themselves (as young as 11), some have had drug problems, some ran away and many I repeat MANY sold their bodies in one way or another. Almost all are in therapy. I know (not as personal) that had parents who sent him to therapy at 6 years old and FINALLY at 13 accepted him and allowed him to live as a male in any way he pleased!

Still agree (after thinking about it and changing my mind) that the mother should have hidden her face BUT it is obvious she had no intention of hurting her child. She asked that even if you don't agree or accept what her DAUGHTER IS just don't "be mean." That is all that she acts. I also agree with another poster that the child should NOT be allowed to undergo any medical/hormone procedures until SHE is at least 18 and can make the decision for herself and ONLY herself.

We aren't all going to agree with this situation but we HAVE to accept ALL people the way they are.

I believe the child was in some sort of religious school too? I agree with their choice to not allow the child to attend as a GIRL since she is not biological. They have the right as a private facility. But kindess should always be part of the relaying of the decision.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:43 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,511,564 times
I don't think it's a phase, and I'm glad the child has supportive parents.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:40 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,248,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
we HAVE to accept ALL people the way they are.
No, we don't.

As much as love, peace & nature are all nice & dandy...sorry, ain't the way the world works.

People can be & are mean, cruel, & unfair. Especially children. How you respond to them & handle the situation gets you through life, not telling them that they "have to" accept you.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:55 PM

650 posts, read 1,927,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
What a monumental mistake this parent is making. A LOT of kids wish they were the opposite sex for one reason or another. Girls can be fierce tomboys growing up, and wonderful, feminine ladies going into adulthood. Boys can show a feminine side all through childhood, then be strong, virile men in adulthood. It's normal.

Kids who are allowed to actually become the opposite sex confuses them and sets them up for huge psychological problems in late teen, early adult years.

A parent should never, ever take a child's wish to be someone else seriously until that child reaches late teens. What a mess that mother is making of her son's life.
This exactly! I don't even have anything else to add...

Old 05-20-2009, 08:33 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,658,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
This exactly! I don't even have anything else to add...

So I was talking to the electrolysis lady who is actually attending a transgender convention. She is the vice president of a Chicago chapter of the Trans Support something or other. I told her about some of the posts on here and she thought it typical of those who know nothing about these people. And no, it is not simply wanting to be the other sex or being a tomboy or a little feminine. And yes, she knows many if not close to all the transgenders she has met that would not have many if not any of the identity issues and mental and emotional issues they have today if their parents and those around them accepted them early on. This is not something that goes away. This is not a simple case. This is a child who drew HERSELF as a female, who tells friends she's different on the inside, who speaks with such honesty and understanding of who SHE is more than many adults can and/or ever will.

This is not cut and dry. Like I said before, if you know nothing about transgenders and how EARLY they KNOW they are different, you cannot say this parent and the child are wrong.

I speak with facts and you are speaking out of opinion. I respect the opinion but this situation HAS fact and must be looked at from the FACTS.

This is a website my friend asked me to share.

http://www.helpstartshere.org/Default.aspx?PageID=1114 (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or