Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:35 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,376 times

Advertisements

I think I saw a show about this on Oprah several months ago. She had some transgendered people who as children decided to live as "their true selves". The confusing part was that when they grew into adulthood these people reverted back to their natural born selves. It was confusing for me to watch. But for example, a little girl felt she was really a boy. She grows into adolescence and now wants a sex change operation. She gets it done, and now lives as a man. A man who is attracted to other men! So fast forward several years later and this "man" now regrets getting the sex change operation and wishes "he" still had female parts! Very confusing but interesting all the same. Now, if it was MY child I would calmly explain that he/she is not done growing up yet, and when that time comes you can make a decision of how you want to live your life. But until then you are a girl (boy). This would be done in a loving way of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 12:53 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
I think I saw a show about this on Oprah several months ago. She had some transgendered people who as children decided to live as "their true selves". The confusing part was that when they grew into adulthood these people reverted back to their natural born selves. It was confusing for me to watch. But for example, a little girl felt she was really a boy. She grows into adolescence and now wants a sex change operation. She gets it done, and now lives as a man. A man who is attracted to other men! So fast forward several years later and this "man" now regrets getting the sex change operation and wishes "he" still had female parts! Very confusing but interesting all the same. Now, if it was MY child I would calmly explain that he/she is not done growing up yet, and when that time comes you can make a decision of how you want to live your life. But until then you are a girl (boy). This would be done in a loving way of course.

That is why no drugs or hormone therapy should be used until the child is an adult.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:57 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Polycystic ovary syndrome: Symptoms - MayoClinic.com
Signs of excess androgen. Elevated levels of male hormones..

This is how it pertains to girls, and it is similar with boys. When it is a biological problem, and treated with hormone therapy it can be balanced. Why is that so difficult to understand.
Now we have entered territory in which I am more than a little bit knowledgeable. I have PCOS. It is not the same thing, not at all. The elevated androgen levels in PCOS occur in adulthood and in no way affect one's gender identity. I am firmly aware of my gender and have never questioned it. I am 100% female.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:13 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post

Increased aggression and activity level in 3- to 11-year-old girls with congenital adrenal hyperplasia
"2. girls with CAH are more aggressive and active than their unaffected sisters; and 3. boys with and without CAH are similar to one another in aggression and activity level. These data suggest that early androgens have a masculinizing effect on both aggressive behavior and activity level in girls."

"..In addition to a masculinized appearance at birth, females with classical CAH display increases in some male-typical behaviors from early childhood. For instance, there are consistent reports that girls with the disorder show enhanced preferences for toys and activities normally preferred by boys and for boys as playmates.."

This is how it pertains to girls, and it is similar with boys. When it is a biological problem, and treated with hormone therapy it can be balanced. Why is that so difficult to understand.

Had I been the parent of a child with these tendancies (as this young boy), I would allow it to take it's course. IF it was a case of imbalanced hormone levels, I would seek medical hormone therapy to balance and correct it the levels.

There is NO WAY I would pacify my child to change identity ESPECIALLY as a minor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Now we have entered territory in which I am more than a little bit knowledgeable. I have PCOS. It is not the same thing, not at all. The elevated androgen levels in PCOS occur in adulthood and in no way affect one's gender identity. I am firmly aware of my gender and have never questioned it. I am 100% female.
You twisted my post to suit your theory. tsk tsk.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:58 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
What theory do you think I have and how exactly did I twist your post? You brought up PCOS, and I would like you to flesh out how it and GID are related. I am very interested in your perspective.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:05 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times
You don't 'grow out of' being transgendered just as you don't grow out of most medical disorders. Gender role reversal and being transgendered are not even closely related.

Oh, you're bi-polar? Ah...you will grow out of it. Just keep telling yourself you are normal and it will just pass by. Now go on and play...sweep it under the rug and supress your emotions.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:53 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Yeah, I don't agree that it's a whim or a phase. It's not a simple insistence that the kid would or would not like to wear a dress. I took Human Sexuality in college, and three transgendered people came to talk to us. All of them spoke of knowing something was wrong from a young age and the confusion and profound unhappiness they went through during adolescence. One of them hated her male body so much that she mutilated herself (himself, then--she was post-op).

This disorder can't simply be disciplined away in some cases.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:58 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Yeah, I don't agree that it's a whim or a phase. It's not a simple insistence that the kid would or would not like to wear a dress. I took Human Sexuality in college, and three transgendered people came to talk to us. All of them spoke of knowing something was wrong from a young age and the confusion and profound unhappiness they went through during adolescence. One of them hated her male body so much that she mutilated herself (himself, then--she was post-op).

This disorder can't simply be disciplined away in some cases.

Exactly...it is not your typical tomboy behavior...When you have a 2.5 year old tucking his penis between his legs because he hates it...and it encompases every aspect of his life...I think it is more then a 'phase' he will grow out of...

Old 05-21-2009, 05:22 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
Exactly...it is not your typical tomboy behavior...When you have a 2.5 year old tucking his penis between his legs because he hates it...and it encompases every aspect of his life...I think it is more then a 'phase' he will grow out of...

Good to hear some people who understand these children
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting