U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-22-2009, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Lafayette
486 posts, read 1,241,151 times
Reputation: 378

Advertisements

They can't. But the child will remain in the clinic away from tother children and will miss whatever work was assigned. He/She will then have a lot of work to make up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-22-2009, 07:43 AM
 
1,577 posts, read 3,269,912 times
Reputation: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by asonnier View Post
They can't. But the child will remain in the clinic away from tother children and will miss whatever work was assigned. He/She will then have a lot of work to make up!
not totally true. My stepkid used to fake stomach aches when he wanted to get out of tests, but the nurse always bought it. She'd send him back to class to wait for my arrival, because I didn't show up in 2 seconds flat to get him. If they called a 2nd time I'd go get him, but more often than not he was faking to get out of something and for whatever reason the school never caught on to it, so I didn't head down to get him unless I knew for certain it was for real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2009, 11:23 AM
 
1,135 posts, read 1,987,000 times
Reputation: 1478
Default This makes me so angry

Of course parents should be forced to take home sick children. Not only would it feel miserable to be sick at school, but it poses a risk to other students as well.

I got a call from my dd's school today advising me that she had a fever and was complaining of a sore throat (she was fine when she left for school). At the time, I was in the middle of an interview (I'm a newspaper reporter). I told the person I was interviewing my circumstances, made arrangements to call her with any additional questions, called my boss to let him know I wouldn't be back at the office, and went to pick up my kid.

Sure it was inconvenient and I won't be paid for taking the afternoon off, but who cares? My kid was sick and she needed me.

There are other parents who refuse to pick up their sick kids saying they "can't leave work." That's hogwash, IMO. Kids should come first.

Every summer my kids go to a summer recreation day camp at a local state park with a lake. Last year there was a parent who dropped off a child who had been throwing up that morning. The camp counselors noticed something was wrong with the kid and when they found out he was sick they told the parent she couldn't leave him there. She started screaming that she "had to go to work."

Another parent brought a sick kid who ended up puking in the lake, which forced the park ranger to make everyone get out for a while while they attemped to scoop up the floating pile of vomit. What's wrong with some parents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2009, 11:26 AM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,506,936 times
Reputation: 47457
look at the behavior of the juveniles in the school i mean the violent ones, they cant force the parents to do jack, they are just dodging being sued or beat up or raped.
a utterly disfunctional system.
voucher sooner the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2009, 03:20 PM
 
1,577 posts, read 3,269,912 times
Reputation: 530
Your not seeing everyone's point of view. It isn't always that easy. Like one poster stated, the parent WAS a teacher at another school and the dad travelled across country. There's unique cases and in that case they'd have to wait for a sub to get there, assuming dad was out of town.

Don't just assume everyone can do what you can.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
Of course parents should be forced to take home sick children. Not only would it feel miserable to be sick at school, but it poses a risk to other students as well.

I got a call from my dd's school today advising me that she had a fever and was complaining of a sore throat (she was fine when she left for school). At the time, I was in the middle of an interview (I'm a newspaper reporter). I told the person I was interviewing my circumstances, made arrangements to call her with any additional questions, called my boss to let him know I wouldn't be back at the office, and went to pick up my kid.

Sure it was inconvenient and I won't be paid for taking the afternoon off, but who cares? My kid was sick and she needed me.

There are other parents who refuse to pick up their sick kids saying they "can't leave work." That's hogwash, IMO. Kids should come first.

Every summer my kids go to a summer recreation day camp at a local state park with a lake. Last year there was a parent who dropped off a child who had been throwing up that morning. The camp counselors noticed something was wrong with the kid and when they found out he was sick they told the parent she couldn't leave him there. She started screaming that she "had to go to work."

Another parent brought a sick kid who ended up puking in the lake, which forced the park ranger to make everyone get out for a while while they attemped to scoop up the floating pile of vomit. What's wrong with some parents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2009, 04:41 PM
 
Location: California
29,634 posts, read 31,979,723 times
Reputation: 24763
Not everyone can leave work when they get the call (a surgeon is the first thing that comes to mind). And when I worked I was 1 hour away from home. I was fortunate to be a SAHM once my kids started school and was the emergency contact for a couple of kids who's parents were in those kinds of impossible situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2009, 04:53 PM
 
901 posts, read 2,614,566 times
Reputation: 562
All parents should have a backup plan, whether it be family or paid help. In a two parent household, at least one parent should have a more flexable job if they do not have anyone to back them up.

Teachers can leave early to pick up sick children. In my school a coach, support person, administrator, or a teacher with free periods can take over in the case of an emergency. So, I don't buy it that it is impossible for teacher to get away. As for the distance, I would prefer to have my child in a school that is closer to my job, not my home. Of course I understand that it is not always possible, but many of my coworkers have done this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2009, 07:56 PM
 
Location: NC
484 posts, read 1,178,167 times
Reputation: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
Of course parents should be forced to take home sick children. Not only would it feel miserable to be sick at school, but it poses a risk to other students as well.

I got a call from my dd's school today advising me that she had a fever and was complaining of a sore throat (she was fine when she left for school). At the time, I was in the middle of an interview (I'm a newspaper reporter). I told the person I was interviewing my circumstances, made arrangements to call her with any additional questions, called my boss to let him know I wouldn't be back at the office, and went to pick up my kid.

Sure it was inconvenient and I won't be paid for taking the afternoon off, but who cares? My kid was sick and she needed me.

There are other parents who refuse to pick up their sick kids saying they "can't leave work." That's hogwash, IMO. Kids should come first.

Every summer my kids go to a summer recreation day camp at a local state park with a lake. Last year there was a parent who dropped off a child who had been throwing up that morning. The camp counselors noticed something was wrong with the kid and when they found out he was sick they told the parent she couldn't leave him there. She started screaming that she "had to go to work."

Another parent brought a sick kid who ended up puking in the lake, which forced the park ranger to make everyone get out for a while while they attemped to scoop up the floating pile of vomit. What's wrong with some parents?

That's great that you can leave work so quickly when your child is sick. Not everyone can do this.

My kiddo has been out two days with the flu. On Wed when I picked her up. She got into the car crying and saw the look on her face.. She said she felt awful and cried at lunch. I did tell her that she NEEDS to call me to pick her up if she feels so awful.. as she does not need to be suffering like that! She was burning up. 102.01fever.

It would be nice to have a back up plan to have a trusted friend or family member pick her up should I not be able to right away. But I am always able to. All I need to do is log out of my job's service platform on my pc at home and drive 10 minutes. I'm sorry, but other than my Husband who works 40 minutes away, there is not a soul that I trust driving my child around or being alone with her. I've moved recently and have'nt made any friends yet. Family is far away.
Not every parent can just get up and leave their job at the moment the school calls even though they wish they could.

BTW.. I wonder how many other schools there are, that only have the School Nurse there one day a week. is this weird? I have gotten alot of calls from the front desk lady telling me my kid is sick come pick her up. Some of the times, I would go to the school and I would NOT pick her up as she was not looking very sick to me to miss the rest of a school day. The times where I did indeed felt she was ill enough to come home, of course I would pick her up.

Last edited by AutumnOrange3; 05-22-2009 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2009, 11:25 PM
 
3,422 posts, read 9,450,320 times
Reputation: 1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsncharms View Post
\

BTW.. I wonder how many other schools there are, that only have the School Nurse there one day a week. is this weird? I have gotten alot of calls from the front desk lady telling me my kid is sick come pick her up. Some of the times, I would go to the school and I would NOT pick her up as she was not looking very sick to me to miss the rest of a school day. The times where I did indeed felt she was ill enough to come home, of course I would pick her up.
Our school has a health aide there every day. The nurse floats. I have never seen her except for her pic in the yearbook. I am not sure if she actually spends much time at any one location and I am not sure how many schools she is responsible for.

As far as I know, the need for an actual nurse is because of kids needing prescription medications, like kids that need to come and get their asthma inhaler, insulin, ADHD meds.... I am not sure how that is handled. Other than that the health aide works out really well. She gives first aid, and can determine if a child is sick enough to call parents. It saves money for the district versus a LPN/RN salary. I think its a good idea to have her there along with the rest of the staff though, as she stays busy and so does the secretary. I can't imagine if our secretary had to do first aid on top of everything else she does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2009, 06:51 AM
 
1,577 posts, read 3,269,912 times
Reputation: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
All parents should have a backup plan, whether it be family or paid help. In a two parent household, at least one parent should have a more flexable job if they do not have anyone to back them up.

Teachers can leave early to pick up sick children. In my school a coach, support person, administrator, or a teacher with free periods can take over in the case of an emergency. So, I don't buy it that it is impossible for teacher to get away. As for the distance, I would prefer to have my child in a school that is closer to my job, not my home. Of course I understand that it is not always possible, but many of my coworkers have done this.
What if:

you can't afford paid help

and the family you refer to also works or lives far away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top