U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 08:33 PM

10,592 posts, read 21,392,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I can't tell you how many times a student has told me that their parents knew they were sick and sent them to school anyway because they had to work. They proceed to get sick at school, I send them to the nurse who confirms that they are sick, and then the parents are called. You'd be surprised at how many times sick kids stay at school all day because no one will come to get them. It's sad, but it's a reality.
Ya know, I get that we all have to work however even me, when I wasn't making that much money, I was able to find someone who would take care of my daughter in her home when Diane was sick. She was the Mother of a friend of mine.

It makes me sick that parents do this and lets face it, its how sickness spreads so clearly through children because parents don't have the consideration to take care of their own kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 08:46 PM

1,986 posts, read 2,329,592 times
It's pretty darned selfish when a parent sends a kid to school sick, or refuses to pick him/her up when called. Those who use schools as babysitters don't care that 60 or 100 kids or more are exposed to what they send their kids with. All they care about is making that almighty dollar instead of the welfare of their children and all other children who come in contact with theirs.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:27 PM

There were times before I found the woman to take care of my daughter that I almost got fired for staying home to take care of my daughter. BUT I refused to drug her up and send her off to school when she had something like strep which she got several times.

At the daycare my daughter used to go to, I have seen parents bring children back to school the next day after they had found lice in the childs hair. Personally I would want to keep them home a couple days to make sure I had gotten them all before I would let another child get them from my kid.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:53 PM

2,905 posts, read 4,327,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post

My daughter (1st grade) was in the nurse's office about a month ago, complaining of just not feeling well, headachey, etc...They said she had no fever and nothing was outwardly wrong, just that she looked a little tired. Told me it was up to me if I wanted to come get her. I looked at the clock, it was 10:50 (they eat lunch at 11am). Knowing my daughter usually eats about 3 bites of breakfast, I suggested that she have something to eat and drink and see how she felt afterward. I merely meant they get her lunch and let her sit and eat it there a little early, but they got her some crackers and juice or water, and then sent her off to eat lunch with the rest of the class. She bounced right back. I felt a little awkward saying I wasn't going to go get her, but to call me if she still felt bad after lunch. Turns out my judgment call was a good one.

Now, if she were vomiting, of course I would have come get her.
This reminds me of when my son learned that visiting the nurse was a sure fire ticket home.

He went to the nurse sick one day. The called me and I rushed down there to get my sick baby. I picked him up, and he then proceeded to spend the rest of the afternoon acting not-very-sick.

Next day, he didn't want to go to school, but he clearly wasn't sick so I sent him anyway. Of course then I got a call from the nurse. I was suspicious that it was an act after the performance the day before.

I asked the nurse to give him a cracker and let him lay down for 15 minutes to see if he felt better. She called back to tell me he still wanted to come home. So I went and picked him up. It was still before lunch.

I brought him home, fed him, and at the first sign of bouncing around, I put his butt back in the car. Let me tell you they were pretty surprised when I showed back up there with him. I let them know that he was feeling much better and was ready to finish out the day. The looks on their faces were priceless.

But what choice did I have?? Clearly, he was establishing a pattern and if I didn't put my foot down he would have been in the nurses office every other day.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've picked him up sick from school since.

Mind you, when he is sick, he stays home until he is better. I cannot stand it when people send their sick children to school so that they can spread whatever they have to all the other kids. So annoying. I'm so glad his school doesn't have a perfect attendance policy, that seems like it might encourage that sort of thing.

I distinctly remember from my own childhood, waiting in the entry way of my elementary school, supposedly "sick", with a huge yellow manila envelope in case I threw up, on this nice shiny long wooden bench. Well I was sliding all the way to the left, then sliding my butt all the way back to the right, holding the envelope in my teeth, entertaining myself while they sent a taxi to pick me up to bring me to my grandmother's house. the lady in the office said really sarcastically, "You look real sick!!" i was caught!! (but still went home)

Lol, I have never forgotten this and I still get a chuckle when I think of what that lady must have been thinking watching me sliding up and down the bench. Must have been sometime between 1st and 4th grade, for the school I was in.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:15 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,379,261 times
I work nights and if the school rang I probably wouldn't hear it. But they have alternative phone numbers, grandparents being one of them. The Grandparents live just up the road for the school and I know that they would be happy to collect and care for a child of mine until I was up. Obviously, if I haven't been working then I would collect my child from school. Its not fair to my child or the other children in the class or the teachers to leave my child at school when ill.
And if I know my child is ill before school - I just don't send them in. I think its cruel to make children go to school when they are genuinely ill and should be resting in bed, not rushing around working in school - spreading their germs everywhere.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:08 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,251,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I agree with you 100% and I think if the parents dont show up to get their sick child they should have cps called on them and they should be charged with neglect and thrown in jail . what kind of parents dont retrieve a sick child ? I dont understand that either .
Kind of extreme.

I do think the parents (just one) needs to come get the child. And there also needs to be an understanding (or leeway) that it may take a few minutes to get there, that SOMETIMES you can't just drop everything on a moment's notice but will do the best you can and be there ASAP (I'd say no more than an hour assuming the parent has a fair commute). Not everyone can just walk to the parking lot and off they go, some downtown areas are a bit more complicated with parking structures and traffic, etc.

Everyone just needs to be mature adults about it and rest assured its going to be resolved.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:40 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,118,496 times
Uh-oh. I'm one of those parents who don't take vomiting as serious as others. Probably becaue as a kid, I've done it too many times and felt better afterwards. Other issues do warrant an asap pickup, like diarrhea, fever, more than one hurl, head injuries, you get the picture. I've been called to pick up my children from daycare for so many false alarms, at one point the pediatrician shook his head.

Anyway, I had an issue with my daughter recently where she had an upset tummy, and I thought maybe some Maalox and going to the bathroom would do it. Both happened, and I saw no symptoms of anything further, so she went to school. Well, she vomited. But she had no fever, the school nurse said she seemed fine, and my daughter said she wanted to go back to class. The school nurse said it was okay. Oftentimes, throwing up is not a sign of some contagious illness like a stomach virus, and a child will feel better afterward. And life goes on.

But she threw up again. I bet her poor teacher was fit to be tied. I felt bad, because I was wrong. I was also an hour away from her. Her father picked her up (she threw up in the car and a few more times at the house), and then I left work early to take her to the doctor. Supposedly it was the stomach virus, and vomiting and diarrhrea were to follow. They didn't. After a little rest, she was fine and had no more problems.

So, I think she must have eaten something the night before that disagreed with her. But since she hurled a couple of times at school, she certainly couldn't stay there.

Not everything is contagious. And not every parent who may misjudge or who doesn't pick their child up immediately, is uncaring.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:26 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,251,658 times
I had an older stepkid that would get "stomach pains" every time he had homework to turn in that he didn't do or a test that he didn't study for. The nurse would call me and say he needed to be picked up. I fell for it the first few times taking off work early and then wondering why he'd miraculously feel better the moment he got home. After awhile I said I'd be there soon and just never show up unless they called again (then I'd know it was serious). But they never did and he'd show up at the house feeling fine. The nurse had sent him back to class to wait.

Sometime the kids are faking (not in the case of vomit, but..) and in his case I didn't take him seriously when he kept crying wolf just because he was trying to get out of taking a test or admitting to the teacher he hadn't done his homework. Buck up and face the music kid. If your really sick I'll come for ya, otherwise do your homework once in awhile..sheesh.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Uh-oh. I'm one of those parents who don't take vomiting as serious as others. Probably becaue as a kid, I've done it too many times and felt better afterwards. Other issues do warrant an asap pickup, like diarrhea, fever, more than one hurl, head injuries, you get the picture. I've been called to pick up my children from daycare for so many false alarms, at one point the pediatrician shook his head.

Anyway, I had an issue with my daughter recently where she had an upset tummy, and I thought maybe some Maalox and going to the bathroom would do it. Both happened, and I saw no symptoms of anything further, so she went to school. Well, she vomited. But she had no fever, the school nurse said she seemed fine, and my daughter said she wanted to go back to class. The school nurse said it was okay. Oftentimes, throwing up is not a sign of some contagious illness like a stomach virus, and a child will feel better afterward. And life goes on.

But she threw up again. I bet her poor teacher was fit to be tied. I felt bad, because I was wrong. I was also an hour away from her. Her father picked her up (she threw up in the car and a few more times at the house), and then I left work early to take her to the doctor. Supposedly it was the stomach virus, and vomiting and diarrhrea were to follow. They didn't. After a little rest, she was fine and had no more problems.

So, I think she must have eaten something the night before that disagreed with her. But since she hurled a couple of times at school, she certainly couldn't stay there.

Not everything is contagious. And not every parent who may misjudge or who doesn't pick their child up immediately, is uncaring.
So you think its OK that the school had to put up with your daughter throwing up and having to clean it up when she should have been at home to begin with?

There is no way you could have known that her vomiting wasn't something that should have taken her home. In fact I don't care if she didn't have something contagious, she shouldn't have been in the school at all.

There are kinds of reasons beyond being contagious that means she should have been at home, not the least of which could have been her becoming dehydrated.

Wow, way to hand off one of the messier jobs as a parent.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:22 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,118,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
So you think its OK that the school had to put up with your daughter throwing up and having to clean it up when she should have been at home to begin with?

There is no way you could have known that her vomiting wasn't something that should have taken her home. In fact I don't care if she didn't have something contagious, she shouldn't have been in the school at all.

There are kinds of reasons beyond being contagious that means she should have been at home, not the least of which could have been her becoming dehydrated.

Wow, way to hand off one of the messier jobs as a parent.
Oh, please. No, I don't believe that one bout of vomiting makes it absolutely necessary to take a child home and have a whole day of education disrupted. It depends on the circumstances. If she or he is all better, and the clothes are not a mess, then learning needs to go on. If she or he is not, then the child should come home. If the child had vomited neatly in a toilet instead of in a classroom, would the answer be any different?

Side question: How will a child become dehydrated if there is access to fluids at the school (fountain, cafeteria)?

I get that we can agree to disagree, but the judgment and throwing out arguments like dehydration is a bit much, IMO.

If a child wets or soils his pants, should he automatically go home, or should he change his clothes, get cleaned up, and life and learning go on? It depends, doesn't it? And in that situation, someone has to clean up any mess that results, right?

If a child has a bloody nose, should she automatically go home, or, if it stops easily, should she be cleaned up, and life and learning go on? Depends on the injury, circumstances, how the child feels, etc. And there's that mess to clean up, along with any number of messes that occur in a school during the day.

My point, really, is that not much in life is black and white. Except for maybe rushes to judgment, ahem-ahem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting